mdshaw
mdshaw New Reader
8/8/18 5:42 p.m.

After a 4 year hiatus, I was able to get back to the D16Z6 swap into my 76 Civic CVCC. 

Had a spare motor so rebuilt it. Bored to 75.5mm, @ 11.3:1 compression, ported head, Delta 272 reground cam, Supertech valvetrain, copy of a Bisi Moto 4-1 header, B16 TB, ported oil pump, rebuilt L3 cable Si transmission with LSD, etc.  I had previously installed BCR coil overs & built a rear disc setup from old J/Y Prelude brake parts, as well as a bigger MC & booster from newer Civics. So it stopped & handled well, just was lacking in the go department when last driven 4 years ago.

After much fabrication & some yellow spray paint in the engine compartment, the motor should go in tonight.

I chipped the P28 & will use a custom B16B tune for startup & breakin. 

Does anyone know if the temperature sender is the same resistance as the old ED’s? I think the tach signal will still drive the tachometer but not sure. 

Yes I taped off the VIN & Honda Made in Japan labels before painting.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
8/8/18 7:02 p.m.

In reply to mdshaw :

That’s awesome!

ErikTheSwede
ErikTheSwede New Reader
8/8/18 7:11 p.m.

I built a 1979 civic with a D16a1 1988 Integra twin cam engine with a T3 turbo and old Wolf 3d engine management back in 1999-2000. Being as green as I was with tuning it never quite ran right but I was able to get a 12.8 ET out of it. Was on Hopi tunervision back in 2002 and Honda used pictures of it in 2004 for one of their civic ads

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/8/18 7:13 p.m.

Ive always thought this would be an awesome swap. What are the details of the actual drivetrain mounts?

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy SuperDork
8/8/18 7:15 p.m.

Wow, great car.

mdshaw
mdshaw New Reader
8/8/18 11:05 p.m.

Well it fits. For the 3 mounts I used 3 bushings & made all custom mounts. The left mount used part of the original & added to it. The right is bent dom tubing. The rear torque mount was the hardest, 2 pieces with the bottom mounted to the subframe.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UsNIIhrMKxSZZ8Fck8Eo08ymtqbq6dV8rwSjhikBcCGNNpscJ9k9ZdUYGss5hWvL