1 2
thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago SuperDork
12/11/18 2:16 a.m.

Sweet truck! I've got a soft spot for old Fords. 

Fun to see someone on here from Shasta Lake. I sold my 87 toyota 4x4 to someone there when I was briefly back in Redding. 

JRH
JRH New Reader
12/11/18 12:48 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Haha, no worries. Well, thank you, I appreciate it a lot. I'll shoot you a message in a bit. 

JRH
JRH New Reader
12/11/18 12:53 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

Thanks man! That's neat, I was wondering if there would be anyone om here familiar with the area. That's a sweet Yota, and it looks familiar. I might've seen it around before.

JRH
JRH New Reader
12/12/18 10:42 p.m.

Took the truck off road today to try out the new tires. Did awesome on some of the rocky trails. Pretty impressed with the truck and the tires so far.

A buddy of mine just got one of his Scouts fixed up, so hopefully we can get a little wheeling in together soon. He took it up some trails early this morning so I caught the bug and figured I'd go out there a bit before work haha.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
12/13/18 8:52 a.m.

That’s the rig I want if I ever do my Tierra del Fuego expedition.  It’s got enough patina to not stick out too bad in the tough spots (thinking northern Mexico and Honduras).  It’s simple enough to fix anywhere along the path.  There is an abundance of parts for these in a South America.  Even today you cannot walk across a street in Buenos Aires without dodging an OBS Ford.

edit: and I don’t even care that one of the Turtle Expedition trucks used a Powerstroke.  I’d feel much more at ease in this than ANY generation of Powerstroke when I’m that far off the beaten path.  Powerstrokes (even the venerated 7.3) just have too many sensors, harnesses, and electronics to deal with when you’re deep in the bush. 

JRH
JRH New Reader
12/13/18 1:27 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

That'd be a damn cool expedition. Something like that is kinda what I have in mind for this one, rather than a work truck like I had planned originally. And I have to agree on the dependability and simplicity completely. I'm pretty confident that I can fix whatever breaks on this truck with a pretty basic tool kit and that's one of the best things about it.

JRH
JRH New Reader
1/6/19 1:43 p.m.

Hey guys, hope everyone had a good holiday. Ordered some new window felts the other day, and my mom bought me a stereo for the pickup. Gonna order door panels and speakers soon. 

And Robbie, I got the parts the other day, thanks again man. Much appreciated. 

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
1/6/19 8:25 p.m.

No problem - hope you can use em!

JRH
JRH New Reader
1/24/19 4:54 p.m.

Got a call the other day from a friend who buried his Toyota in the mud. Luckily I have a truck capable of dealing with things like this now haha.

It was pretty bad, took a good hour or so to get him out. Old Red didn't struggle a bit and the new tires did great in the mud.

Good times.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
1/25/19 10:03 a.m.

Looks great. I have those mudstars in 235/85/16 on my Montero. Planning to move up to the size you're using after i add a little more power. 

carwhisperer
carwhisperer Reader
1/25/19 2:02 p.m.

I'll sell you an ATS 093 turbo, air cleaner and intake manifold hat for $300 shipped.

carwhisperer
carwhisperer Reader
1/25/19 2:17 p.m.

Looks like you're kinda local to me. I'm in Sacramento. If you want to pick it up take it for $250

JRH
JRH New Reader
1/25/19 5:28 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

Thanks man. Yeah, I love these tires, especially for the price.

JRH
JRH New Reader
1/25/19 5:31 p.m.

In reply to carwhisperer :

I'll have to think about that. I'd like to keep it relatively stock, but I'll think on it. Thanks for the offer.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
1/25/19 10:02 p.m.

I usually do an eye roll when yet somebody else says 6BT swap.  You really could make a case for it here though.

JRH
JRH New Reader
1/26/19 12:19 a.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

I tend to agree, everyone and their mom is Cummins swapping something, but it's an idea that's crossed my mind if the IDI grenades on me in the future. I had a 94 Dodge with a 12 valve and a 5 speed a couple years ago and I miss it a lot. I wouldn't mind getting a similar feel from the Ford. 

JRH
JRH New Reader
4/2/19 5:51 p.m.

Busted out the soldering gun the other day and wired in the passenger side license plate light as well as removed a bunch of extra wiring done by a previous owner. Not an expert by any means, but decent enough to get the job done haha. Pictures below show what I took out and some of the wiring work that was on it before.

JRH
JRH New Reader
4/2/19 5:53 p.m.

Also, apologies for the lack of updates recently. I haven't done much to the truck other than drive it haha. I've been dedicating a lot of my free time to my '78 F100, which I'm thinking of starting a thread on if anyone's interested.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KnTKkqIveEEpQQ14YDIXzaA3Rr1UMboLjPWD7kYCJNBUvyAL66l159rPBh3TmG7m