1 2 3 4 5
Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
1/22/13 1:23 p.m.

Mustang Boy looks awfully familiar. Have I met you before, Gimp?

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
1/22/13 1:46 p.m.

Mustang Boy, aka ApexCarver, aka Joe is a member of this board as well.

You are from Frederick, right? We've probably crossed paths at autocrosses in DC, Frederick, or Cumberland. I currently drive a 2011 WRX hatch in DS, but I've had a BMW 318ti, SRT-4, and Hyundai that I autocrossed (Andy Thomas now rallycrosses the Hyundai).

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
1/24/13 9:33 a.m.

I autox with CDC all the time. I drive the car in my profile. See you in a couple months...

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
1/24/13 11:11 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote: I autox with CDC all the time. I drive the car in my profile. See you in a couple months...

One of the great things about Florida is autocrossing year-round. My first event of the year is coming up this Sunday in Deland, and January events frequently have the nicest weather of any all year.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
1/24/13 11:26 a.m.

Yes, but the only problem there is that you live in Florida.

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
1/24/13 11:35 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote: Yes, but the only problem there is that *you live in Florida.*

QFT

Lof8
Lof8 New Reader
1/24/13 9:04 p.m.

This car is really badass! Keep up the good work!

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
1/25/13 8:41 a.m.

Thanks! The biggest issue is that for the last couple years the car lives 2 1/2 hours away from me. Next planned trip is Presidents Day weekend. I'm hoping to have it sitting on all four wheels for real then. After that, rear suspension building happens.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
1/25/13 8:43 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote: Yes, but the only problem there is that *you live in Florida.*

yeah but the ability to wrench/race year round is greater than the risk of having a naked man jump off your roof and poop in your hallway.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
1/25/13 9:22 a.m.
Gimp wrote:
fasted58 wrote: Stout build, gonna track day it?
The car will, first and foremost, be an autocross car. I will probably hill climb it, but I'm not sure it will be geared well for the track.

rear diff with quick change capability? This car will be friggin RAD regardless - love that body style. My parents brought me home in a 78 firebird, though I prefer the split bumper camaros truth be told.

Still, I really am looking forward to updates, no matter how sporadic they may be!

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
1/25/13 9:32 a.m.

Yeah SkyRender, You know me from CDC at Harry Grove.

Gimp, Looking forward to the holiday weekend, need me some shop time!

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
1/25/13 10:39 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
Gimp wrote:
fasted58 wrote: Stout build, gonna track day it?
The car will, first and foremost, be an autocross car. I will probably hill climb it, but I'm not sure it will be geared well for the track.
rear diff with quick change capability? This car will be friggin RAD regardless - love that body style. My parents brought me home in a 78 firebird, though I prefer the split bumper camaros truth be told. Still, I really am looking forward to updates, no matter how sporadic they may be!

I thought about it, but the rear is going to be a full floater, cambered 9". Adding the quick change to that really just adds cost. 9" center sections aren't that hard to swap out, so if I really wanted another gear set (if I knew I was going to a tight course, for example) I could do it in the week leading up to an event.

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
5/6/13 12:39 p.m.

No photos (yet), but I did just make a big purchase to help move the project along. Ron Ver Mulm cut me a hell of a deal on a Jerico WC4 trans and just about everything I could ever need to put that in. Never driven a dog box before, but I'm very much looking forward to it.

I may have also found a garage a little closer to home.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
5/6/13 12:43 p.m.

While I'd have a hard time justifying it in an autox car, driving a Jerico is ridiculously grin inducing.

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
5/6/13 2:37 p.m.

I couldn't pass up the price and the fact that it was mounted in the same chassis that I'm using. It was a bit of an easy button.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
5/6/13 2:41 p.m.

Good point.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
5/6/13 3:51 p.m.

If you get into time trials and hill climbing, then the Jerico will be a joy. It will be fun and anytime you can get one for less than new is a bonus.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
5/6/13 4:09 p.m.

I have looked longingly at a dog box as a possible place to take a chunk of weight out of the Mustang. The trans itself is damn light. Now, add in bell housings, mounts, etc., and the advantage may go away. But that's one reason I've looked at them.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
5/6/13 4:47 p.m.

I have suspicions that Gimpy will be on the market for lead bricks before the end of the project to meet the class minimum weight

Considering that the last time I saw the chassis (with most of the cage in it) I could pick the rear end up off the jackstands by hand, its going to be light. That said, still needs rear suspension, drivetrain, fuel, seat, dash, steering, etc, etc...

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
5/6/13 6:02 p.m.

Glad to see this going again

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
5/7/13 7:47 a.m.
Apexcarver wrote: I have suspicions that Gimpy will be on the market for lead bricks before the end of the project to meet the class minimum weight Considering that the last time I saw the chassis (with most of the cage in it) I could pick the rear end up off the jackstands by hand, its going to be light. That said, still needs rear suspension, drivetrain, fuel, seat, dash, steering, etc, etc...

You would be right on the weight. I had to add 200 lbs of lead to my Camaro and only my hood is fiberglass, the rest is the original steel panels, with some lightening of course. Mine came in at 2760 lbs before I added the weight, needed to be 3050 lbs. I also added a second battery and finished the cage up (side bars mainly). This all brought it to 3065 lbs give or take.

Paul, I found the best price for 50 lb lead "bricks" here: http://www.smileysracing.com/

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
5/7/13 9:00 a.m.

Not at the point of needing lead yet... more like needed to get the lead out.

The trans is a great step, and I've got a plan for moving forward. I hope to have this thing turn a wheel next season. It might be ugly, and it might be slow, but it will be loud and self powered.

noddaz
noddaz HalfDork
5/7/13 4:50 p.m.

Nice job on your Camaro.. Impressive modifications. I do have to laugh about your old license plate. I used to have a 1972 SS Camaro and the tag on it read NOTAZ28 So I understand...

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
6/17/13 7:47 a.m.

Not too much in pictures to update. I have the transmission and other bits sitting in boxes in my living room (I love my wife).

We did make a trip up there yesterday to get some work done. It was one of those days where you do a bunch, but at the end of the day, after you clean up, it looks like it did before.

But my wife fabbed up some "pedestals" for the rear end:

And we welded the stock rear axle to the frame rails, at ride height with the proper wheelbase set:

This axle is only temporary - we will be ordering a custom 9" down the road, but this lets us to get our measurements and do all our ugly fab work on a throw away piece.

With this in place, we can start building the brackets and links for the rear end, and actually get things "suspended."

I do love this photo, only for the image of the tires mounted up on the rear.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/17/13 8:07 a.m.

Your Mulletmobile racecar is gonna be ridiculous! In the best possible way!

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PViasyiTCQa4bRVHbLgKmtKxTP2a6IlbHcOzCxdZD1kwlPAhKLeKgz0vlTQBZ6pk