java230
java230 UberDork
5/11/20 8:56 p.m.

In reply to Crackers :

Thank you!

But I still need an epoxy under the high built from my understanding no? 

Crackers
Crackers Dork
5/11/20 9:04 p.m.

Not if it's a DTM primer. 

Crackers
Crackers Dork
5/11/20 9:27 p.m.

Although, if you're not planning to top coat it right away, epoxy might be your best bet, surface texture issues or not. 

It's basically the same work to do it now, or later. If later you can use a high fill with a different tint than your epoxy and in theory, never reach metal again. 

java230
java230 UberDork
5/11/20 10:02 p.m.

In reply to Crackers :

Yes I want to drive for the summer. Planning to shoot epoxy and leave it alone for a few months 

java230
java230 UberDork
5/12/20 9:53 a.m.

Well primer and paint, really didn't do much to hide the filler... Hopefully epoxy does a much better job.

java230
java230 UberDork
7/4/20 1:34 p.m.

Literally haven't touched this since the previous post.... 5/12

Haven't been home on a weekend since April.... 

But I gotta get back at it. I want to drive this before winter. 

Had a half day at home today. Cleaned the garage. It's almost workable again. 

Week after next I have time to get back at it. Half hour a day after work is the goal. 

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
7/4/20 1:54 p.m.

So glad to see a post again. Its tough, but I think we're all pulling for ya.

I'm too far away to help, and can't give any advice on body work, but lame pep talks, I got that!smiley

java230
java230 UberDork
7/4/20 3:29 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Thanks! Glad people are following still. 

Off to backpack for 6 days then I'm hitting it. Half hour a day. Get it painted and drive before the end of summer. 

Do it well and take your time. Its worth it.

java230
java230 UberDork
7/4/20 3:35 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

I'm gonna rush it just for you cheeky

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/4/20 5:53 p.m.

Thing is, you reach(ed) a tipping point where not doing the rest of the hard work undermines all the good work you have done so far.

Even if you just want to drive it around in epoxy, I would shoot some high build polyester and get it sanded to 400. Then shoot the epoxy and take the break.

java230
java230 UberDork
7/4/20 8:16 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Not what I want to hear..... I want to shoot epoxy and take a break.... I'd like to shoot epoxy, drive a month, then get back 5o body work. 

But maybe it's better to do high build? 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
7/4/20 8:54 p.m.

NoHome has been shooting pretty straight so far.  Just sayin'

And I'm also excited to see this back on the active topics list.  Looking good!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/4/20 9:13 p.m.

Thing is you  want to sand what is on the car until it is smooth so the epoxy does not look like your test samples. If you sand more of the filler off, you will undo a lot of your work because you will start to make waves in your level filler. Does that make sense?

If you shoot a coat or two of high fill, then you can sand that down  to a smooth surface and shoot the epoxy. At that point you will have a pretty good idea of what your car would look like painted,

There is another option, and while I have used it on the Molvo, I have not weather tested it. I used a Valspar product that they call a "Hybrid Epoxy" 

https://www.valsparrefinish.com/primers_other_DTM2004.jsp

It is either a high build or a sealer depending on how you mix it, Read the data sheet and see it it suits your needs.

Shoot a coat on as a high build

Scuff the high fill coat down to 320 or 400 to fill the  sanding scratches,

Then mix up the Valspar as a sealer and shoot

At which point you stop. This is the finish  you get and I believe but have not tested, that it is weatherproof. So I leave that research to you.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
7/4/20 9:20 p.m.

How much are you going ot want to get the truck back into the "booth" to clean up and get ready for paint again after driving it for a month or two?  Seems like a lot of work to do a second time. 

But it isn't my time and effort so huge grain of salt with this comment.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/5/20 8:16 a.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

This was a reality that I tossed around for a long time.

My original plan called for getting the car on the road  in this condition: No bodywork and the sheetmetal all wrinkly. Just rust repair and primer.

The idea was that I would assemble the car, drive it for a year and debug all and any mechanical glitches that I found and not risk all the pretty paint.

But one of two things was going to happen: I was going to love driving this thing and never blow it apart for another year of hard work that ultimately did nothing to improve the fun bit. OR I was going to get frustrated , not drive it much and just set it aside as not worth the time and effort to toss good time and money after bad. In hindsight, it would have been the latter and I would never have painted it.

java230
java230 UberDork
7/8/20 6:49 p.m.

Thanks everyone. Just got back to civilization after backpacking. I'm beat, but ready to hit the IH. 

On the high build vs primer. 

My thinking on epoxy is to cover the metal. I have a lot. I know there are some DTM high builds, but it just seems like epoxy is better? 

I think you all are probably right. Spend another week or two blocking high build then primer.... It's only another couple weeks if I keep at it. I have told SWMBO I want half hour a day (weekdays...). 

I think if I finish the current sanding (6-8 hrs) then high build (2 weeks of weeknights?) blocking and it's primer time.

Ugh decisions. 

java230
java230 UberDork
7/9/20 11:39 a.m.

OK mental musing is over. I will do high build. 

Now should I use the epoxy I have under or save it and go over as a "can drive" step?

Searching a bit this AM, found Evercoat Optex, 4:1 high build poly. TDS: http://www.evercoat.com/images/ePIM/original/TDS_100740_OptexSuperBuild_US-ENG.pdf

Sprays pink, sands out gray, low spots show pink, high white. Built in guide coat. Its DTM as well. Thoughts?

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/9/20 11:45 a.m.

Id say it sounds perfect! Soray epoxy over the finished surface. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/9/20 2:02 p.m.

The evercoat product looks good to me. Wish it was around when doing the Molvo. But that is the thing about painting, the products change so fast that unless you do this all the time, you can't keep up.

Pete

java230
java230 UberDork
7/9/20 2:41 p.m.

Thanks guys. I think I shall order a gallon? 

Sounds like garage cleaning is in order for spray time!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/9/20 3:34 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

Maybe 2 gallons? That is a big truck! And the stuff goes on thick so you go through it.

java230
java230 UberDork
7/9/20 3:59 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Hmmmm maybe..... Says 2-3 coats. I used 1/2 gal of epoxy for two coats (not incl hardener) 

java230
java230 UberDork
7/9/20 8:50 p.m.

2 gallons ordered. Smoothness here we come! 

You will find low spots that need a touch of filler on top of the high build. You will alsofind high spots. Just be prepared,  cause I sure wasn't!

180, another coat of high build. 220/320, coat. 500/600 wet thats what I did on neon.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zzt98FAVPT8A1oUa9ghty1Lwuh8gkoi7nICPKt62QWVliH2JiG8FR8JSvugOLtYK