1 2 3
RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
4/12/21 9:12 a.m.

Time for an update...  Over the last two weekends I've tried to re-fit the motor but it didn't fit.  It turns out the plate that I had welded into the crossmember was out by 1/8" which caused the motor to not drop into place.  So Saturday of this past weekend was spent doing the hokey pokey with the motor.  I took it out, did some griding and persuading, put the motor back in, took it back out, welded, then put it back in:

I also offered up the rad panel, rad, and cold air ducting:

The rad needs a spacer made up to allow it to be bolted to the rad panel and space it forward a bit.  The rad is one of the cheap ones from Ebay, and I know why they're so cheap, they don't fit right out of the box.  Oh well, not a big deal, with spacing it forward I can sneak a cooling fan on the backside.

Other than that, I removed the rear window and filled the holes on the hatch:

And spent the bulk of Sunday afternoon sanding and filling.  I've spoken to the paint shop, and the car will be dropped off with them at the end of the month.  So that means the next two weekends will see a lot more body prep.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/12/21 10:05 a.m.

Looks so awesome with those carbs!

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
5/3/21 9:25 a.m.

Time for an update, two weekends ago I spent some time fitting the tailgate badges.  I had welded up the existing holes in preparation of drilling new ones for the earlier badges. A set of letters was ordered, and measurements were provided by a friend with two early cars ( Ralph's B GTs ).  But, figuring out where to drill them and getting everything lined up was a nightmare.  I lost count at how many times I had to weld up the new holes just to get things in roughly the correct spot.  Luckily TIG welding gives a relatively soft weld, so drilling the new holes was easier:  

The holes are slightly larger than the pegs on the back of the badges, so there is a bit of wiggle room to get them lined up once the tailgate is back on the car.

I also managed to hit the car with high build in the spots that I had patched up (dog legs, side marker locations etc):

That allowed this to happen:

The car was loaded and delivered to the paint shop.  A rough idea of price was provided, which was agreeable, then the estimated time was discussed.  As it stands currently, I should hopefully have it back in a month.  Fingers crossed I'll have it back by early June.

So, with the car now out of the garage, work on the other items commenced on Sunday.  I had hoped to have at least one front seat re-upholstered, but after stripping the seat down, and attempting to install the rubber diaphragm, work was halted.  The new rubber diaphragm doesn't quite fit properly, in fact it was so tight it was actually bending the clips that hold it in place.  I'll be ordering a new pair from an alternate supplier to see if I can make something work.  Unfortunately, no pictures of that work.

I then focused my attention on the rear seats.  They turned out ok, not perfect, but ok for what I'm after:

I'm going to spend a bit more time on the ends of the seat base to try to get the pucker out of them.  As for the wrinkles in the middle of both pieces, the covers were shipped folded in half, and I just can't get them to flatten out.  I did leave them out in the sun to soften up, but still no joy.  In any case, they'll have to do and hopefully they'll shrink a bit over time.

Rod

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
5/18/21 9:16 a.m.

Another update, the car has sat at the paint shop for two weeks now and unfortunately no work has been done to it.  The painter has been off for 15 days following his jab, which has delayed everything at the paint shop.  They've promised me that the door jambs, under hood, and inside of the tail gate will be painted by next weekend, along with blocking the body to get it ready for paint.  Fingers crossed I'll see some progress when I stop by this Saturday.

In other news, I've been slowly re-covering the front seats.  I put most of the drivers side together a week ago, but wasn't happy with the seat back.  I bought new foams for the bases and backs, but the back doesn't really look that good.  On the passenger side I re-used the existing foam, which was in incredible shape for being 56 years old, and things look much better:

Here's a pic of both seats, and you can see the drivers seat back cover just doesn't fit like it should:

So, this weekend it will get pulled apart again and the old foam reinstalled.  I'm also trying my hand at shrinking leather with a steamer.  It seems to work, but I still need to figure out how to get a bit more shrinkage.

On to the next project for this project, a steering wheel.  I was convinced by SWMBO that a wood wheel would look really nice with the colour combo I'm going with, but Moto Lita and Tourist Trophy (Moss Motors jobber wood wheels) just didn't look like what I had wanted in a 14".  So a CAD file was created and sent off for water jet cutting and this is what I've ended up with:

I'll be making a trip to the local "interesting" wood supplier tonight to price out some baltic birch plywood, hopefully the prices haven't skyrocketed like the price of softwood.  

I had made a wheel in the past (for the blue car), but opted to make the rim a little fatter, this time around the rim will be closer to what a Moto Lita has:

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
7/5/21 9:04 a.m.

This past Saturday things started happening again as the car is now back from paint (and was only 1 month late):

Saturday afternoon was spent looking over the car and installing a the tail lamps, and one back-up lamp, the second back-up lamp will go on once I chase the threads on the body:

Sunday saw the front signal lamps go on:

As well as installing the headliner, and sound insulation in the footwells and under the seats. Unfortunately, no photo's were taken of that work.  I did drop the seats in just to see how they look with the paint, and I'm more than pleased at the outcome:

Next weekend I'll hopefully paint the trunk area and start on fitting all the door hardware.  Fingers crossed I'll have it back on the road by the end of the summer.

