AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/10/21 9:58 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I think most of us have been there with a car and part.  My Crammit has weeping main seals.  I'm probably going to save and plan for a full rebuild and ignore it for a while.

slantsix
slantsix Reader
11/10/21 7:40 p.m.

Hope you get the pan sorted enough so you can enjoy it!

I was lucky in my last 3 pan installs.. 2 slant 6's and one LA. All 3 went in and have been there with no noticeable leaks ... fingers still crossed.

Greg

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/12/21 7:13 a.m.

Well, the pan and timing chain cover are back in and torqued down. Hopefully leak free. Got the engine sat back in place and suspension reassembled as well.

Next up us reassembley of the accessories and reinstall the headers when the gaskets come in. Slow progress due to family, work, and this weekends two day season closer event. 

Dusterbd13-michael
11/19/21 4:54 p.m.

Going to end tonight or early and on a high note. I got it to fire up and run with no oil leaks and good oil pressure. I am going to take it and run. Next up is a nut and bolt check and reinstall the cooling system to test head gaskets and everything else is integrity.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
11/19/21 5:16 p.m.

Nice!

Dusterbd13-michael
11/23/21 5:03 p.m.

it built cooling system pressure in a normal fashon, amd didn't run hot idling for 20 minutes. Ill check the oil after it cools. Look for milkshake. But oil pressure was normal, no new noises. May have gotten stupid lucky. 

Heres to hoping.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
11/23/21 5:22 p.m.

That's damn good news.  Looks fantastic.

Dusterbd13-michael
11/24/21 6:21 a.m.

In reply to JoeTR6 :

Thanks! Hopefully find time this week to finish flushing the cooling system, retighten everything, and test drive. 

Im cautiously optimistic. 

Then i can fix the door that won't open with the outside handle, adjust the valves, cange the spark plugs, and replace the passenger's seat. Stuff i set out to do months ago.....

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
11/26/21 6:51 p.m.

Yay!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/26/21 8:55 p.m.

MoPar, bitches!

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
11/26/21 9:08 p.m.

The day you can look under your old car and not see drips is a damn good day

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
11/26/21 10:07 p.m.

Good news for sure Michael!

Dusterbd13-michael
11/27/21 5:21 a.m.

Not much (hardly any) time yesterday or today. But i finished the cooling system flush, no oil milkshake, normal pressure. I ran it out of gas in the driveway and couldn't find the filler for the big fuel johs, so no test drive. 

I think we're ok!!!

Dusterbd13-michael
11/27/21 9:01 a.m.

14 gallons in a 14 gallon tank. The empty mark on my speedhut gauges isn't berkeleying around!

But, 10 miles, 6k powershifts, no milkshake and good oil pressure. Its not hurt!

I swar i hear a high pitched metallic ringing when i let off from higher rpm though. Im not sure if im hearing things, or if its there. Dad and i will investigate. 

To celebrate, i replaced the passenger's side seat with one without a huge hole in it.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/27/21 9:18 a.m.

Between this and the V12 308, today is shaping up to be a great day!

Dusterbd13-michael
11/28/21 10:30 a.m.

This morning after church, i fixed the door handle (plastic linkage clip disintegrated), swapped plugs (old were semi fouled, and one wire wasn't actually connected), pit one full round of stiffness in the shock adjusters, and drove it. A lot. Enough to finally get the speedometer adjusted properly! Put 50mi on it trouble free, multiple restarts and idle sessions  

Felt really, really nice. Nasty bumpsteer/wallowing feeling gone, idles smoother, pulls fifth cleanly at 55, etc. Just a nice, good feeling car to drive. Quite pleased, and very confident that i didn't hurt it wigh the overheating. 

My head and soul are happy places today, and for that i am grateful. 

Other than a good detail, im calling this one done for now. 

Picture of a plug that i sent to Patrick. 

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
11/28/21 11:13 a.m.

Great success!

Dusterbd13-michael
12/7/21 7:52 a.m.

140 miles: still good! Nut and bolt check revealed nothing, no loss of fluids detected. 

8.9 mpg though.....

I leaned the idle mixture by .25 turns on each primary mixture screw. Cleaned up the idle and no longer smells rich. We'll see how it likes that. 

Or some reason, tweaking a carb is far easier than efi for me. All the basic adjustments make sense, and i generally knw where im goieand what im doing with it.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/7/21 10:27 a.m.

Is your power valve well suited to your idle vacuum? That can make a difference in economy.

Try running full manifold vacuum instead of ported vacuum as well.

I get 10-12mpg in my 11:1 350 with a 231@050/108LSA camshaft, high stall non-lockup converter, 3-speed auto, and 3.73 gears pushing a C10 brick through the air.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/7/21 10:33 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

Unfortunately the MSD distributor that I am using it does not have vacuum advance. I'm not happy about that. But I'm less happy removing and scrapping a $400 distributor. I need to find some articles on power valves. Haven't looked into those in many a year so I honestly don't know. The guts of the carburetor are completely as delivered. It's an out-of-the-box Holley brawler double Pumper

Dusterbd13-michael
4/22/22 7:48 a.m.

i have too many projects and cars. I really do.

This one still hasn't been detailed. But i washed it for the first time this year this morning. Oakboro cruise night is tonight, and dad and i are meeting there. 

Car has been running great. Its up to 11mpg, which still sucks. And its not getting wide open throttle. I think the Holley linkage adapter for mopar will cure that, and i believe that getting one of my widebands and a gauge on it should help drivability and economy. It may ultimately beed a vacuum advance distributor though. At least if i want economy. 

No idea where ill mount a wideband gauge in the interior. Maybe on the column like a tach if i can find a cup?

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
4/22/22 1:44 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

It may ultimately need a vacuum advance distributor though. At least if i want economy. 

It does.

Buy a distributor with vacuum advance.  You are just fighting a losing battle without it.

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
4/22/22 9:32 p.m.

Good deal..Maybe the duster will make an appearance at lunch Sunday?! 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/22/22 9:44 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Wideband and a vacuum distributor is next one list.  

Dusterbd13-michael
4/23/22 6:36 a.m.
slantsix said:

Good deal..Maybe the duster will make an appearance at lunch Sunday?! 

That's the plan!

Amd vacuum distributor is possible. After so many years of fighting megasquirt, not that the car runs and runs well i dont want to screw it up again by trying to make it better 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WKXnI17XgMjlsKjprS5XBSSibQT0svYpmMHpxG3Iy0n73UzbAkmtWU5rGGXmOcQp