Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/22/21 8:07 a.m.

Wtach me ramble on about things you already know about...

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
7/5/21 4:04 p.m.

The next race is almost here.  Added some insurance, and checked the setup from the last race.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/5/21 9:06 p.m.

Nice video....looks awesome!  Look forward to seeing your next event results. 

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
7/7/21 3:05 p.m.

And just like that... signed up for 2021 SCCA Solo Nats.

SpeedTheory
SpeedTheory Reader
7/7/21 5:57 p.m.

In reply to Gimp (Forum Supporter) :

The oneders shirt is super rad.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/14/21 7:04 p.m.

Nice!!

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
7/19/21 8:02 a.m.

I had an incredible weekend visiting Patrick and his family.  Unfortunately (maybe) the racing was a bust.  O2 sensor failed off the trailer, and then it started pouring rain.  We packed it up and grilled and chilled instead, which is way better than fixing a car in the rain.

That said, I may head to Jersey this weekend...

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
7/27/21 8:01 a.m.

It was an interesting week of "racing," but we are getting more and more dialed in ahead of Nationals.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
7/27/21 8:50 a.m.

I love watching these updates, but have you considered turning off the godawful image stabilization on the gopro so it's not panning all over the place during an autocross run?

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
7/27/21 8:58 a.m.
RedGT said:

I love watching these updates, but have you considered turning off the godawful image stabilization on the gopro so it's not panning all over the place during an autocross run?

Absolutely. I hate it. It was supposed to be off by default, but the change didn't stick. It will be resolved next time. 

RedGT
RedGT Dork
7/27/21 9:18 a.m.

:thumbsup:

Also, cool, just noticed I get to see this thing in person in a few weeks!

SpeedTheory
SpeedTheory Reader
7/27/21 9:45 a.m.

Was great seeing you. Wish I hadn't been so busy while I was there, was just super fun chatting about the car a bit. The last time I saw it was in Dixie? when there was some ridiculous fueling problem a year or two ago. 

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
7/27/21 10:23 a.m.
SpeedTheory said:

Was great seeing you. Wish I hadn't been so busy while I was there, was just super fun chatting about the car a bit. The last time I saw it was in Dixie? when there was some ridiculous fueling problem a year or two ago. 

We were still carburetted in Dixie, and I had a stuck float on the first day that was flooding out the engine.  My lack of experience tuning and screwing with carbs is what lead to the EFI.

Funny enough, I could have been fuel starving then as well, but the fuel bowls in the carb masked that issue.

Now, with the EFI, we are just uncovering more growing pains, but the next parts on the way should fix the problem for good.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/27/21 7:12 p.m.

Back in the day I drove a 924 with retrofitted mikuni carbs for a friend of mine. It worked well at moderate pace, but when really pushed to 10/10 at summit point it would starve at 1 and 5 ( oddly one right hander , one left hander ). I sent them to Wolf Creek racing for baffles, played with the jets and pressures...did everything I knew to do, but ultimately gave up and went back to efi. I love carbs but for racing, I am all about efi. 

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
8/2/21 3:49 p.m.

So hopefully the fix is in. 

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
8/5/21 9:02 a.m.

I spent some time under the back of the car last night and realized that the angles of my upper link and lower links were way off from where I intended, and that rear ride height was off.  Much of this is just the result of finishing a car and making it work, but not going back and checking what one change will do to something else.

Should be interesting to see the change at the race this weekend:

• Lowered the rear ride height one inch
  • Angled the upper link down to the percentage range it should be in
  • Took angle out of the lower links to get them back into the proper range

I know I'm not sharing numbers here.  I'm pretty open about most aspect of my build, but the angles and percentages were given to me by another racer with a significant amount of experience with this chassis, and I'm not sure they would want those being public knowledge.  In a nutshell, we are targeting a high rear anti-squat value.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
8/8/21 6:19 p.m.

Raw video from today's race. Tossed a camera on the suspension to watch the changes. 

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI New Reader
8/8/21 7:09 p.m.

It looks like you have the engine tune working now. Did the accusump keep the oil pressure under control.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
8/8/21 9:15 p.m.

Nice looking run!  

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
8/9/21 8:13 a.m.
DrMikeCSI said:

It looks like you have the engine tune working now. Did the accusump keep the oil pressure under control.

Tune was spot on.  Overal numbers were down due to humidity, but we did find 30ft lbs of torque down low and you could really notice on course. 

As far as the Accusump, I wasn't having nay control issues - it's there just as a safety device that I hope I'll never need.

jh36 said:

Nice looking run!  

Thanks!  I'm still learning to drive this sucker, but it's coming together. 

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
8/10/21 4:12 p.m.

And a little recap from the weekend...

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
8/10/21 6:54 p.m.

Good luck with prep!

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
9/7/21 12:10 a.m.

So it seems like I've got at least a coincidence, at least as far as showing up to two events with a broken car.  Three events would be a pattern. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
9/7/21 9:12 a.m.

Sending out 'good karma vibes' that you can get can it healthy in time.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
9/8/21 8:15 p.m.
Gimp (Forum Supporter) said:

So it seems like I've got at least a coincidence, at least as far as showing up to two events with a broken car.  Three events would be a pattern. 

I'm with you...exactly. I am 0 for 2 and going in for #3 at Hyperfest. Let's both break the streak. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dZPpAOYI6MDTUy6gfkQm6j5Mnn5ioT0wY2x6Ka4HBrO2TpZ7cRQe8iQTYMG8oIsp