1 2 3 4
TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP Reader
6/5/18 7:44 p.m.

That should work, great little car.

I bet you will have lots of fun with this.....

MarshHoltRacing
MarshHoltRacing New Reader
6/5/18 10:06 p.m.

Hey thanks for the idea TED_fiestaHP!

The paint on the header really sucks but oh well. welded on the v-band and the o2 bung

acheron64
acheron64 New Reader
6/6/18 3:24 a.m.

I miss working on French cars....

can your source in France find you Renault 16 TSmotor, that's what we used.

MarshHoltRacing
6/24/18 12:27 p.m.
Slippery
Slippery SuperDork
6/24/18 12:32 p.m.

Very neat!

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy UltraDork
6/24/18 12:42 p.m.

Cool car. You guys who do these things while living in an apartment, amaze me. Keep up the good work.

MarshHoltRacing
6/24/18 1:10 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Barely Functional-Guy :

Thanks! Yeah its a bit of a drag. I try to plan everything out ahead of time and put all of the loose parts in the trunk when I finish up. I try to make it look like its still driveable. When I did the tuning, I limped it over to the shopping mall parking lot by me so I could open it up, set the timing, points, jets, etc. No one seemed to care.

I have to pull the motor the redo the pan and main seals, but I think ill do that at my work next weekend, when no one is around. I used to have a full shop in Tucson with a cnc mill and router and lathe, where I could make loud noises and big messes into the wee hours of the night. But oh well, there are always trade-offs

MarshHoltRacing
6/24/18 10:33 p.m.

Got the carb and timing dialed in....now im doing a bit of research on Aisin MR2/Previa Superchargers. 

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
6/24/18 11:53 p.m.

That sits so right.

MarshHoltRacing
6/25/18 6:55 p.m.

I love the ride height. Its high enough that it doesnt scrape on speedbumps/driveways. I was considering machining centers and building 3 piece 15" wheels, but the old steelies are growing on me.

I am convinced the rear main seal is gone and I am spraying oil while driving. Ordered up a gasket set,  and Im hoping I can redo the seals after the 4th.

In addition, I am potentially picking up another 688 1108cc next monday. From there, I can start mocking up supercharger mounting 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/25/18 8:40 p.m.

Do you have an electronic ignition? I bought one before I started buying parts for a drivetrain swap. I believe it fits the Bosch distributor. I also have an extra 688 that wont be used, so if you need a head, manifolds, or something that ships easily let me know.

MarshHoltRacing
6/26/18 3:01 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

Thats kind of you! I'll let you know. I have the Ducellier dizzy in mine. I think the spare motor has one too. When I supercharge it, Ill set up some kind of boost reference. I have a pile of spare points as well. Its funny, When I set up EFI & ITBs on my 283 1957 chevy, I kept burning up pertronix, and just went back to the points. :) 

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
6/26/18 3:23 p.m.

I've come back to this thread just to look at the pics of your car like five times. As Jumper said, it just looks so right. Keep up the great work keeping this treasure alive.

MarshHoltRacing
6/26/18 9:37 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

Thanks! I just read your X1/9 build. really nice wiring. Those Jenvey DNCFs look great.

Also, nice shaper! wink

Slippery
Slippery SuperDork
6/26/18 10:05 p.m.

The car looks great. Everytime I see this thread pop-up I start looking at craigslist for one of these unicorns. 

MarshHoltRacing
6/26/18 10:32 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Renault-R10/232820621225?hash=item363530bfa9:g:GTkAAOSwE9RbMR8g

Heres one in Illinois!

I got into rear engine french cars when I was 18 and bought this 1969 Simca 1118. The motor was frozen and I didn't really know how to source part then. Anyway, I wanted to build a turbo ITB setup for the 1118cc watercooled 4 so I built a foundry, a CNC router to cut the hardwood molds, and converted a 5000lb Hurco data-tape CNC to run on a PC to machine parts. Here we are 10 years later, I still have the simca at my parents house in Arizona, and I am building a smaller, apt friendly desktop CNC to finish the ITB setup for the simca, and to machine parts for the renault.

Slippery
Slippery SuperDork
6/26/18 10:43 p.m.

Illinois to me = rust surprise

I underatand the satisfaction of making your own parts, and from what I have seen you have access to quite a bit of equipment, but if you get stuck and need help PM me. I have a both CNC lathe (live tooling, etc) and mills up to 4 axis. I would be glad to help any way I can. 

