1 2 3
Dan_G
Dan_G
3/30/18 8:40 p.m.

A friend was selling his E30 for stupid cheap and I couldnt pass it up. So I figured I would turn it into a rallycross car. Supposed to be an uncommon build, leather sport seats, M steering wheel, and manual windows.
What I have to work with is a 09/83 production 1984 318i Coupe Manual. Not super rusty but not great either, has about 130k on it. 
First the bad, 1-2 sychro is gone, needs all general maintenance, and has no brakes. It does run pretty well and drives good. All suspension bushing have recently been replaced, newer radiator and head gasket as well. 
First job was getting it home, borrowed a truck and trailer and brought it to my house.

Car had been sitting about 6 months without moving, normal soap or carwash wasnt touching the dirt so I washed it with simple green.

Luckily there is a great local E30 rallycross following by me so I have been picking their brains on what to do. Will be a fairly basic SR build for now. Just doing tires, maintenance, mud flaps, and a skid plate.
First up was finding why it had no brakes used some google and found the rear T is a common problem and sure enough its leaking there.

Need to order some copper nickel lines to replace everything. Ordered a skid plate along with stainless braided lines.
Also ordered some snow tires to use for rallyx, cost more than I paid for the whole car.

This weekend I'll be doing some basic maintenance and going over the car a bit. May do more if parts get here on time.
Im hoping to have the car ready in 1-2 months for a few events in the near future. As of right now, I dont plan on replacing the trans until I do at least a few events.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/30/18 8:53 p.m.

First!

Yeah, a bunch of the e30 rally-x guys are on here me (Josh H), bluej (Josh S.), nick drymalski (who runs an e36 m3 now and used to run an e28), and several others who don't really have build threads.. Trying to think about whether I have any M10-related items back in my shed from before I did the M42 swap. If I find any, they're yours.......

Dan_G
Dan_G New Reader
3/30/18 9:16 p.m.

Awesome thanks. Depending on how quick I can get this car reliable and how quickly the event fills up, Im trying to make the April RallyX. I dont really see that happening though. 

Ordered brake line and some flaring tools yesterday, depending on how much a fight the current lines put up I may have brakes this weekend.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/30/18 9:58 p.m.

Looking at your brake line rust, thinking of other areas to check. #1 rust spot for e30s is the driver's floor right under the gas pedal, and since it's attached there, that needs to be checked (I've seen multiple e30s have the pedal break right off the floor from rust). So definitely pull the front carpet and check there.....

Dan_G
Dan_G New Reader
3/31/18 6:12 p.m.

You're right there is barely a floor left under the gas pedal.

Dan_G
Dan_G New Reader
4/3/18 7:00 p.m.

Not much progress recently. Removed most of the rear brake lines to prepare for replacement. Also replaced the spark plugs and air filter, doesnt misfire anymore.

Removed the master and brake line attachment at the front of the car

Dan_G
Dan_G New Reader
4/6/18 10:36 p.m.

Still no real progress weather and my work schedule isnt cooperating but these did come in.

Dan_G
Dan_G New Reader
4/15/18 12:43 p.m.

Small progress, rain has been holding off today. Managed to get the front half of the brake lines in.  Going to be joining the front and rear brake lines near the fuel tank. Would have had everything in today but UUC has taken over 3 weeks to ship stainless lines they said were in stock. When they come in the car should be able to be driven again.

Dan_G
Dan_G New Reader
4/15/18 3:59 p.m.

Got a little done before it started raining again, mud flaps are installed.

Rallycross Banners came in, will add these after the car is actually in an event

Also found a nearly complete 325 in a local junkyard. Only took the taillight I needed off it. Went back a few days later and someone else got the subframe hood and grille.

Flushed the power steering fluid

Dan_G
Dan_G New Reader
4/22/18 8:15 p.m.

Some progress today, was hoping to have it drivable by today but that didnt happen. Wheel cylinder broke as I was tightening the final fitting. Skid plate came too should be installing it this week.

Dan_G
Dan_G New Reader
4/26/18 7:56 p.m.

Almost done, finished the brake lines and bled them today. Took the car for its first drive, just need to check for leaks tomorrow.

Used my homemade brake bleeder to help.

Brought my other 80s car home too.

Next step is bleeding again and installing the skid plate.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/26/18 8:10 p.m.

In reply to Dan_G :

Happy to see you got the Red46 plate and not the crappy Race Skids one that a lot of people get. The Red46 plate is bulletproof. My stage car plate was made by him as well, to (larger) custom specs and is great.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/26/18 8:12 p.m.
Dan_G said:

Almost done, finished the brake lines and bled them today. Took the car for its first drive, just need to check for leaks tomorrow.

