Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
11/27/17 7:54 p.m.

Double update!  I finished off the outside panel templates after work today.  These will get riveted/bonded in.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
11/27/17 8:10 p.m.

your CAD panel  exercise is excellent......the poster board is from hobby lobby.....office depot?????

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
11/27/17 8:15 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

We live in the future. Amazon Prime. 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
11/27/17 8:24 p.m.
Gimp said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

We live in the future. Amazon Prime. 

The wife lives in the future .........I'm an instant gratification kinda knucklehead...OK thanks for future ref.

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
11/27/17 8:29 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

They called it “railroad board.” The 25 pack was reasonable. 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
11/27/17 8:35 p.m.

The size of the sheets is what caught my attention....well done, love your dzus emblems....Sharpie???

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
11/27/17 8:40 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Even better. Those are the actual fasteners. 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
11/27/17 8:45 p.m.

You have a whole box full......Noooo!!?!??!!!!????

nocones
nocones UltraDork
11/27/17 8:51 p.m.

I know there is probably ample clearance to the glass but I would be trying to figure out a hook in/push in fit for the 4 dzus on the rear edge just due to difficulty to access all the way in there.  Unless you aren't running rear glass or will have external access holes.  Otherwise the templates look great.  Finish panels were actually one of the hardest parts of the MG for me.  

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
11/27/17 9:06 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

I’m running a lexan rear window and my best guess is I have just enough room. Worst case, lexan is easy to drill holes into. 

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
12/11/17 8:13 a.m.

Just a small update.  Last bit of temple-making to get the trans tunnel put together.  Is there anything blue tape can't do?

And then in paper

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/11/17 10:56 a.m.

Hurry up i want to drive it

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
12/13/17 7:23 a.m.

Tape became poster board and poster board became 18 gauge steel.

This was the first cut and bend.  Some trimming and tweaking is needed, but I'm really happy with how the first fit went.  This will be bolted in so that it is removable for service.

A friend of mine asked me how I bent it.  My response: "clamps, roll cage tubing, ratchet straps, a welding tank, my gut, and Kate standing on the workbench holding things down."

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
12/13/17 8:45 a.m.
Gimp said:"clamps, roll cage tubing, ratchet straps, a welding tank, my gut, and Kate standing on the workbench holding things down."

Sounds Kinky....

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
12/13/17 9:23 a.m.
Thinkkker said:
Gimp said:"clamps, roll cage tubing, ratchet straps, a welding tank, my gut, and Kate standing on the workbench holding things down."

Sounds Kinky....

Luckily no kinks... only bends. devil

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/13/17 10:14 a.m.

Bolted down or DZus?

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
12/13/17 10:23 a.m.
759NRNG said:

Bolted down or DZus?

The tunnel is getting bolted down because I hope to not have it off that often.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/13/17 10:47 a.m.

torx25's? wink

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
1/16/18 7:45 a.m.

Now that temperatures are more reasonable (to the point where my garage heater can put a dent in things), I can knock out a few of the little things that need to be done before paint.  This time it was sealing up the firewall.  Most folks use aluminum and pop-rivet over the holes, but I had sheet steel on hand so I did things the hard way.

I'm never going to "smooth" the firewall on this car, but I do have a new respect for those who do.  This is a ton of work, and I'm just going for good enough for a race car.  The plan is, once everything is said and done, the firewall will get a coating of Lizard Skin, so it will help hide some of the irregularities.

The car was in a pretty nasty wreck before I got it, so the passenger side sheet metal under the fender isn't pretty.

Next up was sealing up the cowl, both the vents and the windshield wiper holes.  The goal here is to prevent a bunch of little holes acting as flame throwers should there ever be a fire.

Getting close to stripping the chassis the rest of the way and prepping for paint.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/16/18 8:27 p.m.

needs more 

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
1/22/18 8:35 a.m.

Just another small one, but somebody got a bath. I spent the morning power-washing probably 15 years of dust from grinding and storage.  It was way more dirty than I thought.

And I love looking at the "poke" of the rear wheels.

This is the first step in prepping for paint.  Once I rolled it back into the garage I got it up on stands and removed all the front suspension and steering.  Rear axle and suspension come out next, then a few final welds, then a lot of sanding and paint prep.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/22/18 8:46 a.m.

Any shots of the finished rear interior panels? Did you happen to bead roll any of them? 

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
1/22/18 8:50 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

They haven't been done yet, but we will be bead rolling them.  Hopefully they will be ready in the next few weeks.  Larry is currently working on welding up the exhaust, so those are next when he's done.

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
1/29/18 8:32 a.m.

At some point, sand and earplugs (and I guess Dairy Queen spoons) will stop falling out of this car.

I finished getting the car stripped down to a bare chassis over the weekend to start paint prep.  I was pretty happy with how everything came apart, and I've been bagging and tagging to hopefully make my life easier down the road.

While I had things apart, I took a moment and did the "final" trim on the rear wheel openings, finished up some welding I couldn't get to in the rear section, and wrapped up a few odds and ends.

I have just a hair more welding to do on the front floor and transmission tunnel, and then it's time for paint.

I'm hoping to have the car fire by my birthday (June 3rd) and have it to an event on June 30th for a shakedown (minus bodywork).  Lofty goals, but it's a good target.

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
2/5/18 7:52 a.m.

Just when I thought I was in the full disassembly stage, I realized I needed to get a dash into this thing, so I ordered up a kit from S&W Racecars.  Pretty happy with things so far.  I hope to finalize it this week.

It comes with an insert for the gauges that I've already marked out.  I hope to show that soon.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KybdzkimEdRMxMNiB3PEncmT0N2ny6frq5jZNM77cDMa9TrONVKj4I7IwaVQP4mi