Rod

bgkast
bgkast PowerDork
7/5/21 12:32 p.m.

I like the color combination

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
7/5/21 3:54 p.m.

Really like how this is coming out.

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
7/26/21 12:14 p.m.

I have been slowly making progress, the interior was painted and insulation was installed:

A dashtop rail was ordered, so it and the GRP dashtop piece I had made earlier was covered and both were installed:

One of the studs pushed itself away from the cardboard backing, but that will get fixed the next time I'm in the garage (there's a slight gap just above the glovebox)

The metal dash was installed along with test fitting the speaker console:

And, the heater was shoved (literally) in place, and an oil line was fabricated using an NPT to BSPP fitting at the block, a stock MGB oil pressure hose and firewall fitting, plus some 1/8" copper tubing:

Hopefully next weekend will see the carpets, seats and some interior panels put in place. I'm still undecided on the exhaust, so "making smoke" wont happen for a few more weeks.

Rod

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
7/26/21 12:51 p.m.

Dig the color combo. Great progress!

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
8/3/21 9:20 a.m.

More work was done this past weekend, it was a long weekend with an extra day added on so I managed 3 full days in the garage.  Friday was spent installing the carpets, I bought the seat covers, panels and carpets from Moss, and elected for the flat carpet set.  I thought they would be quite a challenge to install, but surprisingly the only real wrinkles in the carpets are in the arch covers and they're quite small.  If you were to inspect them closely you'd see them.

Next was placing the seats in the car to see if a) I still fit and b) if the seats match the carpets.  The conclusion was yes I still fit but a 14" steering wheel is the largest I can use, and yes they match the carpets fairly well:

Saturday saw the door windows go in, then out, then in, and the RH out again yesterday:

The reason for putting them in, then out and back in again was because I've switched to early type interior handles/remotes.  It turns out that that type of remote has to get installed before the glass and regulators can go back in.  I also had to drill an extra hole and do some trimming, but they now open the doors and the glass goes up and down like it's supposed to.

I then started on the wiring.  Because I've converted the car to a metal dash, the switches are all moved to under the radio in the middle of the dash, so a sub harness was created to keep the original wiring harness stock, but allow the switches to be moved.  I didn't take a picture of the harness but here's one of the wiring bundle I had to start with:

Monday saw the trim around the windows installed:

I also started on wiring up the speeduino.  I decided to punch a hole in the passenger side pedal box blanking plate as the location for where the speedy harness with enter the engine bay.  I forgot to take pictures of it (I will snap a few next weekend), but it should be an easy install with next to no superfluous wiring in the engine bay.  As I'm only running the ignition side, there's just the crank and cam sensor wiring (both are shielded cables), TPS wiring, and inputs to the coil, the stock wire to the coil will be retained, and other two or three wires are just grounds.  Under the dash it's just a 12v+ to the speedy, and an output to the tach, along with four grounds that will go to the body where I mount the speedy.  I'm very happy with how minimalistic the whole thing is.  Fingers crossed it will work on the first push of the starter button.

And to close out the weekend, I resinstalled the grille badge (and LH headlamp):

Next weekend should hopefully see the wiring completely buttoned up (hooking up the tail lamps/headlamps/signals etc), and possibly reinstall the bumpers.

Rod

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/3/21 9:25 a.m.

Looking GREAT!

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
9/13/21 9:29 a.m.

A bit more progress has been made. I spent this past Sunday welding up the header, the welds aren't the prettiest but to quote AVE "A grinder and paint makes me the welder I aint". I still have to finish the collector and look at where I can put a V-band in order to easily install and remove the header.

The previous weekend I gave my GF the task of installing the interior panels and re-covering the door tops and the bit that go under the rear quarter windows:

Keen eyed viewers will notice the door seal has been peeled back at the door top, for some reason the doors don't want to close with the door tops on. I'm not too worried about it at the moment, as there's still a ton of work to get done, but it will be looked at sometime in the near future.

I've also nearly finished the wiring and have received a new speedo from Vitesse (supplier of Miata gearbox conversions for MG's):

I need to figure out where to put the speedo sensor, the RX8 gearbox that I'm using doesn't have any provision for a speedo drive/sensor/etc. The plan at the moment is to mount it to one of the front uprights to generate impulses from the brake disc mounting bolts, hopefully that will get looked at next weekend. I had thought about the driveshaft bolts, but as they're not "square" that was ruled out.

And one final picture, just to PO the MGA crowd:

I figure the car now has a "twin cam" engine, so why not give some hint about it without lifting the bonnet.

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
0IwAGMrrHhAWVgNhOPCpEpve0syNZ8hZeg88VJihjrXXOi0v05hBPGlOzXxSOhpW