PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
4/30/18 2:08 p.m.

Its always satisfying to cover up all your body work in a fresh coat of primer. Looks good!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
4/30/18 5:49 p.m.
Gimp said:

Status update - dusty.

Had to build me a murder room to keep the dust from taking over the entire garage.

How’d you get a selfie of me?

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
5/3/18 7:23 a.m.

mmmm..... carbs

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
5/3/18 9:08 a.m.

In reply to Gimp :

Looks more like a fuel-fountain! :-0 That’s a big ‘un  

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
5/3/18 9:24 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to Gimp :

Pro Systems was awesome and super easy to work with.  I sent them my engine and car info, along with intended use, and they built this sucker for me.

For your Autocross/Road Race program, we can build you one of our XC series HP Gasoline double pumpers that offers great performance, incredibly quick throttle response and can be set up to be perfect for your application. 

It HP Series type main body, Black VENOM II billet metering blocks, our adjustable air bleed configuration, non-stick gaskets, Wedged floats (to offset G-forces), CNC Billet baseplate, rear anti-siphon mods (for hard braking), a complete wet-flow portfolio, a real sharp piece with stepped dog leg boosters, the new big sight glass bowls and hi-flow needle and seats.

Just bolt on and go. 

Typically I see a 20-30 hp improvement over an off the shelf unit with much better driveability. 

We'll size it for the exact cfm range when it is on the wet flow bench to match your programs needs. 

But it'll probably end up being in the 760-800 REAL cfm range. 

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
5/3/18 9:48 a.m.

That should work nicely. 760-800 real cfm range, seems kinda low for some reason, ya think? cheeky  Someday I should get someone to flow test the old intake, just for fun.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
5/3/18 10:02 a.m.

Boy, your car took a hell of a T-bone at some point in its life.

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
5/3/18 10:37 a.m.
jstein77 said:

Boy, your car took a hell of a T-bone at some point in its life.

You aren't wrong, but I don't think it was a t-bone.  I think it was an off-center front hit.  They had replaced the door, but there was damage in the rear quarter that got more shallow as it got further back.  This is why I had zero issue cutting up such a "clean" car.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
5/3/18 10:48 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to Gimp :

dammit, now I want to find some used carbs to make little water fountains out of.   

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
5/4/18 7:24 a.m.

Lizard Skin ceramic insulation is sprayed.  I only ordered on gallon.  Hindsight, I could have used a gallon and a half, but they don't sell it that way.  I focused on the areas that I imagine will be the "warmest" and made sure I had the mil thickness they required there (the firewall panels, trans tunnel, along where the exhaust runs, over the collectors, etc).

I also shot the engine side of the firewall.

And let it double up on the inside.

I then hit the floor to get a uniform surface.  The thickest areas are near the center where the exhaust will be.

I couldn't forget the rear where the firewall panels fit up.

This stuff was easy enough to spray, but man does it like to overspray.  Not a big deal for me, as I'm only in primer at the moment and still have to sand the car for paint, but if you were to do this on a finished car, you should mask the entire thing.

The backside of the firewall panels, along with the underside of the floor where the exhaust runs will also get heat reflective foil to keep temps inside down.  It might be a race car, but being comfortable is key to keeping your head straight when racing.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
5/4/18 9:39 a.m.

So, you still remember how hot my car got inside. That should help out with the heat. A standoff heat shield (shield with an air gap) like you find on newer cars where the exhaust is would help even more, but sometimes the room isn't there.

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
5/4/18 9:45 a.m.

In reply to 81cpcamaro :

Unfortunately, I probably won't have the room for a heat shield.  The price we pay to tuck the exhaust way up there.  Hopefully reflective foil and Lizard Skin will help take the edge off.

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
5/14/18 8:16 a.m.

Paint!  (well, paint on the inside and chassis).

Murder room disassembled

Satin black on the dash area to cut down on glare and tie in with the dash.

Battery and fuel cell area

Had to show the rear end some love too.

Now we thrash to put the thing together and get it started in only a few weeks.

nocones
nocones UltraDork
5/15/18 2:23 a.m.

Fantastic.  Can't wait to see it running.  Looks good in paint.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
5/15/18 12:21 p.m.

outstanding!   seeing it in paint has got to feel good.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
5/15/18 12:29 p.m.

Thats sexy. Good job!

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
6/4/18 11:22 a.m.

So I took last week off from work, and made a big push to get the car running on my birthday (June 3).  My credit card and FedEx guy hate me, but we managed to pull it off.

Rear axle and suspension in

Front suspension in

Pedals and ignition stuff

Dash in

Ram Assault Weapon clutch

Bellhousing

Motor in place

Big old oil cooler

Exhaust in

Battery and fuel

And, then the part we all (or at least I have been) waiting for since 2003...

subrew
subrew Reader
6/4/18 11:46 a.m.

Looks awesome, congrats!

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
6/4/18 11:56 a.m.

2003. Damn.

Thanks for helping to normalize long term projects. This is coming together so well - I got goosebumps from the first start video. Thanks for sharing it here!

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
6/4/18 1:30 p.m.

Yay!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
6/4/18 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Gimp :

Hot damn!!!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/4/18 1:50 p.m.

Abso-berkeleying-lutely fantastic!!!!

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
6/4/18 2:05 p.m.

Wish I could have made it!

How much more is your fedex guy and wallet going to hate you by June 30th?

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
6/4/18 3:59 p.m.

Awesome to see it alive. Not much longer and you will be driving it in anger.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
6/4/18 7:09 p.m.

My group always seems to be working the course at Nationals when the CP or CPL cars are running. I look forward to seeing this car on course

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Rkzq95CIsEQn3Zq7FdCdsHbpdaohZcn76XISKDlCQBisYENgzW4CMQz5hHXCo4RP