Ben_Modified HalfDork
11/3/18 7:47 p.m.

Work continues on the Hot Rod Hijet plus a hard launch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EB8xz2V7qw

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
11/3/18 8:19 p.m.

In reply to Ben_Modified :

You know Ben, as you get more of these awesome creations on the road, I think your next project should be an awesome hotrod hauler, so you could drag 3 or 4 to a show all together - plus the hauler would be awesome its self!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
11/3/18 10:01 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

You know Ben, as you get more of these awesome creations on the road, I think your next project should be an awesome hotrod hauler, so you could drag 3 or 4 to a show all together - plus the hauler would be awesome its self!

I am chipping away at it!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
11/16/18 7:43 a.m.

A Moroso re-curve kit should arrive today. The mechanical advance on the distributor is maxing out at only 20 btdc  #WheelieQuest.  My friend with the Turbo LS powered Datsun wagon stopped by with his "normal" size service bed truck.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN7CtcEXMVMZhcYrv0yMexhpVLEDHjB5kDegqsp-cPXoO31ug4Ic39zLfP3P_pr9A/photo/AF1QipNH2Y6Fpj2mXt-IWkaU0OgVp4tZMnJooSw6fkUd?key=MEJtQ2xsOGdiS0xLTVVwZy1UV2RPcjhEU2VIRG5B

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
9/7/19 4:12 p.m.

Start to finish.....no paint, of course.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/7/19 7:24 p.m.

Awesome!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
9/8/19 4:07 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Thanks!

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
9/8/19 1:32 p.m.

That's damn awesome- are you going to use it as a tool carrier too, or just some wild thing you made?

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
9/9/19 9:30 a.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

That's damn awesome- are you going to use it as a tool carrier too, or just some wild thing you made?

Thanks!  I do use it as a truck whenever possible!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
3/19/21 11:48 a.m.

Well, I have decided to go back to the small (21") wheels and tires. 

I will regain the sleeper look, be able, once again, to fit in the 52" wide golf cart spots in my apt complex and it will accelerate even better!

I have already lifted the drivetrain in the frame as much as I can to gain acceptable ground clearance.  The radiator is at a local shop for a few mods.  Still needs to fill in the larger than needed wheel wells.  Started with rough paper templates and a few crappy manipulated photos.

And this is what happens when you get your angle grinder too close to your shifter cable

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
3/19/21 7:24 p.m.

Air filter reconfigured.

With heat shield

Shifter reinstalled with new longer shift cable for better routing

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
4/4/21 7:08 p.m.

The modified radiator is done and back in the truck

Started filling in the wheel openings on the bed. I have a few  odds and ends to complete before I can take it for  an extended drive, but I did take it down the street and it is really quick!

And for something completely random... here is a photo of a section of the Golden Rey Car Carrier which overturned last year, freshly cut from the hull, on its way to Louisiana for scrap.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/5/21 9:01 a.m.

Wow, that's a cool pic!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
5/15/21 6:51 p.m.

Working on some steel flares

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
5/20/21 4:24 p.m.

Flare progress.  Still need to shape the lip on each a bit more.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
9/3/21 12:12 p.m.

I changed up the wheel/tire combo.  Slightly taller and quite a lot wider.  Different offset on the fronts to improve turning radius.  Also, removed the front axle, cut off the spring perches, replaced with new ones and welded on with a much improved caster angle. Also new front springs to provide more than 1" of total suspension travel.  I expect the springs to settle a bit as I don't want to be forced to wear a flat bill cap....or.....I contend that it is a gasser and not a southern squat

6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XyHtPViv7OwsxaYmDhX0JUALH0TMrB6T55NKHxtlTDxJAEYl8sQObCidmdCoFWzG