2 3 4 5 6
Mkguyvr
Mkguyvr None
4/30/15 1:01 p.m.

Hey Ben, Ive been watching your builds ever since i came across your channel on Youtube, I was doing research on Kei trucks and vans and saw this build and the Carry-Bussa. I am inspired by the projects you have done and are doing, your shop is awesome. Anyway I bought a 1989 Daihatsu Hijet van last September with the intention of just having fun with it and saving some gas, now I am installing a GL1800 Goldwing engine into it. I am a little more than half way done now, I am going to start a post on this forum . Just wanted to say great work, btw the truckster sheet metal work was some of my favorite video to watch, cant wait to see what you do next. Guy

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
4/30/15 6:33 p.m.
Mkguyvr wrote: Hey Ben, Ive been watching your builds ever since i came across your channel on Youtube, I was doing research on Kei trucks and vans and saw this build and the Carry-Bussa. I am inspired by the projects you have done and are doing, your shop is awesome. Anyway I bought a 1989 Daihatsu Hijet van last September with the intention of just having fun with it and saving some gas, now I am installing a GL1800 Goldwing engine into it. I am a little more than half way done now, I am going to start a post on this forum . Just wanted to say great work, btw the truckster sheet metal work was some of my favorite video to watch, cant wait to see what you do next. Guy

Thank you so much! Can't wait to see some photos of the van and the motor install. Doesn't the GL1800 have a built in reverse? That motor should provide plenty of smooth power!

Mkguyvr
Mkguyvr New Reader
5/1/15 10:59 a.m.

In reply to Ben_Modified: Yes the reverse is the starter that is engaged by a servo to a reverse gear, it only works while the bike is running as to not drain the battery. Heres the name of my build thread, Daihatsu Hijet Van/ Goldwing GL1800 Engine, I would have liked to have found one of those Subaru 350 vans like you have for this project but these little vans are not easy to come by especially in good condition.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
5/16/15 12:00 p.m.

Took the HotRod HiJet to a car show recently.

youTube Playlist for this Build

Links to Build Videos and Photos

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
7/30/15 8:02 a.m.

I have had a few requests for a tour of the shop/projects. If you are interested, here is a link.

Shop Tour

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
9/2/15 1:49 p.m.

Shop motor coming out and crate motor going in…..finally!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
9/15/15 6:58 p.m.

Spun the oil pump and primed the engine today….more to come

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
9/15/15 9:09 p.m.

Man, one of my life's goals is to get to the point where I can say "okay I guess I'll just throw in the walking-around engine while I wait for the good one to get built."

Another is to see what this thing is like with even more power.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
9/16/15 5:26 p.m.
ssswitch wrote: Man, one of my life's goals is to get to the point where I can say "okay I guess I'll just throw in the walking-around engine while I wait for the good one to get built." Another is to see what this thing is like with even more power.

yes, every garage should have at least a couple of engines sitting in the corner!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
9/16/15 5:33 p.m.

Motor is out. I have several small things to finish up now that I have the room and still need to install the flywheel and clearance and install the new water pump before the crate motor can go in.

I took a couple of good shots of the one speed.

The Build Videos!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
10/10/15 9:22 p.m.

Well, slow progress is better than no progress.

I clearanced and installed the water pump

Installed the flywheel and clutch

Clearanced the engine cradle around the fuel pump for a bit more room.

Finished up the engine cradle coil over

Reinstalled the radiator and fabricated a deflector to direct air to the radiator from under the front bumper

My other projects

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
10/12/15 6:43 p.m.

Now with 1800% more horsepower than the factory provided!

My Builds

EricM
EricM SuperDork
10/13/15 1:52 p.m.

wow

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
10/13/15 5:13 p.m.

Alright!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
10/17/15 5:04 p.m.

Progress on the crate motor install. Since I was able to find an alternator that fits the confines of the Hijet, I have decided to remove the starter/generator and instead use the starter and flywheel from a late model Taurus for an electric reverse gear. These are cheap and plentiful and should provide a more positive reverse engagement with no belt to wear out. The starter will go here

I removed the 1 speed yoke to fit on a flange to which the flywheel will attach

Making the flange from some 1/4" plate steel

Turning it down on the lathe

I will cut out the center section from this V8 flywheel

Next, I will machine a bushing to align the bores of the V8 Flywheel center and the Taurus flywheel and then weld, drill mounting holes and drill out center of the Taurus flywheel. When finished, the Taurus flywheel will bolt up to the flange which will be welded to output yoke

Progress so far

My Builds!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
10/20/15 6:08 p.m.

Finished the Flexplate and ready to install

Facebook page Youtube page

84FSP
84FSP HalfDork
10/20/15 6:11 p.m.

Any reason we have no burnout footage yet?

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
10/20/15 8:26 p.m.
84FSP wrote: Any reason we have no burnout footage yet?

Sorry, I will get on that as soon as it is running!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
10/21/15 5:33 p.m.

84FSP
84FSP HalfDork
10/21/15 6:44 p.m.

Thrilled waiting to see short wheel based donuts...

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
10/26/15 6:09 p.m.
84FSP wrote: Thrilled waiting to see short wheel based donuts...

Getting closer!

My youtube page Facebook page

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
10/26/15 6:29 p.m.

Read both your updates....Do you even sleep?

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
10/27/15 6:58 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: Read both your updates....Do you even sleep?

No, early onset Old Man Syndrome. Asleep at 10 up at 3

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
10/28/15 5:28 p.m.

Made up a bracket to hold the reversing motor today

It will weld in here

maschinenbau
maschinenbau New Reader
10/29/15 8:06 a.m.

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding this. To reverse, you put the trans in neutral then hit a separate starter button, which directly turns the driveshaft the opposite way?

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bYA6a7jq7SO8EYvHV1qMsCkAGJqe53PooAAP999mQEJDlRZGiKIYFpGyWPvhwCdF