solfly Reader
3/4/15 2:22 p.m.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
3/8/15 8:08 a.m.
84FSP
84FSP Reader
3/8/15 9:05 a.m.

Very nice! What kind of rpms were you turning at highway spped?

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
3/8/15 9:50 a.m.

"What the hell are you doing!" ha ha, that is a good sign.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
3/8/15 11:47 a.m.
84FSP wrote: Very nice! What kind of rpms were you turning at highway spped?

Thanks! With the lack of front end alignment, I only brought it up to 55mph / 2800 rpm. According to the Gear Calculator, 70 would be 3500 rpm

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
3/9/15 5:33 a.m.
Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
3/9/15 5:42 a.m.
petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
3/9/15 5:45 a.m.

The direct-drive worked out way better than I imagined. I expected you'd end up with a 30mph useable range max, but you have much more than that. How are you planning to work out reverse though?

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
3/9/15 6:09 a.m.
petegossett wrote: The direct-drive worked out way better than I imagined. I expected you'd end up with a 30mph useable range max, but you have much more than that. How are you planning to work out reverse though?

I have a starter/generator from a gas golf cart connected to the rear axle yoke to provide battery charging and slow electric forward and reverse movement. I don't expect to need it much though. I have been driving my Suzuki Reverse Trike

Suzuki Carrabusa

for two years and you quickly get in the habit of pulling thru parking spaces and finding lots of opportunities to take advantage of gravity for rolling backwards.

The transmissionless Daihatsu also has a Hydraulic Line Lock to hold the clutch in the disengaged position for tuning etc.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
3/9/15 7:58 a.m.
Ben_Modified wrote:
SilverFleet wrote: http://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/a-lunatic-is-building-a-small-block-v8-powered-1970-daihatsu-hijet-this-thing-is-off-the-charts-wild/ Just gonna leave this right here...
Great! Thanks so much!

No problem man. Such a cool little trucklet! And glad to see you got it up and running!

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
3/9/15 9:40 a.m.

In reply to Ben_Modified:

Cool, I'm not familiar with carts so I had no idea they have one device sharing the duties of the starter & generator...it makes perfect sense though. It seems like it may be subjected to higher RPMs on your build though, do you think it will hold up?

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
3/9/15 5:43 p.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to Ben_Modified: Cool, I'm not familiar with carts so I had no idea they have one device sharing the duties of the starter & generator...it makes perfect sense though. It seems like it may be subjected to higher RPMs on your build though, do you think it will hold up?

I am not expecting any real problems from it, but if it does not work out, an automotive generator can be converted to do the same thing.

BenModified.com

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
3/10/15 10:15 a.m.

You are now "Facebook Famous". BOTH GRM and Bangshift shared your build on there just now!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
3/10/15 11:52 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: You are now "Facebook Famous". BOTH GRM and Bangshift shared your build on there just now!

Cool. Thanks Again!

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
3/10/15 7:52 p.m.

The hive demands slicks, burnout, and a video of that glorious wheel stand that follows.

84FSP
84FSP Reader
3/10/15 8:54 p.m.

Amazed at the reasonable rpms across the broad range of rpms. + 1 on the burnout video...

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
3/17/15 6:44 p.m.

Installing the Gauges. Being direct drive, with no transmission speedometer output, I will add an extra set of marking on the tach for both functions.

My Site

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
3/24/15 5:59 p.m.
Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
4/3/15 9:41 p.m.

Wiring is done.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
4/6/15 11:55 a.m.

This is awesome! Why did I not see this until now??

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
4/8/15 8:49 p.m.

After waiting for a couple of weeks, my rear glass seal/gasket finally came in. Installed the glass and finished up the steering column relocation (to make room for my knees)

My Build Blog

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
4/9/15 12:38 p.m.

Any room for a Gear Vendors overdrive or similar?

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
4/9/15 3:10 p.m.
Jerry From LA wrote: Any room for a Gear Vendors overdrive or similar?

Not with the stock wheelbase. I could move the rear axle back and make room for one or a shorty powerglide, but as it is, its an grossly overpowered go cart and just doesn't need any gearing changes. Also, I like that it is such a sleeper and don't want an altered wheelbase to give it away.

My Other Projects

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
4/12/15 9:34 a.m.

Parts have come in! Time to install the various pieces to correct a positive camber and insufficient caster front alignment issue. The front axle uses screw-in fasteners to mount and lock in the upper ball joint in the knuckle. By replacing the stock component with this offset one, I can bring the top of the wheel back in to alignment. This piece can also affect the caster, but probably not to the degree needed. I will likely also need to insert a leaf spring shim as the factory configuration was only laying the axle back a single degree. 6 degrees should make it much more stable at speed.

My Build Blog of Odd Projects

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
4/23/15 1:39 p.m.
Ben_Modified wrote: Parts have come in! Time to install the various pieces to correct a positive camber and insufficient caster front alignment issue. The front axle uses screw-in fasteners to mount and lock in the upper ball joint in the knuckle. By replacing the stock component with this offset one, I can bring the top of the wheel back in to alignment. This piece can also affect the caster, but probably not to the degree needed. I will likely also need to insert a leaf spring shim as the factory configuration was only laying the axle back a single degree. 6 degrees should make it much more stable at speed. My Build Blog of Odd Projects

All of the alignment fixes are installed. I took it out for a long ride today and it drives and tracks much better! I had two cars catch up to me at stop lights to find out why this little truck was so fast! As the truck is direct drive, I am using the tach as both a tach and speedometer. I took my gps along to note the relationship between rpms and mphs. Turns out the online gear calculator was exactly right and luckily the mph are exactly twice the rpm. My tach lists the revs as 10, 20, 30 etc….so 20 = 40 mph and so on. I drove about 20 miles in 85 degree heat. Motor temp in traffic was 180 - 200 degrees. This is with no thermostat and only water in the radiator. My other GrassRoots Build Thread

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ahsXTRt6eTNEcvmj6ymN7EzOFyTGX9zyYAKUabPuVB6NNrJEVmAboBKDfHLRHZ31