AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
10/11/19 8:34 a.m.

In reply to java230 :

NICE!!!

java230
java230 UberDork
10/11/19 10:14 a.m.

So it runs! And sounds pretty damn good too IMO.

But the key still wont start it.

Annnnd My fuel filler is no good. It just doesn't take fuel.

Its pretty flat, filling with just a gas can was too fast. It filled the filler tube and took awhile to run down into the tank. I am using the OE Ford roll over valve, its a 3/8" line for vent. Too small? Its just to atmosphere, but I figured it was factory it ought to work....

Also since the tank is technically "sideways" vs how it would have been installed, it took 5 ish gallons for the fuel pump to be able to even get fuel, I thought it would have been in the low spot in the bottom of the tank, but who knows. I did bent the bottom jacking it up also. Maybe it was just first fill anf the sock needs some soaking to drop?

Ill take any input on tanks.... I am about to either go back to stock, cut the valence for a filler at the tailgate, or cut the floor out and drop a fuel cell in.....

Filler going into the tank (after fixing many leaks...

Most ghetto map sensor install? :D I just wanted to make it make noises.....

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
10/11/19 10:38 a.m.

Increasing the vent size seems like a relatively easy and cheap thing to test first. Might as well try that and see if it fixes the problem before going after progressively bigger and more difficult fixes. 

Congrats on getting it started. It sounds great! 

java230
java230 UberDork
10/11/19 10:53 a.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

I wish it was easy..... Its the factory Ford roll over valve. Its just in a grommet in the top of the tank, IE I have to use that one! 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
10/11/19 12:06 p.m.

A lot of fillers run a smaller hose inside of or next to the fuel filler. The smaller line opens into the filler neck just below the cap.

This lets the air come out as the fuel goes in and helps with filling.

I learned about this the hard way when I put a Bronco tank in my old Jeep Gladiator. I had the same problem you're having. Once I added a breather line to the fill tube, it fixed the problem.

java230
java230 UberDork
10/11/19 12:33 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Someone on another forum mentioned sleeving it like that as well. I could stop a piece of fuel line all the way down from the top. Any Juniors ideas on how to hold it just inside the filler?

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
10/11/19 1:03 p.m.

You might be able to pull the filler out and tack a stub of 3/8" tube inside the neck and then connect the rubber hose to that.

Or, bend up a length of 3/8" hard line to end just inside the tank and weld it to the inside of the filler, just below the cap (take it off of the tank first of course).

This is also what trips the auto shutoff on the filler. Once the fuel hits the level of the breather, it backs up in the filler and shuts off the fuel nozzle.

java230
java230 UberDork
10/11/19 1:11 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Great idea on tacking inisde the filler.... Its not even installed yet :) just dumping fuel in the hose!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/11/19 2:04 p.m.

Replace the rollover valve with a barb fitting that fits the grommet size

And connect the vent to a filler neck like the one shown

Since it is a sealed cap, you still have something to prevent fuel coming out in the event of a rollover.

Pete

java230
java230 UberDork
10/11/19 2:28 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Thats an Idea. I will have to see if I can get a barb small enough but large enough diameter to fit.... There isnt any room above the tank really.

My filler does have a ~5/8" port on the side.

Strange office today, but a couple hours on the ferry and I have a new fender. The looks you get are quite something walking on with a fender!

brad131a4
brad131a4 Reader
10/11/19 8:39 p.m.

Back in the late 90’s l redid the inside tubs and quarters on a 76 scout ll that had around 44k on it. It also needed front fenders. I remember that we got all the metal from someone on the peninsula. All l can remember is it had binders in the name. Possible you got it from the same people?

java230
java230 UberDork
10/11/19 10:15 p.m.

In reply to brad131a4 :

Yup, I'd bet it's the same guy. Backcountry Binders! 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
10/12/19 12:42 a.m.

You’ll need some sort of vent in the system.  A lot of old vehicles have vented gas caps.  If yours isn’t, you’ll need to run the vent. 

Im looking for a charcoal canister to run in my vent system that I’m putting together. 

java230
java230 UberDork
10/12/19 10:49 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

Isn't the roll over valve a vent? 

And I was thinking of a vented cap also. 

java230
java230 UberDork
10/13/19 11:28 a.m.

New trans gasket! This the "the one" according to the mopar guys. Reusable..... It's hard plastic with rubber gaskets built in.

RTV or trust it?? 

Got new belts that mostly fit.... 

Started the truck, shut down and the fan comes flying off..... Like everything else the PO touched it was finger tight.... 

brad131a4
brad131a4 Reader
10/14/19 12:43 a.m.

Yes that's the guy. Good prices back then. They made all there parts a little fat for fitting. Wish l had some pictures of it.

java230
java230 UberDork
10/28/19 9:36 p.m.

Sooo I may have been rushing.... Went to top off the trans to see if it was still leaking. Grabbed what I thought was a bit of a quart of teams fluid. I forgot I used that bottle to bleed the fuel system.....

Soooo how bad is a few oz of gas in trans fluid???? I dropped the pan, can I just let it flash off a few days? Just a hint of gas stink. 

Fliter looks new at least. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
10/28/19 11:03 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

If you didn't run it you will be fine for sure.

java230
java230 UberDork
10/28/19 11:07 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Didn't run it, immediately pulled the pan..... But did I ruin the fluid?

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
10/28/19 11:18 p.m.

Change the selector shaft seal while you have the pan off.

If the check valve in the transmission is the least bit tired, the convertor will drain back to the pan while the truck is parked and fill up the transmission past the shaft seal.

The the seal is dried out, it will heave fluid all over when it's parked. 

Got tons of crap from my apartment complex when this started happening with my Scout.

java230
java230 UberDork
10/29/19 12:02 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Too late, the pan is back on.... Reusable gasket tho.

It did not seem to be leaking from the selector shaft seal. Yet....

Is all my new fluid toast with a little bit of gas in it?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/29/19 7:03 a.m.

I would not risk it.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
10/29/19 7:07 a.m.

Discard all of the fluid you drained out. I assumed that in my previous post.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2y1Pxy0ip34PEB97UB3b1u01WlfyH7kkSbivz6WIV644r00wJVrEeNNqoanCAqaO