1 2
surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/26/20 12:22 p.m.

Under advice from some peoplw at the challenge im putting my build thread here. I plan to bring this car back for the 2021 challenge, but will make some changes i feel the car needs this year. As well as some changes, i plan to really dial the car in with some autocross events and test n tune nights at the drag strip. 

Heres to improving the platform!

Car is 5.3 swapped with a TH400 and nitrous. 

For those who didnt see the car at the event. Here it is in all its glory. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
10/26/20 12:32 p.m.

Looks slow... make bigger tires fit. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/26/20 1:15 p.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

That's part of the 2.0 build. i plan to make a 1" spacer that bolts to the top of the rear coil over then bolts to the car. that should provide the clearance i need for a bigger drag tire. 

Also power steering. courtesy of a volvo s40 electric power steering pump. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/26/20 1:17 p.m.

I see you went with the 5th grade science fair approach to the concours  cheeky

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/26/20 1:17 p.m.

Gonna need some details about the power steering pump setup. Especially since the miata doesn't have the room for the electric assist column i bought....

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/26/20 1:23 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

I see you went with the 5th grade science fair approach to the concours  cheeky

Haha, It must of worked. I got 4th in concours. thats a helluva lot better than last year lol

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/26/20 1:25 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

Gonna need some details about the power steering pump setup. Especially since the miata doesn't have the room for the electric assist column i bought....

It is really simple. I drew my inspiration from Taylor Ray. he first tried it on his miata but it didnt work too well. mainly i think because the pump was mounted in his trunk and the lines were so long, but when he did it on his LS fc, it worked pretty good. And he happened to have the same exact 3 port power steering rack i have. 

Went to the junkyard and picked up the pump, lines and bracket out of an s40 for 44 bucks. only need to order like 2 fitting from summit or amazon, whichever is cheaper. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/26/20 1:53 p.m.

What year s40? Any links to write ups?

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/26/20 2:01 p.m.

Love the car.  I had an FC years ago and would love another.  Those body lines never get old to me.

I look forward to see where you go with it from here.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/26/20 2:21 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Any s40 from 2004-2013 idk what year i pulled mine from. but it was also used in other volvos as well. here is a link with basic info. but overall its very simple. you have a feed and return. a power and ground, and a 12v ignition source wire. so you can throw it on a switch, which is exactly what i plan to do. 

Volvo Pump

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/26/20 2:22 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

Thank you. I do love this body style as well. would love to find a similar year supra to compliment it...

Kbags
Kbags New Reader
11/1/20 7:32 p.m.

Can't wait to see what it does next year

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
11/1/20 8:16 p.m.

My goal next year is to not have you walk me at the 1/8th mile.  I'll be happy with the 3/8ths mile.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
11/2/20 12:00 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

It might be worse next year... 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
11/4/20 1:08 p.m.

I need to see how your front sway bar is attached or what bar you're running. 

edit: my stock bar is an 1" from fitting and I need adjustable end links. 

Does it have spacers on the mounting brackets?

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
11/4/20 5:43 p.m.

ill snap a pic soon. its red, im assuming its aftermarket, idk. Came with the car. i think like the rear, it has adjustable end links, but i cant remember. What i can tell you is i can barely fit a few peices of paper between the swat bar and the front of the oil pan...

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
11/24/20 9:15 a.m.

Well build 2.0 really is off to a start. The motor let go on the dyno this past weekend. Haven't had a chance to yank it yet but it seems as if it is a ringland/piston issue. I have a 5.3 on deck that will replace it. 

Car made 304rwhp N/A and 419 on a 125 shot. That was in challenge form with no changes to tuning. Had i had a chance to tweak the nitrous number would have approached 500 with the help of getting afr right and a bigger jet. 

Heres to coming back stronger! 3rd motor is the charm...

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
11/24/20 10:27 a.m.

In reply to surfshibby07 :

Truck engines are cheap and plentiful. Keep pushing the limits.

How much faster can you go with the 3 speed transmission and RX7 gearing? 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
11/24/20 1:18 p.m.

Well as it sits with those 25" tires. Top speed is 124ish. Putting 28s pushes it into the 140s. 

Spacers will be made to fit the 28s so i can both  launch the car and not hit the limiter. This car will see a 10 second pass next year. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
11/26/20 6:22 p.m.
Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
11/26/20 6:39 p.m.

In reply to surfshibby07 :

How did you ignore the orange 914 in the background?

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
7/12/21 8:49 a.m.

It has been a while. Adding a family member (Baby Ruby) and working on a slew of other projects has prevented me from working on the rx7. That is about to change.

a lot has gone on related to the car though, such as parts acquired, parts traded, etc. First off is i sold the nitrous kit. We will be coming with a boosted car this year. 

I have the new, cheaper, donor motor stripped to the short block and am getting ready to pull it apart to gap the rings. then its time to pull the motor and swap my cam and heads, etc to the new motor. Hotside piping for the new turbo kit arrived with a few spare gates and bovs for 130 bucks. it will need to be modified, but its a start. 

i have an electric power steering pump courtesy of the s40 in the orlando lkq lot. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
7/13/21 6:44 a.m.

Congrats on the new baby!!

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
7/13/21 7:22 a.m.

Thanks! better than any car i could ever own thats for sure lol

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
7/20/21 2:20 p.m.

well i originally was going to make my own turbo kit with a near complete kit i got cheap, but today i got a deal, and purchased an on3 kit with a 78/75 meant for an ls swapped! as a bonus, it is a complete kit! not sure if this will work but i am optimistic that it will with some tweaks! will upload some pics when i get home!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SV0D7rUupEx73jCPiUh1y2judzhCcrPJH0gL8qVzzgmH8UWgz5M3H54YGoHjasRG