2 3 4 5 6
VegasNick
VegasNick New Reader
2/13/18 7:21 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Awesome! My goal is having her ready for the Thanksgiving rod run. Not sure we will make that goal, but hoping! 

VegasNick
VegasNick New Reader
2/13/18 2:50 p.m.

Ok, I lied. Not done this week yet. 

Getting the Dry Break all settled in:

And started doing some wiring cleanup:

NickD
NickD UltraDork
2/13/18 5:30 p.m.

Not sure if you've settled on a paint scheme yet, but Richard Petty said in an interview that his '72-'74 Chargers were his favorite car that he raced. The Petty Blue/Granatelli Red scheme is also kind of an interesting twist.

VegasNick
VegasNick New Reader
2/13/18 5:45 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Beautiful car!! I am actually leaning towards one of these two:

Or this:

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/13/18 6:00 p.m.

The 11 car. Hands down.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/13/18 6:15 p.m.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ HalfDork
2/13/18 9:02 p.m.
NickD said:

Not sure if you've settled on a paint scheme yet, but Richard Petty said in an interview that his '72-'74 Chargers were his favorite car that he raced. The Petty Blue/Granatelli Red scheme is also kind of an interesting twist.

I believe they ran them all the way up to '78.  The reason: these had better aero than the "aero" cars they replaced.  

VegasNick
VegasNick New Reader
2/20/18 7:23 a.m.

Most of my days off this week have been spent between Ikea and turning a spare bedroom into the world's largest condo...for Barbie. My wife collects them and we all know the story about a happy wife! 

But I have managed to get the K member assembly back into swing:

Hopefully next week I'll have it back under the car. I have some little cleanup stuff left to do first and it's much easier when I can stand up in the engine bay!

APEowner
APEowner HalfDork
2/20/18 3:42 p.m.

I'm really digging this build.  Not that you asked but I prefer the two tone paint jobs on the Charger race cars of that era.

VegasNick
VegasNick New Reader
3/3/18 6:59 a.m.

Not so much on the car this week, but more about tools. I managed to get the front window out. More than tree pieces, but less than 100. After breaking the cable on the cutter about 100 times, and trying ten different way to do it, I finally cracked the window and said the hell with it. Luckily it's really good laminated glass. I am going to replace with factory glass and make a template for a lexan one just to have on standby. So any way, spent the rest of the day cleaning up the window frame, repairing some rust holes, painting the inside of the firewall etc. 

Now I am back to fabricating the seat mounts so I can set the main hoop position and get on with the rest of the cage. 

And today, I bought a plasma cutter. 

Since I'll have so many gussets to make, I think this might be a little cleaner than the wheel of death. 

VegasNick
VegasNick New Reader
3/6/18 7:21 a.m.

Finally feeling like I am making progress again!

Test fitting seats and installed the steering wheel quick release. Had to mark the harness bar location, now I am fabricating and welding that so I can stick the main hoop back in. Hopefully I can get the anchors set for my tube bender this week and get on to making the side hoops. Steady and slow progress! 

VegasNick
VegasNick New Reader
3/12/18 2:54 p.m.

Well it was raining here in Daytona when I started today so I got under the car and fabricated a new 3/8 fuel line. AN fittings on both ends! Fuel filter at the fuel cel end yet to be mounted. 

3/8 stainless is a bitch to straighten and bend! :) 

Sun came out so it was time for a workout! 

1994CheyenneSuper
1994CheyenneSuper New Reader
3/12/18 9:59 p.m.

I like this, I want to do this to a Chevelle Laguna.

VegasNick
VegasNick New Reader
3/13/18 8:17 a.m.

In reply to 1994CheyenneSuper :

If you can find one! Man, I have been looking for one, even raced would be fine. 

1994CheyenneSuper
1994CheyenneSuper New Reader
3/13/18 10:45 p.m.

In reply to VegasNick :

I have found a few but they want as much as the 1970-72 models and they ain't worth that much.

VegasNick
VegasNick New Reader
3/14/18 7:27 a.m.

In reply to 1994CheyenneSuper :

Same thing happening with these Chargers. Finding hulled out bodies now for $3500 and up! Just nuts! 

VegasNick
VegasNick New Reader
3/14/18 8:37 p.m.

To the point of test fitting the dash and making the cutouts for the side hoops. Finally looking like a race car. 

VegasNick
VegasNick New Reader
3/23/18 10:10 p.m.

I went to grave shift at work. 12 our shifts so it is cutting into race car time. I have started welding in the door bars, the corss bar behind the dash and started working on drilling up the dash for the gauges and such. 

And tonight while I am work bored, I started buying up the contingency stickers that were originally on the #71 car. 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
3/24/18 4:05 p.m.

VegasNick
VegasNick New Reader
3/24/18 4:05 p.m.

Another test fit of the dash after installing the defog vents. 

Campbelljj
Campbelljj New Reader
3/24/18 4:47 p.m.

Build is great. My vote is white with gold on colors. Plus it's already goldish.....  like. 

VegasNick
VegasNick New Reader
3/26/18 4:47 p.m.

Started the door bars today. 

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
3/31/18 12:10 a.m.

Awesome build man, I definitely am loving this.  

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
4/2/18 8:22 a.m.

I bought the same plasma cutter last year.  Even though I've only ever run it on 110V, I love it.  I hope you do, too.  It definitely seems safer than the spinning wheel of death.  And way faster.  

No input onto the color scheme, any one you pick will be awesome.  Continue to love this build.  

VegasNick
VegasNick New Reader
4/2/18 12:51 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

Thanks man! 

So far so good on the plasma cutter! I have to cut some 1/8 plate today and it does make it so much easier! 

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
93b693NU67N2Co1VJPxIBEgZKuU9nurbVzBfeNCFLVUlN5CFFO5hfnjititRi2cM