1 2 3 4
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
3/12/19 10:58 a.m.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads as far as the sheet metal repairs are concerned- my normal MO would be to cut away the rust, fix anything I find behind it, then slap on the new patch panel right over whatever is left and weld the resulting lap joint.  On the rally car I didn't even bother grinding the welds or trying to blend it!

I'm conflicted as to whether this car is too "good" for that, and whether I'm capable of making a nice flush seamless repair- my concern is that, in trying to do a "nicer" repair, I might berkeley it up worse than my usual imperfect but functional technique, which I at least get consistent results with.  If it weren't for the Datsaniti and Molvo builds I probably wouldn't even be asking myself this question.  Hmm.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
3/12/19 11:52 a.m.

what's the biggest room in the house? the room for improvement. (my brother in law is a high school coach haha)

see if you can learn how to do the nice repair!

adam525i
adam525i Reader
3/12/19 2:15 p.m.

The great thing about this is every time you screw it up you will already have the tools and more experience to fix it!

It looks like those are pretty inconspicuous areas that you need to repair on the car, flaws won't super noticeable down low. NoHome's pulse welding method makes butt joints really easy on sheet metal with just a bit of practice. I think the paint will be the hardest part.

Give it a try, we're all watching.

Adam 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy SuperDork
3/12/19 2:40 p.m.

Gaunt596
Gaunt596 Reader
3/13/19 3:21 p.m.

since you have a kinda stock MR2, i have a question. how well does the AW11 platform accommodate tall drivers? i still really want one, but being 6'2" im not sure id even fit.

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
3/13/19 3:42 p.m.
Gaunt596 said:

since you have a kinda stock MR2, i have a question. how well does the AW11 platform accommodate tall drivers? i still really want one, but being 6'2" im not sure id even fit.

I'm 6'4" with most my height in my torso and I fit in one for a DD for 4+ years. A helmet put me against the t-top though and I had to slouch pretty good unless I took the t-top off but for non-helmet driving I didnt have a problem with it

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
3/13/19 3:53 p.m.

I’ve done a few patch panels on my VW, and if I did it with some degree of success I’m certain you can.  Besides, if you berkeley something up you can grind/cut it out and start over.

The hardest part in my experience is taking the time and being patient enough to try to make the end result look presentable.  For the things that don’t turn out the way I wanted there is body filler.

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
3/13/19 5:58 p.m.
edizzle89 said:
Gaunt596 said:

I'm 6'4" with most my height in my torso and I fit in one for a DD for 4+ years. A helmet put me against the t-top though and I had to slouch pretty good unless I took the t-top off but for non-helmet driving I didnt have a problem with it

Same here, I'm right at 6 ft,  and only have issues when wearing a helmet with t-tops installed.  Without the helmet I'm perfectly comfortable. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
3/17/19 6:32 p.m.

Painted the rollbar:  

Hit the floors with rust converter, and reinstalled the interior- getting the bar back in was a little difficult, it warped a little when I finished the back of those welds:  

Then it was on to the rust repair.  I started with the rear corners under the trunk- here's what they looked like under the mudflaps with the paint stripped:  

The other side was slightly better.  The DS one had a decent amount of bondo as well, looks like somebody crunched it a little at some point.

Because a number of you encouraged me to try it, I attempted to make this repair a nice flush butt joint instead of my usual obvious lap joint.  It didn't go great- I can cut, I can grind, I can weld, but when it comes to making a perfect gapless patch panel I completely lack the patience.  I tried a number of times, using the painter's tape trick I've seen in other threads here, but inevitably on all of the repairs I made this weekend I ended up welding in a piece I wasn't happy with and getting subpar results.  Next time I'll just do a lap joint again, it doesn't bother me to have the repair be obvious after the fact and I just don't enjoy spending 4x as much time to try and make it look slightly better.  That rear corner ended up looking like this:  

The other side is almost fully covered by the mud flap:  

Some rust converter to protect them until I paint:  

Then, for the rocker repair, I had to get the rear lift arms somewhere other than the pinch weld.  So I did, but it's pretty scary to have them that far forward so I also threw the screw jack under once the car was up again:  

Safety feature so I don't tip the thing by moving the lift with my 5th point of support installed:  

Let's chop out that rocker rust:  

Two more attempted butt joints, two more failures of my patience and resulting subpar work:  

I also filled the holes from the trim so that water hopefully doesn't go in there and rot it out again- there's still a drain hole at the bottom.  Rust converter again:  

Moving on from how I suck at bodywork, wheels.  The car came with the set I've been driving on, with ancient hard R888s that I really shouldn't be using on the street at all, as well as two sets of incredibly 80s Isuzu Impulse 3 spoke/turbine type things.  I gave one set to Brian (paranoid android) for his Rabbit project, and those were actually the best set I could piece together, because I wanted an excuse to refinish the remaining four.