Slippery
Slippery SuperDork
6/26/18 10:44 p.m.

That Simca looks really cool also. 

I always wanted an Alpine or a Dinalpin, but those are $$$

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
6/27/18 10:00 a.m.
MarshHoltRacing said:

I got into rear engine french cars when I was 18 and bought this 1969 Simca 1118. The motor was frozen and I didn't really know how to source part then. Anyway, I wanted to build a turbo ITB setup for the 1118cc watercooled 4 so I built a foundry, a CNC router to cut the hardwood molds, and converted a 5000lb Hurco data-tape CNC to run on a PC to machine parts. Here we are 10 years later, I still have the simca at my parents house in Arizona, and I am building a smaller, apt friendly desktop CNC to finish the ITB setup for the simca, and to machine parts for the renault.

Good Grief that is RAD!

I will pick one nit and point out that if you had changed the plane that the lower arms are mounted at you could have dialed out some of the pro-dive geometry that is inherent in these transverse leaf setups. The Fiat front suspension that Ransom and I are designing went from 15 percent pro-dive to 12 percent Anti-dive with a small angle change at the lower arm mounts.

We seem to have similar tastes and ideas. I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
6/27/18 10:20 a.m.
MarshHoltRacing said:

In reply to Mezzanine :

Thanks! I just read your X1/9 build. really nice wiring. Those Jenvey DNCFs look great.

Also, nice shaper! wink

Aww, I'm blushing. cheeky Thanks, that made my day. Also, that Simca. It's beautiful.

MarshHoltRacing
6/27/18 11:41 a.m.

In reply to Jumper K Balls :

Did you raise the pivot point up? Got any notes or pics? I am planning on redoing the front crossmember of the simca. I am designing it in Solidworks so I can cut it on our tube & sheet laser. I think the 850  chassis is very similar to the 1118. I think they were part of the same design effort. Id love to see what you guys did.

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
6/27/18 12:18 p.m.

I will ping Ransom to join in. He has the hard numbers. I am betting since Fiat designed that chassis it uses the same 9 degree caster angle that the 600 and 850 cars use. We brought the lower arm angle down to something like 4 degrees.

What I did learn is that there are so many ways you can get it wrong and getting it right involves a lot of things trying to occupy the same space as other things.  

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
6/27/18 3:24 p.m.

Digging it up, we brought the lower control arm's pivot down to 3 degrees from horizontal from the original 9, giving us about 2.5% theoretical anti-dive; awfully close to none, but a big gain over the previous 14% pro-dive. These are all based on estimated weight, CG, distribution... That ".5" on the anti suggests an accuracy that we really don't have, but for comparison within an otherwise similar model, it seems enough to give an idea of scale.

We used Susprog3D, really starting with measurements and observations from an Abarth 850, made some alterations for fitment and then kept iterating manually while just trying to make sure that we didn't create problems where none existed, and improved things where it was clear we could. This application uses a very short upper control arm, and that wasn't something we were able to change for packaging reasons. So we made small adjustments and tried to keep the roll center movement small, watched tire scrub... Really just tried to undo the obviously bad things while not trying to be so clever as to introduce new problems. It was often remarkable and non-intuitive how much change you'd see in, for instance, roll center height variation with bump travel with some small change.

Susprog3D is a pretty remarkable program, especially for the price, and the ability to see the results of changes is massive. I suspect some of the pricier programs are slicker, or maybe have tools to do things that we did with spreadsheets, and I have to wonder whether Solidworks has some tools that would allow you to do some of the same analysis.

MarshHoltRacing
6/27/18 5:10 p.m.

In reply to Ransom :

Interesting. When you say you went from 9 to 3 degrees, did you bring the pivot up then? I'm just trying to picture it in my mind. the 850 and the 1000 simca have nearly the same pickup points on the front. The simca uses a balljoint for the lower leaf joint where the fiat is a trunnion/kingpin sort of arrangement. I hear you on the tight packaging on the upper a arm!

I can devise a Solidworks model with sensors that can output throughout the range of motion

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
6/27/18 5:19 p.m.

Damn. Ransom and Ditch bringing the TECH. Who would have guessed you'd find this kind of suspension analysis here? Best forum ever.  Case closed.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HbPVA0hvbJ8EOqsUeJShzWlcT4VqbOtQZfYhNyI6wM8GnIbZ18ZinoBOQQa3EpHu