2 3 4 5 6
Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
4/6/21 10:43 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

You need the correct hat. A flat bill just won't work, this ain't no Subaru.

Can you really call it a land yacht if the driver isn't wearing some sort of glorious  captain's hat?

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/6/21 10:51 p.m.

I got some vintage pinstripe tape in this year's GRM box, get me a decent close up pic of it and I'll see if some of it matches

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
4/7/21 5:51 a.m.

In reply to cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) :

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/7/21 3:41 p.m.

The stuff I have is gold instead of brown and not the same width. Sorry!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
4/7/21 3:43 p.m.

In reply to cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) :

Somewhere, there's a black car that needs that and a matching firechicken on the hood.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
4/16/21 5:27 p.m.

The steering started getting even more disconnected feeling and I figured something was up- the old track bar was basically falling apart so I stuck a Moog replacement in there:

While it was up I put a louder muffler on it because I am a child and I can't own a big v8 without hearing it:

It's still remarkably quiet, thanks to 30ft of exhaust tubing and an ancient catalyst.  The steering is so much better now.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/16/21 7:34 p.m.

I would expect no less than a louder exhaust from you. 

I didn't realize these things used a box and track bar setup. yech. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
4/17/21 7:53 p.m.

This rig shows up on google earth images.....wink

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/4/21 4:03 p.m.

Spotted today.  Silver car, silver duct tape endcaps. 

It's a diesel too. 

java230
java230 UberDork
5/4/21 4:29 p.m.

You putting a louder muffler on your road trip car is not making my desires for cutouts on my DD any better.....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/4/21 4:32 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

You can barely hear the thing, the sound is coming from like 30ft away when you're sitting up front.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/4/21 4:33 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Wow.  I clearly should have just color matched some painter's tape!

java230
java230 UberDork
5/4/21 4:36 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

That is a valid point. Mine would be directly under the passenger compartment.... Buuuttttt I can turn it on and off.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
5/5/21 8:34 a.m.

Fellow barge enthusiast here, this thing rules. 

Some stuff I've carried in mine on roadtrips have been v-belts in case one whips off at speed, spare plug wire incase one happens to get toasted, points/rotor, coil. Yours looks like it has HEI so if you wanted to be real nuts you could bring an extra ignition control module, I think those fail on occasion. 

Otherwise just bring nothing and wing it, it'll probably be fine. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/13/21 12:35 p.m.

The ancient catalyst gave up the ghost and started falling apart, so I welded a universal one in place of it:

No photo description available.

Have been using the car for errands and it has been behaving.  Unless something new comes up, I think fixing the air conditioning and the cruise control may be the next tasks... neither of which I feel an immediate need for, but both of which would be nice to have on a long trip.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/13/21 5:26 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

If the AC doesn't turn out to be something simple I can get you in contact with some Cadillac AC experts. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/13/21 5:31 p.m.

I'm a DA. Just remembered that I have a collection of shop manuals. If you don't have one I can send something to you. I found these on top of the pile as a worse case. I can dig further and see if I have 77. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/13/21 5:43 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

If you have a "nineteen hundred & seventy seven" I'll buy it just for the title!

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/13/21 5:48 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

I'll dig into them tomorrow.

java230
java230 UberDork
5/13/21 6:20 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Calling Disturbed13 for ac help 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/13/21 7:04 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

Actually the guy that gives the AC lectures at the Cadillac Lasalle Club Grand National meets.  Cadillac guys tend to OCD.  Michael would fit in well with them.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/14/21 6:25 p.m.

I dug through them and I swear I have every manual from 59 to the early 80s except 77. I even found these in case anyone wants to work on the first American air bag system. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/14/21 6:29 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/29/21 6:51 p.m.

I have been driving this all over the place and getting a consistent 13 mpg, which seems pretty good for a 7 liter engine moving an entire living room around.

Today I hooked up the gauges hoping for even the slightest bit of pressure in the air conditioning system:

Started the engine, opened the valves and...

Womp womp.  At some point I'll hook up the vacuum pump and see if I can find a leak; today I had to tear the dash out of our truck to fix its' air conditioning- one GM HVAC nightmare at a time.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/30/21 5:25 a.m.

Early morning in Pennsylvania obligatory Wawa shot:

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oJR1MIBpWdLhZaHAz4jkkUorryIQ31MEQLENaZs46AqSbbNNgnCU2MqRUhQireJg