Used my homemade brake bleeder to help.

Brought my other 80s car home too.

Next step is bleeding again and installing the skid plate.

yesssss

Dan_G
Dan_G New Reader
4/29/18 7:52 p.m.

Thought you would like that picture.

Driven it about 80 miles so far. First issue popped up, there is no pad left on the front brakes. Parts ordered and should be here and installed Tuesday.

Skid plate wont be installed for this coming weekend's event. Hopefully wont be an issue.

Only real progress today is I put the most expensive set of wipers I've ever bought on it

Dan_G
Dan_G New Reader
4/30/18 11:12 p.m.

Tonight whoever is still following this gets to look at cappy low light pictures. Worked 12 hours today and started taking apart the front brakes.

Pads were very worn, some down to the metal. Whoever worked in this brake system before must have had malicious intentions. I found inverted flares on the rear and in the front they tried to seal holes in the piston dust boots with rtv.

Tomorrow pads will be replaced, left the pads at work. Wednesday the rally, snow, tires go on. 

You can see the metal on metal in this picture

Rightmost pad has no material on it

Dan_G
Dan_G New Reader
5/1/18 7:03 p.m.

Not much progress today, slapped some pads on. Should be ready for the RallyX Sunday at Summit Point. Tomorrow the tires go on.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
5/1/18 7:35 p.m.

You shouldn't be using much brakes in rallycross anyhow with an M10 ;) I know from experience lol...

Dan_G
Dan_G New Reader
5/2/18 2:40 p.m.

Tell me about it, trying to maintain 70mph on the highway on any hill takes 4th gear and full throttle.

Dan_G
Dan_G New Reader
5/3/18 6:57 p.m.

After consulting with some local experts I decided not to hold off on the skid plate and installed it tonight. I guess my car is slightly tweaked at the core support. Had to use nuts and washers instead of the plate.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
5/3/18 8:02 p.m.

now let's hope this event happens. Weather is looking hit or miss...

Dan_G
Dan_G New Reader
5/5/18 5:56 p.m.

Looks like its happening. See you tomorrow. Hoping to be there 7am.

Dan_G
Dan_G New Reader
5/6/18 5:41 p.m.

Get ready for a picture dump. Had an awesome time. A very technical rainy muddy morning course made the runs slow but really opened my eyes to driving with no grip. It was really cool being recognized by people on here. Never had that happen before.

I only got one run on the afternoon course before the ruts got too deep but that course was great. Flowed very well and was fast. Rain let up by then so there was some actual grip out there. The start got bad enough that there were pushing/rolling starts.

I'll be back for next event. Overall the e30 did great.

Arriving all nice and clean. Was very nicely met at the track by some federal police.

Friend with his RWD Commanche showed up

Waiting for my first run, rain

After the morning run, took an early lunch waiting for the rain to let up

View from my work station in the afternoon. We had to traverse a ton of mud to get to the other field and I pushed a few cars out of it

After the afternoon courses runs, looks like a proper car now

My friends Jeep and I

He pulled too far up the dolley. Had to get creative with 3 jacks to get it free.

Finally home, another friend stopped by with his E46 M3 he almost got stuck watching the RallyX

Dan_G
Dan_G New Reader
5/7/18 6:06 p.m.

Results were posted and I finished first in the SR class yesterday out of 5 people. Beat the guy in 2nd by 5 seconds.

I noticed a weird driveline vibration while driving home so I checked it out at work today.

Turns out the left rear wheel was loose. There was some corrosion on the hub that probably stopped the wheel from seating properly. I got lucky

Then I was also inspired by a TT towing a Miata on a dolly. Decided why not, bought a hitch from Europe for my RS4 that actually mounts to the frame and am making the RS4 my tow vehicle. Should have more than enough capacity looks the the A4 is rated to tow around 3500-4000lb.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
5/7/18 7:01 p.m.

You would not be the first e30 at a DC event to lose a wheel on course ;) Not me, by the way lol....but Alp Seyhan lost a rear off his a couple years ago at like 50mph at Frostburg, lol.

Anyhow, congrats on the win. The guy you beat was Jim Golden, a three-time SA champion who is running an S2000, so he's not slow! Hope you liked the course that I helped design (and didn't get to run myself!).

RKTFiST
RKTFiST New Reader
5/7/18 7:19 p.m.

Nice meeting you yesterday, and congrats on the win! I have the Miata that was pitted next to you.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d84tbHmYXScucRcMhKYAFMRVML7oyIcJSX2ZewwWFGtk61raRPU2wfz2bWCFPNya