Here's my starting point with the clearcoat stripped off:  

Then, after hitting the face of them with an abrasive wheel on the grinder, followed by a sanding block and some scotch brite, I degreased them and put them in the sun to dry:  

Then I sprayed a satin clearcoat onto them, let that dry, and masked the area I had scotch-brited prior to that:  

Then some black:  

And then a bunch of flailing around with a rag soaked in yellow paint, followed by white:  

Remove the tape and...

Oh yes, now this is the kind of cosmetic work I can get behind:  

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
3/17/19 7:10 p.m.

Those wheels are freaking EPIC. I love the idea, they're going to look fantastic on the MR2 :)

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
3/17/19 7:40 p.m.

I wondered what you had planned for finishing the wheels!  They look great!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
3/17/19 7:45 p.m.

Jackson Pollack wheels. Wowsurprise

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
3/22/19 6:26 p.m.

I did a test piece of John Deere yellow when I painted the wheels, it's close but not enough for me to paint the repairs that color:  

Did some masking with a very scientific way of lining things up:  

More masking and a few coats of the finest paint Rustoleum has to offer:  

Much better:  

I also sprayed everything that looked even remotely suspect underneath with rust converter.  Then got the windshield replaced, some tires mounted, and cleaned it.  Oh yes:  

There's hail falling at the moment so I can't drive it, but I'm pretty happy- the brief test drive I took before the precipitation was very good.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
4/2/19 7:47 a.m.

Drove the car a bunch last week and it made it clear that it wanted steering rack bushings and spark plugs.  So twosrus and NGK got some of my money:  

I've been commuting in it.  It's great!

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
4/2/19 10:59 a.m.

awesome - it looks totally great!

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
4/2/19 6:02 p.m.

So much 80s win :)

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
4/2/19 6:05 p.m.

two pics back - and forgive my lack of MR2 knowledge - but are those coolant pipes from the radiator going to the back?

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy SuperDork
4/2/19 6:06 p.m.

Yep, extremely cool.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
4/2/19 7:01 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

You bet, radiator in front, engine in middle behind driver. It is a mechanically stout X1/9 with much less luggage space.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
4/3/19 5:50 a.m.

In reply to irish44j :

Yep.  The car has a center tunnel which houses the fuel tank and has lines for coolant, brakes, clutch, etc. running through it.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
4/3/19 9:28 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I've been commuting in it.  It's great!

This picture reminded me of the time I spent 30 minutes trying to find my AW11 in a parking lot. 

I had pulled all the way into a spot in a multi-level structure and it was hiding behind a sub compact that I was *positive* was too small to obscure it so I didn't walk through that aisle.

Dan_69GTX
Dan_69GTX New Reader
9/30/19 2:14 p.m.

Here's your paint code.......for next time.....

I tried to contact you, but the form kept saying I had to be logged in....duh - I was if I could post this.....oh well....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
9/30/19 2:38 p.m.

In reply to Dan_69GTX :

WOW, thank you!  The paint job is holding up incredibly well, by the way.

Dan_69GTX
Dan_69GTX New Reader
9/30/19 8:19 p.m.

I’ve got some other pics and stuff for Scott’s car.  I’ve tried to contact you through the forum but it keeps saying I need to be logged in.   Maybe there is a post count requirement?!?

So, contact me if you can and want them. ,

Slippery
Slippery UltraDork
9/30/19 8:57 p.m.
paranoid_android said:

Nice car, and the history to go with it.  Super cool!

I also dig the wideband/TP indicator.  If you ever have to dig into that I’d be curious to learn who made it. 

Many years ago, probably 96-97, I bought a fuel A/F gauge very similar made by a company called Split Second. My memory could be failing me, but I believe it looked just like it.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
md2oc6RF5vaoNlWdXHk0oI8cnd2H5EYldesbg4jtT7ZeY5xPV4vjNnnrGyUCaPuW