3 4 5 6 7
wheels777
wheels777 Dork
12/5/13 9:40 a.m.
Jerry From LA wrote:
wheels777 wrote: How many bolts hold a front bumper on a 80 Sunbird? How 'bout 30.
How many of those bolts were rusted solid? How 'bout 30. What a PITA.

The car has 40K on it. Only 3 were a PITA, 8 were previously removed and loose, 19 played nice.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
12/5/13 9:52 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote:
wheels777 wrote:
SilverFleet wrote:
wheels777 wrote: Entertainment at its best...the Formula has this kind of steering wheel. I was taking to a guy who said they are worth $300. I couldn't argue or agree. So, I searched for one on eBay. We watched the auction to the close, It sold for more than I bought the car for. I don't want to sell the wheel, but it would zero the budget in a hurry. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-PONTIAC-FIREBIRD-TRANS-AM-BLACK-FORMULA-STEERING-WHEEL-MINT-ORIGINAL-/321255638813?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Xqg8gFE35a3ubxWxhpiaCm250xk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_408wt_1362
A good factory Formula wheel can get stupid money from the resto crowd, especially the colored ones. You can also buy a way nicer reproduction that's got a fatter grip and that's wrapped in real leather for around $150 from Lecarra Wheels if you can settle for a black wheel. I need to get a new one for my Trans Am someday, and I was just going to get a reproduction black wheel. My stock wheel is a hard to find color (Dark Carmine Red) and getting a nice one will probably cost me north of $1k!
Oh my! Mine is black. When the headers sell, I would be happy to sell the wheel to you for the difference. I paid $300 for the car, and don't need to make a profit on the car. I just want to zero the budget.
I'm interested, but it depends on the price and all that stuff. I kinda promised myself I wouldn't touch my Trans Am until my CSX is done. Also, money is tight right now with Christmas and stuff. Got any pics?

Our schedules just loosened up. We can discuss in the new year. The headers should be sold next week - so far one guy is seriously looking at them at $125. They are 2135 Hookers in great condition. Very little else will be sold. There is extra interior parts, the right seat, radio, heater parts, probably $12 in metal scrap ($0.09/# rate as of 12/2), the heater core is a few bucks to scrap or sell. But whatever the delta is I will pass the savings along. Yes, its an inside deal as you are a GRM-type Dude, but I don't think you're building a Challenger. If you don't want it, eBay (one of the event sponsors - Thank You) will get another listing.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
12/5/13 12:24 p.m.
wheels777 wrote:
SilverFleet wrote:
wheels777 wrote:
SilverFleet wrote:
wheels777 wrote: Entertainment at its best...the Formula has this kind of steering wheel. I was taking to a guy who said they are worth $300. I couldn't argue or agree. So, I searched for one on eBay. We watched the auction to the close, It sold for more than I bought the car for. I don't want to sell the wheel, but it would zero the budget in a hurry. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-PONTIAC-FIREBIRD-TRANS-AM-BLACK-FORMULA-STEERING-WHEEL-MINT-ORIGINAL-/321255638813?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Xqg8gFE35a3ubxWxhpiaCm250xk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_408wt_1362
A good factory Formula wheel can get stupid money from the resto crowd, especially the colored ones. You can also buy a way nicer reproduction that's got a fatter grip and that's wrapped in real leather for around $150 from Lecarra Wheels if you can settle for a black wheel. I need to get a new one for my Trans Am someday, and I was just going to get a reproduction black wheel. My stock wheel is a hard to find color (Dark Carmine Red) and getting a nice one will probably cost me north of $1k!
Oh my! Mine is black. When the headers sell, I would be happy to sell the wheel to you for the difference. I paid $300 for the car, and don't need to make a profit on the car. I just want to zero the budget.
I'm interested, but it depends on the price and all that stuff. I kinda promised myself I wouldn't touch my Trans Am until my CSX is done. Also, money is tight right now with Christmas and stuff. Got any pics?
Our schedules just loosened up. We can discuss in the new year. The headers should be sold next week - so far one guy is seriously looking at them at $125. They are 2135 Hookers in great condition. Very little else will be sold. There is extra interior parts, the right seat, radio, heater parts, probably $12 in metal scrap ($0.09/# rate as of 12/2), the heater core is a few bucks to scrap or sell. But whatever the delta is I will pass the savings along. Yes, its an inside deal as you are a GRM-type Dude, but I don't think you're building a Challenger. If you don't want it, eBay (one of the event sponsors - Thank You) will get another listing.

I have more than Challenge money into the engine alone, so you will never see it there.

Yeah, I'm in no rush... it's probably going to be awhile before I turn a wrench on my Trans Am anyway. And just to clarify my previous rantings, I've seen driver-quality black wheels can go anywhere from $30-100ish depending on condition, it's the colored ones that get stupid money, especially the rare colors. The aftermarket has made nice black-rimmed ones available, but colors are not yet available as far as I know. The color-matched ones became an option later on in the late 70's, so there are a lot more black ones out there.

Red ones came in 2 shades: Firethorn Red and Dark Carmine Red, and both garner stupid money if they are close to NOS quality. The one-year-only 1981 brown and dark blue wheels and the light blue ones from the late 70's are insane as well.

You think this is crazy... try finding a nice original un-cracked dashboard. Mine's getting a plastic dash cap.

