damarble
damarble Reader
7/26/21 3:49 p.m.

This took an odd turn.

damarble
damarble Reader
7/26/21 9:01 p.m.

About 5" out of the middle and 3" off each end. Once it's full stitched together I'm going to take 2-3" out vertically too. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/26/21 9:17 p.m.

What is that from? The hvac controls are wild!

damarble
damarble Reader
7/26/21 10:33 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

55 Fairlane. Too bad they don't fit the style of the car so I won't be using them. Shoot, I may not even have a heater. 

neatus
neatus
7/27/21 4:28 p.m.

Welp, just read nine pages.  Stumbled upon this thread when looking up info on doing a 2.3 EcoBoost swap into my 73 Datsun 620.  Your documentation is much appreciated and your hard work even more.  Thanks for sharing and I will keep following.

damarble
damarble Reader
7/27/21 7:20 p.m.

In reply to neatus :

Don't do it, it's wrong to have a Ford engine in a Datsun!

Really though, it hasn't been the easiest fit, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

damarble
damarble Reader
7/27/21 9:09 p.m.

Add another make to the build. Scored a 3" full exhaust kit from a turbo VW. I'll chop it up and hopefully it'll do most of the job without supplementing too much more pipe.  

neatus
neatus New Reader
7/28/21 10:26 a.m.

In reply to damarble :

Ha!  I'm probably gonna do it!  Nice exhaust.....

damarble
damarble Reader
7/28/21 11:45 a.m.

In reply to neatus :

When you're ready for engine management I'll point you to my guy. 2.0Ls are also back on the table with his support. Ever since FRPP pulled the 2.0L control pack it's been rough using a 2.0L, look at what TVR Scott went through. Had I started this project now instead of 8 months ago I would be going 2.0L, they are soooo much cheaper. 

damarble
damarble Reader
7/29/21 7:23 p.m.

I like where this is heading.

Sgt_Sizzle
Sgt_Sizzle New Reader
7/30/21 2:48 p.m.

Gotta love old school all steel dashes. Always ready to lovingly catch you in the event of a front end collision. Keep up the good work, i like where this is going.

neatus
neatus New Reader
8/2/21 8:59 p.m.

In reply to damarble :

I am actually still interested in the 2.3l.  I hope your buddy has that engine management all figured out.  There are a gazillion wrecked Mustangs between Phoenix and Tucson auctions where I live.

damarble
damarble Reader
8/2/21 10:33 p.m.
neatus said:

In reply to damarble :

I am actually still interested in the 2.3l.  I hope your buddy has that engine management all figured out.  There are a gazillion wrecked Mustangs between Phoenix and Tucson auctions where I live.

It seems pretty solid from early testing.

My glove box came today so I wasted no time hacking it up. Purely by coincidence the cut lines lined up - on the front. The back side I had to swerve around the latch catch area. 

neatus
neatus New Reader
8/3/21 2:45 p.m.

Looks pretty good!

damarble
damarble Reader
8/7/21 9:07 p.m.

This week was hectic and I didn't touch the car, but I spent a little more time today trimming away oem steel. The intercooler is sitting on a frame crossmember that's not allowing it to drop any further but I'm probably going to notch that too. It has a pretty aggressive lean and you can see a glimmer peaking out from behind the hood scoop. 

damarble
damarble Reader
8/18/21 12:16 p.m.

No progress lately, super busy and threw my back out. I did add another toy to the stable. I guess at this point I have a type, itty bitty Japanese cars. New thread or mix it in here? 

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/18/21 12:34 p.m.

You should buy my 2.0 Ecoboost and 6 speed and make this 2WD....... on second thought that would be a bad idea smiley

We had one of these in the 80's as a work truck to do deliveries. Had the non-convertible version, driving it on the beltway felt like a tin box. It was fun but we traded it for an S10 we could haul more stuff. Will be interested in what you do with it, these are really mini jeeps.

damarble
damarble Reader
8/18/21 1:22 p.m.

In reply to dherr (Forum Supporter) :

Ranger 4x4 transmissions will bolt up too...

All I'm doing right now is correcting a few things while I daily it. The future probably holds an Aerio 2.3 or VW 1.9

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
8/18/21 5:56 p.m.

BUWNA!

damarble
damarble Reader
8/18/21 6:52 p.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:

BUWNA!

Now is it pronounced boo-na or bew-na?

10001110101 New Reader
8/18/21 7:42 p.m.

In reply to damarble :

There is a thread in the car lounge where a fella dropped a Volkswagen ABA motor into one. 

damarble
damarble Reader
8/18/21 8:29 p.m.

In reply to 10001110101 :

I will check that out, but I'm not a big VW guy and only interested in the 1.9 because deezul. Honestly it's probably just going to end up getting the motor from whatever $500 Esteem pops up.

damarble
damarble Reader
8/19/21 2:54 p.m.

Another idea. This doesn't improve the horsepower situation much, but I do happen to have an Isuzu 4FB1 and 2wd 5spd from a Chevette. This swap has actually been done into a few Samurais. They take a turbo pretty well apparently. 

neatus
neatus New Reader
8/25/21 9:56 a.m.

In reply to damarble :

I would leave it 4x4 and swap in a Geo Tracker motor or Sidekick 1.6 motor.  Did one about 12 years ago.  Is a nice and easy swap and adds a little more horespower and fuel injection.  Makes it into a tiny super billy goat!

Fairlady68
Fairlady68
8/27/21 8:02 a.m.

In reply to damarble :

I would be interested in "your guys" contact info.  I have a '68 datsun myself that I have been trying to figure out what engine to put in it.  Pretty sure I have settled on the 2.0 but would be great to talk to someone that has done some engine management with them before I pull the trigger.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qZU9HscNV9U6zieJefnEb00x8CjwHVMkguV2saVVKhYaPBwZkHS5ioWluldcCE8c