8 9 10 11 12
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
9/23/18 7:43 p.m.

Need to see pix of both sides of everything.  Also need to know why old pilot bearing was able to fall out of crank.

when clutch won't disengage, start from the pedal and work down to the trans, and ask if each component is doing what it's supposed to.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/24/18 7:02 p.m.

Spent a good while on the phone with modern driveline today. 

Apparently this failure mode is common in the roll your own tko500 swap world. Due primarily to tolerance stacking and misalignment.  They gave me a checklist and things to measure and inspect. 

I have a feeling that custom machine work is fixing to be necessary. Especially since the pilot bearing came out, which i believe is due to tolerance stacking. 

We will not fail!

(Again. Or often. Hopefully)

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/5/18 7:58 a.m.

All my parts are in and all my machine work is done. Assuming that I find no real issue with dialing in the bellhousing tomorrow it should be back together and running by the end of the weekend

dherr
dherr HalfDork
10/5/18 8:13 a.m.

Great to hear, can't wait to see the results! Frustrating when you hit a snag like this, but sounds like you should have it nailed now. Good luck!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/5/18 9:04 a.m.

I'm really hoping it goes smoothly. I need to drive My Hotrod more than work on it

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
10/5/18 11:50 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Yay! I need a new burn out vid

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/5/18 1:48 p.m.

No!!!!

Last burnout video has cost me $625 so far....

If not more. 

$422 clutch

$208 to modern driveline for throwout bearing retainer, shims, pilot bearing

$56 for flywheel surfacing and bolts 

$20 machin work on input bearing retainer 

Ok, this hurts.....

Will you take in car acceleration video instead?

dherr
dherr HalfDork
10/5/18 3:26 p.m.

Yes, I was not going to ask for a burn out video, too painful to watch the last one!

Norma66
Norma66 Reader
10/5/18 9:07 p.m.

Glad your moving forward again! I know the feeling of getting so close and then boom. Just keep checking boxes and you will get there!

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
10/5/18 9:58 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Sorry, I thought break downs were just part of finding weak spots and upgrading them? Yeah easy for me to say, I'm not the one paying for all the parts among other expensive items.  I did an epic burn out showing off for work friends many years ago and had to drive home on i85 at 40 mph with the worst grinding, bouncing, "catching" noises and yes, even smoke coming from that 260k mile z71 rear end.  Now every time I think about dumping the clutch at high RPM I remember bouncing down the highway to the sound of blaring horns and gears with their missing teeth getting recycled through over and over. 

In other words, I dont blame you one bit.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/6/18 11:11 a.m.

Well, we found the root cause of the failure. Bellhousing is WAY out. .021 dowel pins on order.....

APEowner
APEowner Dork
10/6/18 11:31 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Well, we found the root cause of the failure. Bellhousing is WAY out. .021 dowel pins on order.....

That was my guess based on the damage.  What did modern driveline recommend for alignment tolerances with that transmission?

USERNAMETAKEN
USERNAMETAKEN Reader
10/6/18 11:52 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Whoa!!  That'll do it!

I'm glad you found your issue, and that you're moving forward.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/6/18 11:55 a.m.

.005 is all the specs ive found on tremecs.

Wors spot is .057 out.....

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/12/18 5:05 p.m.

Dowel pins can blow me. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
10/12/18 6:30 p.m.

I hope you're at pops on the lift fighting this chit.......

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/12/18 6:49 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Yup. With pops helping!

We just quit. With adjustable offset dowl pins, there is apparently an infinite number of ways to make things WORSE.

Tomorrow is another day.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/23/18 6:12 p.m.

After far more parts and money thani anticipated, the bellhousing runout is finally within spec.

Tomorrow afternoon i start reassembly. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/25/18 7:02 p.m.

The beauty of owning and wrenching on the same car for 23 years is that you learn all sorts of tricks. 

The problem is REMEMBERING them.

Tonight's trick was to use a ratchet strap from the clutch fork to the rear sway bar to loosen the clutch a little to get the trans the whole way in. 

I couldn't remember that trick last night for the life of me. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/7/18 4:58 p.m.

The picture may not look much different than many in thelast few pages.

However, theres a very large number of changes.

1100 in drivetrain parts, including a new bellhousing. 

And a 28 mile drive from dads shop to mine! Which is more miles completed today than the last 3 years combined. It ran well-ish, but the interference on the tach signal is back. Erratic, but back. So were not out of the woods yet. Im going to chase all the grounds again, but there's gotta be something else im missing. Especially since there was NO interference before the trans work. My inly real fear is that the touch of welding i did on the bellhousing dowel pins cooked something, even with the battery disconnected by the kill switch. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
11/7/18 8:06 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

The picture may not look much different than many in thelast few pages.

However, theres a very large number of changes.

1100 in drivetrain parts, including a new bellhousing. 

And a 28 mile drive from dads shop to mine! Which is more miles completed today than the last 3 years combined. It ran well-ish, but the interference on the tach signal is back. Erratic, but back. So were not out of the woods yet. Im going to chase all the grounds again, but there's gotta be something else im missing. Especially since there was NO interference before the trans work. My inly real fear is that the touch of welding i did on the bellhousing dowel pins cooked something, even with the battery disconnected by the kill switch. 

I doubt it was from welding.  Did you need to use a pull up circuit for the tach?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/7/18 8:11 p.m.

I had just tapped it to the msd tach out that feeds the megasquirt. It wasnt reading correctly, and since i pulled it apart in a church parking lot at mile 11 as an attempted fix, now reada 0 again. I was really hoping it qas that simple. 

There a thread in the main forum on ut at the moment. I feel so close to being successful with the megasquirt.....

Norma66
Norma66 Reader
12/2/18 8:05 p.m.

Just read this start to finish. Hopefully the car will be all lined out by the spring! Jealous of your wiring you have done. I need to get a book on auto wiring. Your engine bay looks so nice.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/2/18 8:13 p.m.

In reply to Norma66 :

Hopefully the link in the beginning still worked for you....

And its close!!!

Trying to find a balance between all tge projects is difficult. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/5/19 7:19 a.m.

Local car club has a group tour/cruise/mini rally this weekend. 

And my office needs cleaned.

So i started it for the first time in 2 months. Battery was dead as i forgot to put it on the tender. Fired right up!

Need to set the timing tonight and redo battery terminals. And pinion angle.

8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eLdsj833HLEZockDlogZ3SXujXDEbASyDd1BRUY7td8T0SQwYIudV9ozFrITxNii