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
12/5/13 2:36 p.m.
wheels777
wheels777 Dork
12/5/13 3:56 p.m.
Gasoline wrote: 1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula Filler Panel Info

Interesting. Guy with the same name has the same car.

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
12/5/13 4:05 p.m.

I did not even catch that! I was too busy looking at the pictures. It was a pretty interesting read.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
12/5/13 4:54 p.m.
Gasoline wrote:

I did not even catch that! I was too busy looking at the pictures. It was a pretty interesting read.

FYI, there's a guy on the Studebaker board with a similar name and a Stude' that looks like one we have in the barn

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
12/6/13 9:57 a.m.
SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
12/6/13 12:33 p.m.

In reply to Gasoline:

DEM FLARES THO

I want to find a Monza Mirage and make a Sunbird IMSA car out of it. Damn....

SEADave
SEADave Reader
12/6/13 3:47 p.m.

Wheels - there was a Sunbird like that in a Pick n Pull near me. It had been advertised on CL for like $1800, and both me and my son had seen it but thought they were asking too much. Then at our last visit to the Pick n Pull there it was - we knew it was the same car because one of the rear side windows was replaced with plastic & duct tape. Unfortunately it looks like it is gone now or else I would head up there and see if it had the pieces you need. It's just sad when someone won't drop their asking price but will sell to the junkyard.

Silver - I thought those Lecarra Trans AM Steering Wheels came in something like 13 colors. If you aren't looking for concours restoration I would think one of those colors would be a decent match for Carmine.

In any case, I got a good education on TA steering wheels. Luckily my '81 has a really nice blue wheel - didn't realize that was something special. I picked up a Camel Tan one that I was planning on dyeing black for my '78 Esprit, but I may pass it along to someone who needs a colored wheel and buy a black one if they are cheaper.

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
12/6/13 7:12 p.m.

In reply to Gasoline:

I have friends in Lafayette who can pick up the spoiler. I'm sure we can find a way to get it to you too.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
12/7/13 6:13 a.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to Gasoline: I have friends in Lafayette who can pick up the spoiler. I'm sure we can find a way to get it to you too.

I am going to call and see if he has the filler panel.

I am also looking for a manual pitman arm p/n 3978040

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
12/8/13 2:48 p.m.

7 hours to just figure out how to run the headers...and what else need moved. That is zero work, just planning. Auuugh!! Ras-a-frat'n, grumble, grumble, grumble. Trying to make 2" headers to fit without cutting the floor or frame is tough on an H-body.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous HalfDork
12/9/13 10:16 a.m.

You could go forward with them.

(And budget for some wheelie bars)

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
12/9/13 11:32 a.m.
hrdlydangerous wrote: You could go forward with them. (And budget for some wheelie bars)

We actually discussed doing that....but....

1. It goes against the "must have muffler" rule at the house.
  2. We want to drive it on the street.
  3. I have always wondered if it would have a detrimental effect on aero/speed.
wheels777
wheels777 Dork
12/9/13 11:37 a.m.

BTW, we are looking for a steering universal. I have a 3/4" 30 spline to 3/4" smoothe, and a 3/4" smoothe to smoothe from previous flea market scores. I need a 3/4" 36 spline to smoothe or double D for the steering box end of the shaft.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr Dork
12/9/13 12:00 p.m.

A spline to Double D would be a jeep cherokee or grand cherokee. Not sure on the length or spline diameter or count though.

I grabbed one and used it in place of the rag joint on our 78 Malibu. Bolted right in!

Rob R.

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
12/9/13 12:31 p.m.
wheels777 wrote: I am also looking for a manual pitman arm p/n 3978040

That PN comes up as a Vega manual box arm also. Should be easy enough to find.

TAParker
TAParker New Reader
12/9/13 12:52 p.m.

I too forgot about these "formulas"............

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
12/9/13 4:28 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: A spline to Double D would be a jeep cherokee or grand cherokee. Not sure on the length or spline diameter or count though. I grabbed one and used it in place of the rag joint on our 78 Malibu. Bolted right in! Rob R.

Pics? (Requested by the guy who does know how)

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
12/9/13 4:29 p.m.
Gasoline wrote:
wheels777 wrote: I am also looking for a manual pitman arm p/n 3978040
That PN comes up as a Vega manual box arm also. Should be easy enough to find.

Ha ha ha ha Should be,,,

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
12/20/13 7:38 a.m.

Haven't been able to work on the car in 2 weeks. I am "Jones-ing" to get home for vacation. Planning on building the headers.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/21/13 3:45 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U81_0waqEWA

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
12/21/13 6:13 p.m.

We love "Road Kill". Paula and I visited with Finn for a while at Drag Week. Laugh...good gravy that was fun. And the Monza was at DW, but I think they threw in the towel when Lutz lost a head gasket. I actually would like to have the Monza....less the leaf blowers . They would probably end up as something to hang on the barn wall. 139, I need to have a good showing....

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
12/23/13 5:59 a.m.

Just tacked together. Laying them on the floor does not show how tight the bundle is, but the frame, floor, master cylinder, steering are all very close to the engine...AND... they are being made to clear a blow proof bell and a T400 and be a one piece design. Unfortunately the plugs for cylinders #5 and #7 will have to be accessed from under the car.

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zvQh9s4F23uy9IgggOiOVKGjzTMch86VHBZaYocyPjChYZxkp7S2eFmNhDajXQ8U