2 3 4 5 6
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
4/30/15 7:17 p.m.

Got some more work done on the brakes today. Removed the passenger side wheel cylinders and they were typical of a car that has sat for 30+ years.

So, I pulled out the pistons and seals, cleaned the gunk out, then hand sanded the insides of the cylinders and pistons. Cleaned up and lubed everything and reassembled them.

Hope to knock out the other side tomorrow.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
5/1/15 8:07 p.m.

Well all the brakes are sorted out. Rebuilt all the wheel cylinders and I have decided that even though everything will work for now, the entire system need replacement. Metal lines, rubber hoses, shoes, drums turned, wheel cylinders, and all the drum hardware for all 4 wheels.

Right now, I don't have the $180 I need for a new prebent line set I want, but everything is looking ok execept for the random line that's leaking right now that I have tear things apart to look for so I can replace that line, I want to get the system bled.

The shop rag on the floor is where it's leaking from.

The more I dig into the car, the more I'm finding stuff that needs to be replaced and random rust. It's not bad, it's just a lot more work ahead of me.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
5/1/15 8:16 p.m.

A brake job is what started the frame off on the elky. That was three yeaes and $8000 ago. Dont be me. Fix the problem and leave well enough alone.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
5/1/15 10:10 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

The main goal is to be able to drive it, hopefully this year.

In a couple years when I actually start restoring this car, it's going to be tedious. There are body filler cracks all over this car AND the bozo who did the bodywork filled in the inner fender drain holes, so I imagine it's been rusting from the inside out.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
5/13/15 8:50 a.m.

So after a year and a half, I was able to finally push it out of the garage and take some good pictures of it.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
5/13/15 9:21 a.m.

That is sexy.

dj06482
dj06482 SuperDork
5/13/15 9:33 a.m.

Love it!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
5/16/15 9:07 p.m.

So I had my DOH! moment of the day. I needed a new adjuster for the front right brake drum to replace the one I mangled, so when I was at the Vair Shop earlier this week, I rummaged through the brake parts and found one.

When I got home, I realized I grabbed one for the left side.

When I go back I'll grab the correct one.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/17/15 5:18 a.m.

Is that a Corsa dash or did all Corvairs get that by '68?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
5/18/15 1:49 a.m.
Woody wrote: Is that a Corsa dash or did all Corvairs get that by '68?

That's a Corsa dash. '65 and '66 only. By '67 they just went 3 pods on everything.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
5/18/15 7:53 a.m.

Very cool project. I always loved the old corvairs. That vinyl roof just makes the whole are look like a different car. I like it.

Cool_Hand_Luke
Cool_Hand_Luke Reader
5/18/15 5:45 p.m.

Your dad must be one cool dude. Excited for more

Stang_guy03
Stang_guy03 New Reader
5/18/15 6:47 p.m.

Just tagging this up for the complete read! What I read of it earlier this way cool thread!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
5/23/15 12:54 a.m.

So I pulled the interior tonight. The floor has a lot of surface rust, like more than I care for. I don't see any holes and everything looks to be solid.

I think that I'm just going to hit the floor with a wire wheel and hit it with POR 15.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
5/23/15 6:31 a.m.

Dont hit with wire wheel. Just a plain old wire brush, and por 15. Better if you can do all the steps ofdegreasing and metal ready.

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon SuperDork
5/23/15 7:22 a.m.

Yeah, don't hit the floor. I recommend smooth back and forth motions.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
5/23/15 11:09 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Dont hit with wire wheel. Just a plain old wire brush, and por 15. Better if you can do all the steps ofdegreasing and metal ready.

I actually will have to in a few spots. The original carpet has a horse hair style insulation underneath it and because the carpet got soaked and sat, the material is now stuck to the metal. I have been in this situation before and usually a wire wheel is handy in getting it off.

spyder62
spyder62 New Reader
6/10/15 12:35 a.m.

Great looking car, Just finished the 4 wheel disc conversion on my 66 Yenko clone. Will be my track day and maybe vintage race car.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
9/12/15 4:53 p.m.

So I have not touched this thing all summer and I'm kind of bummed out. I really am at the point that I can't do much without money.

I have a buddy that lives near by now that likes to help me out, so my new motivation is that next year the CORSA National Convention is in Springfield, IL. Hopefully through the winter and next spring I can get this thing road worthy.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
9/12/15 5:24 p.m.

Shoot a message to me or my wife before you head down next spring. We'll grab lunch or something.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
9/12/15 8:06 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

Oh for sure.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
9/12/15 9:30 p.m.

those are the best looking steering wheels. The 240Z's had those too.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
9/12/15 9:37 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: In reply to Dusterbd13: The main goal is to be able to drive it, hopefully this year. In a couple years when I actually start restoring this car, it's going to be tedious. There are body filler cracks all over this car AND the bozo who did the bodywork filled in the inner fender drain holes, so I imagine it's been rusting from the inside out.

the issue you may run into with that is ending up like me, enjoying driving it too much to risk having it off the road for any extended time periods!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
9/13/15 8:45 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: those are the best looking steering wheels. The 240Z's had those too.

That is a '65-'67 Corvette steering wheel. I do like it myself.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
10/24/15 7:47 p.m.

So this bastard realllllllly does not want to be started.

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B3k08fgOqqK1vkgZNXCEFhpeJTNOWTQvDKQPaaykcvqVGQfyTJoBDccf2P1Njy1N