1 2 3
Clifton
Clifton New Reader
3/30/16 4:26 p.m.

I bought the tubing, bends and misc from Columbia River tubing

I necked the manifold down from 2.5" to 2" with a 7 degree cone. After the collector it is 2.5" up to the turbo flange. Unfortunately I don't have a tig welder. Everything is mig welded using argon.

BMWGeoff
BMWGeoff New Reader
4/1/16 2:22 p.m.

My first day on the forum and I find this... I'm home.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
4/1/16 9:28 p.m.
BMWGeoff wrote: My first day on the forum and I find this... I'm home.

Indeed you are!

I'd love to see (hear) a video when it is running.

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
4/4/16 1:07 p.m.

Hnnnnnggggggg Lotus <3

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
4/4/16 1:51 p.m.

Manifold looks great, can't wait to see more from this awesome car.

Clifton
Clifton New Reader
9/3/21 11:48 a.m.

I didn't realize I never updated this. I'll post some more pics from the build.

I made a dual master cylinder mount that bolted to the frame withh the factory holes and linkage. On the rear brakes, I made a bracket and used an off the shelf hat. Hub is from an 85 MR2. I cut the top off the upright and made it  a sla suspension. My control arms are very short due to were the engine is but I made it work pretty good. I used  http://vsusp.com        

to determine the pick up points, angles, etc.

There was an online brake calculator I used but it is nla.

Clifton
Clifton New Reader
9/3/21 11:49 a.m.

Clifton
Clifton New Reader
9/3/21 11:51 a.m.

Clifton
Clifton New Reader
9/3/21 12:02 p.m.

In reply to Clifton :

I used the factory harness and wired everything not original Lotus into a separate fuse box with mini relays, fans, ecu, fuel pump, a/c. This separate box is not hard wired as it needs to come out for engine removal. The factory engine harness does not though. I used the factory ecu with the rev limit bumped to 7600.

Clifton
Clifton New Reader
9/3/21 12:15 p.m.

In reply to Clifton :

I used a Vintage air a/c with heat. It weighed less than the factory heater. I made some brackets to do a front mount radiator. Europa's use a small fender dump one. The front trunk is pressurized and flows through the radiator mounted in front of the passenger wheel. Radiator and condenser weighed less than the factory brass radiator.

Clifton
Clifton New Reader
9/3/21 12:55 p.m.

For the fuel pump, I welded a bung to the bottom of the tank and used a low pressure pump to feed a surge tank with a Bosch pump inside. It was loud as F.  I searched every tank I could and found that I could make work in the tight confines, a 98 Mustang. I bought a hi flow  Walbro and new tank and cut the top off and took the sump out. I cut a big hole in the side of mine and made them one. I tacked the sump to the bottom of the tank and welded the ring on. I used a shop vac on blow to pressure test with some Windex.

silent.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/3/21 1:45 p.m.
mblommel said:

In reply to Scott_H:

I think we need to know more about this Scorpion.

I second this request. This Lotus is awesome and I just subscribed..... but the Scorpion needs a build thread as well!

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/3/21 5:18 p.m.

So cool to see this one pop back up.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
9/3/21 5:31 p.m.

Oh this is wonderful timing. I'm just now digging into my own 2GR Europa project. I like that tank idea.

Clifton
Clifton New Reader
9/3/21 6:28 p.m.

I used the MR2 shifter and lengthen the cables. I had to painfully open a big hole in the frame to insert it down inside. I don't have a picture of it but I made a piece or of steel sheet that covers the giant hole and it screws to the frame about every inch about to add the rigidity back. The cover plate has a hole just small enough for shifter movement. I ran my a/c lines through the frame too so it is nice to get in there.

Clifton
Clifton New Reader
9/3/21 6:34 p.m.

I used an E153 LSD trans. I bought a complete 91 V6 Camry trans as they have a 3.6 FD. I used the ring and pinion and pump from that. They are an E series but fwd. Cheaper than buying everything seperate but a lot of work. Ring gear is on the right.

Clifton
Clifton New Reader
9/3/21 6:39 p.m.

Intercooler fans have temp control to come on for heat and will also come on at boost onset  and runs off a Hella timer relay for 30 seconds after boost ends

Clifton
Clifton New Reader
9/3/21 6:51 p.m.

I wanted to make my own flares and follow the body line but  I didn't want to spend 6 more months on this so I bought a set on Ebay from Poland. I made some plugs from them to test before cutting into them. I ended up adding to them front, rear, and widening them a little but it still save a lot of time. I only used a little on the fronts and foamed the rest, covered with glass and removed the foam underneath.

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI New Reader
9/3/21 8:37 p.m.

Wow I like this. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
9/4/21 11:54 a.m.

Love the 10-spoke wheels.  They look hamazing 

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
9/4/21 5:18 p.m.

What size and offset front wheels are you running? I dig the front brake setup and copied it for my car, thanks for the drawings a while back!

Clifton
Clifton New Reader
9/4/21 6:46 p.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :

You're welcome. How far are you on yours? If you need any thing or links, let me know.

Wheels are Advanti Storm, F 15x8 +25, R 15x9 +35. They are Miata fitment, pretty light too. Good-win-racing carries them and some others in this size. The fronts barely touch the inner body on full lock. I had to cut the outer inside of the wheel well (not the body) and move it back about half inch for clearance, about 3 " wide. I had the front hubs offset machined from 4x3.75" to 4x100 and used a large shank Dodge stud to take up the extra room.

Clifton
Clifton New Reader
9/4/21 6:48 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Do you have a thread? Are you using the E153 or something else? Boxter trans?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
9/5/21 1:22 p.m.

In reply to Clifton :

Yes I have a Solara e153. Hoping to use the stock Toyota Avalon axles and knuckles since that's the donor car I have. Spline counts seem to be the same but I haven't really dug that far yet. What did you do for axles and hubs/knuckles? 

I've just been accumulatomg parts but I'm starting a thread this week. 

Clifton
Clifton New Reader
9/5/21 2:37 p.m.

I used 85 MR2 hubs. I cut the top strut part off and bolted a plate on the bottom to widen the pickup points. Then made a a double wishbone for it. Toyota made a sports racer and used mostly MR2 suspension and did the same or similar on it. On the axles I had a company assemble an AW11 outer spline CV and E153 inner CV. I believe it was an 88 V6 Camry outer. I looked for a bookmark I had that listed all the out CV splines and dimensions. I can't find it but I did find this one https://sites.google.com/site/modifierle/mk1.5instructinos

To do over, if the engine fits in the factory frame, IDK but I would see and then see if I could use a Boxster/Audi trans. It is a lot of work to make the frame and rear suspension as there is not much room. I made my shock mounts bolt on for room but didn't need too. All the wiring unplugs to make removal easier. I can lift the engine and trans, rotate 90 degrees and lift it out with a spotter. It's tight.

Top of hub cut off.

Not much room. Trans sits almost against the frame by the gas tank.

Outer adjuster for toe.

Rotated to remove

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NrAIXbO1axMWBkyL4Wz4ZklcVGkcpFSBWyl4xgNBzUlLXEekRtSWJu3SQLA8ir4j