1 2 3
Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs New Reader
2/14/20 5:32 p.m.

No real surprise there...the stacks(including the salad bowl stack) that distanced the stack from the incoming air did the best...also no surprise they did better than no filter at all...they smoothed airflow into the carb...they did what stacks do when you dont stick a filter in the stack itself...its why on ITB setups they recommend a distance of at least 19mm from the edge of the stack to the nearest surface...whether its airbox wall or filter element...from any edge of the bellmouth

Young_olds
Young_olds New Reader
6/5/20 1:25 a.m.

I finally bought the stienmentz style box flares. I bought, as far as I know, the widest version available but they still are not as wide as the old flares which made my wheels poke out. As a solution I bought some Oz Vega centers to build.

the wheel in the picture is a 16x9.5 Oz Vega I was using to help get an idea of backspacing 

Young_olds
Young_olds New Reader
6/5/20 1:32 a.m.

I recently squared away some issues with my steering rack/column. Got new suspension bushings in the front, rear was done last year when I did my rear end upgrades. I finally fit and bolted on one of my new fenders, and have been working on my cooling system. Last year I was running the factory radiator with a spal pusher fan and had a hard time staying in the 200* area. As of now I have a coolant surge tank added( an increase of 1 gallon of coolant) and switched to a mechanical fan. I found an aluminum stock replacement radiator that claims a 50% increase in cooling but I can get another factory one free and the mods I need done cheaper. I have always been under the impression that copper cools better but aluminum provides weight savings. 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/5/20 7:46 a.m.

For the most part yes. Some measurements show aluminum radiates heat into air better due to the lower density, although I won't say I understand that. The one disadvantage to copper is that it corrodes more readily in the presence of water than aluminum, and that corrosion GREATLY reduces thermal transfer. In well maintained systems with the correct additives this is less of an issue, but those systems are rare in the field.  From a manufacturing perspective aluminum is the choice first because it's MUCH cheaper, and secondly because it's lighter.

Bitchin Opel BTW. I love the idea of using the 215, seems like a period correct 70s hot rod move.  I had a '71 Kadett for a while that was a field find. It defeated me before I could get it operational. The 1900/Manta is MUCH cooler.

Young_olds
Young_olds New Reader
6/25/20 1:47 p.m.

I went with another stock copper radiator. I finally got my hands on four Dell'Orto drla carbs, I order rebuild kits, venturis, throttle linkage etc. this morning. I measured for lips and barrels to build my oz's, hopefully ordering those soon. I'm not excited to sync 4 carbs, only previous experience is with a buddies 3tc with two dcoe's, but I am excited to have this look under the hood.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
6/25/20 2:34 p.m.
Young_olds said:

I went with another stock copper radiator. I finally got my hands on four Dell'Orto drla carbs, I order rebuild kits, venturis, throttle linkage etc. this morning. I measured for lips and barrels to build my oz's, hopefully ordering those soon. I'm not excited to sync 4 carbs, only previous experience is with a buddies 3tc with two dcoe's, but I am excited to have this look under the hood.

preach
preach Reader
6/25/20 6:59 p.m.

Very cool!

Young_olds
Young_olds New Reader
8/6/20 11:21 p.m.

I cleaned up my centers and received my lips, barrels and hardware to build my new wheels. I have not worked on the car for a few weeks but I did get my hands on a magneto for the 215.

Young_olds
Young_olds New Reader
8/16/20 9:33 p.m.

Still slacking off but I finally got around to a test fit.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
8/17/20 5:43 a.m.

That shot really makes the cars resemblance to the BMW CS series apparent to me.  

Young_olds
Young_olds New Reader
10/20/20 9:56 p.m.

Finally got the car running. Something was funny with the Mallory dual point but while at work today I remembered I had a brand new Winterburn cdi box in my den( been there so long I forgot I had purchased it). Wired that up to the Mallory and she runs, still needs tuned and a radiator fan, and the brakes/new master bled amongst a list I'm not even sure of the length of. But I was too excited and had to drive it to the front and take pictures. 

Young_olds
Young_olds New Reader
11/15/20 9:32 p.m.

Buddies were over so we had to get the manta out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxFnyfMbLSQ

brad131a4 (Forum Supporter)
brad131a4 (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/15/20 10:31 p.m.

You my friend are a little heathen. In a fantastic way of course. Just noticed you have bagged the front end even. I  like the Scorpion in the front as well. Keep up the good work.

Young_olds
Young_olds New Reader
11/29/20 8:37 p.m.

I removed the Momo racing buckets in favor of these padded eBay specials for now. Driving position has been greatly improved now that I have raised and properly mounted seats. 

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
11/29/20 10:34 p.m.

In reply to Young_olds :

Seats look great, do you have a link to them?

Young_olds
Young_olds New Reader
11/30/20 8:24 a.m.

In reply to Racingsnake :

I do not, I could not find them. If you type in retro bucket seat you will find similar seats, mine were $300 for the pair iirc.

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
11/30/20 10:07 a.m.

In reply to Young_olds :

Thanks, I'll do a search

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
11/30/20 11:05 a.m.

Just now found this ......way kool!!!!! Any secrets to be found in your 215......cam , cylinder heads?

Young_olds
Young_olds New Reader
11/30/20 2:15 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG (Forum Partidario) :

mostly stock, it has an erson tq20 cam, edelbrock performer, quadrajet, Mallory dual point with Winterburn cdi. And the headers.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
11/30/20 6:25 p.m.
Young_olds said:

mostly stock, it has an erson tq20 cam, edelbrock performer, quadrajet, Mallory dual point with Winterburn cdi. And the headers

So you're running the stock heads ......interesting......I have two of these in my possession....was wondering what the hp/tq is on these lightly modded 215's.......all ears 

Young_olds
Young_olds New Reader
12/1/20 8:26 a.m.

I have not had one of these on a dyno, based off other builds that have been, I guess my engine is around 215-220hp on the high end.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/1/20 9:15 a.m.

Outstanding!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EBDUEAmpbIbiJvxxzP2S1ft1L3Y96ZdMFCnbvjd3W3F6GpRBLKsXfu5rx3dA0LWw