johndej SuperDork
7/29/22 8:35 p.m.

Dang

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
7/29/22 8:55 p.m.
Akbarratt said:

Checking for bodywork clearance again. 

If a giant Roots blower actually clears the hood, something is wrong.

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
7/29/22 8:57 p.m.

Are you running any wheel spacers with the combination of rims and the wilwood front calipers?  I'm running a set of 14x7 Ansen slotted mags, but my fenders are stock. Hope this would work on my car. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/29/22 9:06 p.m.

In the mid-70's in junior high school once we understood this we thought it was a super cool t-shirt.

Akbarratt
Akbarratt New Reader
7/29/22 9:26 p.m.

In reply to jr02518 :

I have 1in spacers. I did though check clearance without the spacers. Fit fine, with room for tape weights.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
7/29/22 10:07 p.m.

Dude  I just now found this.......way stupid righteous with syrup on top !!!!!   this build is one part ,but your grosh rocks as well great thread bro.......

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
7/29/22 10:28 p.m.

Have you looked at the Apex Enginerred "Quick Steering Knuckles"?  I can confirm they do sharpen up the steering.  I do not have their lower ball joints in my car but they solve a number of issues.

Akbarratt
Akbarratt New Reader
7/29/22 10:46 p.m.
jr02518 said:

Have you looked at the Apex Engineering "Quick Steering Knuckles"?  I can confirm they do sharpen up the steering.  I do not have their lower ball joints in my car but they solve a number of issues.

I think that post just cost me about $600 at some point. Thanks. 

T3 just might have some billet aluminum hubs in the pipeline too. 311s finally getting some aftermarket love.

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
7/29/22 10:55 p.m.

Sticking to my 1600 cc motor is limiting me in a good way,  right?  It is great how your car is coming together.   

Rebuilding the front end of my car has been an education.  I am very grateful I did not know about the pending hubs.

Akbarratt
Akbarratt New Reader
9/9/22 1:15 a.m.

Got a little more done labor day weekend, thankfully the garage temps are coming down. 

Talked myself out of hanging the mufflers under the rockers, and cut up my fender exit headers. Welded 2.5 v-bands on and spent a day getting the pipes to inside the frame. 

Akbarratt
Akbarratt New Reader
9/9/22 1:16 a.m.

Akbarratt
Akbarratt New Reader
9/9/22 1:19 a.m.

Also started building fuel lines. This is 3/8 hydraulic tubing I had kicking around the garage. 

Akbarratt
Akbarratt New Reader
9/9/22 1:23 a.m.

And, finally, I got my throttle pedal, linkage and cable sorted out. Had to run the cable straight up and thru the cowl. 

Akbarratt
Akbarratt New Reader
9/9/22 1:26 a.m.

Messy,  but figured.  Next I gotta get my steering column back in and get the steering shaft sorted. 

Akbarratt
Akbarratt New Reader
9/28/22 10:27 p.m.

So I finally decided to cut the rest of the box section forming the lower, inner fender, and replace it with some tubing. This is to firm up the cutout area, and to make room for, and a mounting point for steering linkage. 

Made a steering support bracket from a piece cut out of rec tube and miller glued it on. 

Now we have more room for activities, and the front wheels turn with the steering wheel. 

Akbarratt
Akbarratt New Reader
10/17/22 9:22 a.m.

Fonished brake prop valve mount and front half of brake lines

Akbarratt
Akbarratt New Reader
10/17/22 9:28 a.m.

Pulled the body, modified the trans crossmember for exhaust passage, welded up mufflers,  added a second torque arm mount and brackets to the rear axle.

Akbarratt
Akbarratt New Reader
10/17/22 9:31 a.m.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/17/22 10:54 a.m.

This thing looks like some cool Hot Wheels car - awesome work on your end.  

Bummer
Bummer
11/26/22 7:13 p.m.

In reply to Akbarratt :

Howdy- I'm new to site so please put up with me. I noticed the Idaho plate -I'm in Montana and would like to know where you're at? I'd like to learn more about you project.  Thanks 

Akbarratt
Akbarratt New Reader
12/4/22 7:25 p.m.
Bummer said:

In reply to Akbarratt :

Howdy- I'm new to site so please put up with me. I noticed the Idaho plate -I'm in Montana and would like to know where you're at? I'd like to learn more about you project.  Thanks 

I'm near Coeur d'Alene ID

Akbarratt
Akbarratt New Reader
12/4/22 8:52 p.m.

Did a little bit to an old centr console. Made a filler plate and mounted keypad and an on/off key switch.

Bummer
Bummer New Reader
12/5/22 2:22 a.m.

Thanks for replying and more pics. I live in Bozeman and get out your direction on occasion. Are phone numbers allowed here so we could contact each other? I have two roadsters - one I'm putting a SR20DE 5 speed in and the other one I'd like to put my 3800 automatic in. Making battery tray behind passenger seat with 4 locking compartments. ​​​​​​​

Akbarratt
Akbarratt New Reader
12/18/22 3:49 p.m.

The SR is such a good swap for these cars. Too bad they are getting stupid expensive. I'd like a driver with a RB20 swap just for fun, but same issue. I'm too cheap. The 3800 is a pretty good fit if you don't mind cutting a little sheetmetal, though with a auto, figure on rebuilding the tunnel. I've had to beat my tunnel a bit to fit the T5.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x5qYC7ThZcHAieyBHQJkD0sG5XVztaevsuOA0VSvi8BaBvC7ryWZNWIMSbRtAmEr