18 19 20
JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
8/10/19 10:07 a.m.

The TR6 made it to Colorado after two long days of driving and an overnight stop in eastern Kansas.

Things weren't looking good after crossing into Colorado.

A severe thunderstorm producing hail and an EF-0 tornado was near our house.  We just made it to a dinner stop one hour from home and waited it out.  The carpets got a little wet, but no harm done.  A flaky fuel gauge "fixed" itself near the end of the trip.  Time for a new sender to replace the 44 year old original.  Not bad service for a British electrical part.

The car ran great for 2000 miles.  I leaned out the mixture 1/2 turn in Roanoke and adjusted the temperature compensators to make driving in traffic easier.  Nothing else but 1/2 quart of oil and fuel stops needed.  Cruising at 75 MPH through Kansas was great.

Now I need to decide whether to sell this car or my aging MSM.  The TR6 is a little sluggish with carbs at altitude, and the project TR6 is nearing drivable condition.  Plus, I'll get more money for the TR6 that will fund finishing the project car.  And when the MSM succumbs to rust, there's the Exocet option.  So I'm leaning towards selling the TR6.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
8/15/19 9:17 p.m.

I've been working on finishing the fuel lines.  All of the lines are bent, connected, and clamped down.  The final fitting of the throttle bodies and fuel rail are all that's left before I can test for fuel leaks.

Since I'm done crawling underneath the car (for now), I put the autocross wheels on and dropped it off the jack stands.  The car wanted to see some sunlight, so I rolled it out to settle the suspension and see how things looked.

It sits a little high, but these are lower profile tires.  They're the same tire that I use on the MSM.  There shouldn't be any issues with rubbing unless the suspension settles quite a lot more.  Eyeballing the alignment, it looks pretty close.  I somehow got the camber angle just about right on all corners.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
8/16/19 7:18 a.m.

Trying to remember what you are doing for shocks on this.

I got the bugeye running and drove it around the block and almost got seasick on the old suspension.  I know a source for fully adjustable lever shocks that are used in roadracing.  (they do them for spridgets, but also for TR6) Most of the roadrace guys say they work pretty well for about 20-30min of track time (then the fluid gets hot and they dont damp as well till they cool off). Should work pretty well for autocross I'd think. 

Sorry I misssed you when you were in town, dad-life keeps me close to home. 

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
8/16/19 9:16 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

I'm using a similar setup as Ed's car but with adjustable Konis in the front instead of Spax.  The rear lever shocks had the valving adjusted as recommended by JK Jackson.  I can see how replacing that valve with something adjustable would be nice.  I can also change the oil weight, but that is neither quick nor easy.  It's very doubtful I'll take this car to a track, but it does need to withstand curvy Colorado roads and autocross.

I was only in town for one evening.  Maybe we should have planned a cookout at Ed's shop.  We also couldn't coordinate arriving on the same day as an autocross.  Too many variables.  I understand the family-life thing.  Time and money are like water running through your hands.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
9/19/19 12:44 p.m.

I've been doing wiring in small doses.  The fuel tank is wired, and I've split the Megasquirt harness up into bundles and routed it to near where it needs to go.  It's not nearly as much fun laying under a dash as it used to be.

There are a few small decisions left to make.  Since I'm using a 0-5v oil pressure sensor wired into the MS, I could just run an MS output wire to where the stock oil pressure switch once lived and tie into the stock harness to turn on the low oil pressure light.  Also, the stock coil power wire can reach the new coil pack, but needs an inline fuse.  Most of the MS wires will run up the right side inner fender to the front of the engine.  This should make things tidy and keep sensor wires away from electrical noise under hood.

The fuse/relay panel will live under the dash next to the Megasquirt.  I have all of the components but still need to assemble it.

18 19 20
Our Preferred Partners
6blA0XCNnMLyQm518U1fOwFpgFdW3HH30cgKeYx4B5LzqBbX2NE5iXkHIDhY6sWU