1 2 3 4
speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
9/8/17 10:25 a.m.

In reply to Gunchsta :

Nope you will never see an LS motor in this car or any other V8 I don't think. The stock motor is great and I see no need to move to another motor. That said I'm not a swap nazi or anything. I love thinking outside the box and if a swap tickles someones fancy I wholeheartedly support it.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
9/8/17 10:57 a.m.

Good stuff man. 

In that vein what was the stock motor in these? Did they come with some variety of 4g63? Your valve cover looks nothing like the dsm stuff I've seen. 

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
9/8/17 11:00 a.m.

In reply to Gunchsta :

Well Starions / Conquests sold in the United States came with a G54B 2.6 liter SOHC turbo motor. Most anywhere else in the world where you bought one it would come with a SOHC 4g63 2.0 liter (sirius) turbo motor.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
9/8/17 11:10 a.m.

Awesome. I'm going to go check out your other build thread but I just noticed you're from LaCrosse and ride BMX... wonder if we know some of the same people. 

I'm from Minneapolis but have been around the Midwest BMX scene for longer than I really care to admit ha ha ha. 

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
9/8/17 11:13 a.m.

In reply to Gunchsta :

That's awesome man, I wouldn't doubt for a minute that we have friends or acquaintances in common. I'm an "Old Man" so I understand how you feel lol. Actually this is very short notice but if you still ride bmx and want to experience the Jellystone skatepark for the last time you need to come tonight and/or tomorrow. Its getting torn down after this weekend and a bunch of guys are all camping tonight and riding all day tomorrow.

Sorry, way off topic for the rest of the readers lol.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
9/8/17 11:21 a.m.

Well, I'm 30 which is definitely "old man" in the Bmx world, and I definitely still ride and had no idea Jellystone was closing! That's a bummer, I never managed to make it out there... and unfortunately never will I guess- I have a friends bachelor party tomorrow starting at noon and work till 4 today ha ha. Have fun camping, that sounds like a blast. Real shame it's getting torn down. Skateparks seem to be a tough business to run, most indoor ones seem to last about 3 years here. 

Yeah, sorry this got real derailed. laugh

anyways, Cool Starion!

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
9/8/17 11:23 a.m.

In reply to Gunchsta :

Thanks man, well if you are ever in the La Crosse area and want to ride or talk about cars let me know!

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
9/8/17 11:26 a.m.

In reply to speedyquest:

Definitely dude, would love to. Likewise if you ever make it over to the Twin Cities- plenty of fun stuff to ride and even some car spots to cruise to. 

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
9/8/17 11:45 a.m.

In reply to Gunchsta :

I'll message you my number since I tend to not check here super often. I actually end up in the cities semi-regularly so hell yea. I'm trying to finish all the fabrication on the car right now, then wiring and base tuning, then drive it around a bit before winter hits. I'll definitely be coming up there for both cars and bmx.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
9/8/17 12:15 p.m.

In reply to speedyquest:

Hell yeah dude, I'll shoot you a text back when I get it. Been reading through your build thread on starquest- awesome stuff! 

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
9/8/17 4:20 p.m.

Nice!

What seats are those?  

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
9/8/17 5:36 p.m.

I had no idea these were RWD! 

What was the purpose behind the tubular front structure? 

I'm no engineer, but it looks like this could use some extra bracing between the frame rails and the upper supports. With that "V" shape to the front end, it looks like a front end collision will most likely end up twisting what's left of the chassis, doing as much (or more) damage to the chassis as the tubular structure. 

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
9/8/17 11:23 p.m.

In reply to mikeatrpi :

They are a pair of the 1988 cloth seats. People seem to like these quite a bit.

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
9/8/17 11:31 p.m.

In reply to Crackers :

Well I'm no engineer either but this setup was kind of my attempt at a compromise between weight, strength, and appearance while still trying to keep in mind that I need some kind of crumple zone.

Also one reason to start the tube front end it in the first place was I found frame damage from a minor impact. It wasn't bad, more so an excuse to "improve it" haha.

tdrrally
tdrrally Reader
9/9/17 6:22 p.m.

i  miss my 87 esi-r 

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
9/9/17 11:31 p.m.

In reply to speedyquest :

I have a MIGHTY NEED to know where those headlights and housing came from. I need to know right stat now. 

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
9/10/17 6:43 a.m.

In reply to Trackmouse :

Well the headlights are universal 5 3/4" sealed halogen headlights. The "housing" is a cardboard mock-up for testing out one idea I had for the rally style headlight setup I'm making. It's grown past that idea though. It helped flesh a few things out for me though.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
9/11/17 12:29 a.m.

But... but I liked the rally headlights...

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
9/11/17 9:02 a.m.

In reply to Trackmouse :

Ohhh don't you worry, I'm still doing the rally headlight setup. I just meant that the mock up just showed me a few issues I need to think about and fix. Thats all. I'll have pictures soon ;)

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
9/12/17 8:13 a.m.

The "header panel" area is finished and the mount points for the headlight assemblies are made. Now I need to make the headlight housings and finally see if all this work will look decent with the non-rally car front end or if it looks like a cat puked on a bucket lol. Also I will need to fill the popup headlight space in the hood. I've got a few ideas for that.

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
9/24/17 5:48 p.m.

Another update, I finished fabrication of both the cam and crank sensor parts. I've also got everything finalized for the headlight setup which means all the front end parts could finally be painted. Just like all things in life sometimes your plans don't go as they intended and I had to re-fabricate everything involving the radiator and its location. The headlight "buckets" were just not going to fit with the radiator where it was. So its been moved into a more "normal" position which does make it more like the rally car or stock setup so that is a mixed blessing I guess. I don't have pictures of everything back together just yet but I did take some today of the front end going back on and how I did both my cam / crank sensors in case anyone was interested. If you want more details just ask.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
9/24/17 7:49 p.m.

I haven't seen a Starion with multiport EFI before, what intake manifold do you have on there?  The rally lights and grill look great too!

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
9/24/17 8:04 p.m.

Some Canucks came down to Black River Stages last month in a Starion. They ran pretty well (we loaned them our spare Spal fan when their fan bit the dust, and they ran without their hood on)....it was pretty cool to see one in action.

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
9/25/17 8:58 a.m.
Nitroracer said:

I haven't seen a Starion with multiport EFI before, what intake manifold do you have on there?  The rally lights and grill look great too!

Thanks man, I appreciate it. The intake is from a Mazda F2 2.2l turbo motor (626, probe). I made an adapter plate to mate it to the head.

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
9/25/17 8:58 a.m.
irish44j said:

Some Canucks came down to Black River Stages last month in a Starion. They ran pretty well (we loaned them our spare Spal fan when their fan bit the dust, and they ran without their hood on)....it was pretty cool to see one in action.

That is awesome! I'd have loved to seen that. Great pictures too btw.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x1ffk4SsSXboYT76M4UbWbJ0zFgDo3zCzK53JJssfULPOaL3zP9mjDdBJhcG9V9z