1 2 3 4 5
Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/4/13 9:34 p.m.

I wasn't happy with the brakes.

You'll recall that I had taken the original front rotors...

Photobucket

...and had them turned for $15 each.

Photobucket

The guy at the shop said that they had been really warped and, since they weren't all that thick to begin with, he was afraid to take much off. Needless to say, they didn't feel all that great when I reinstalled them.

Surprisingly, I found new Bendix rotors on clearance for $7.50 each! Too bad I didn't find them before I tried to save the old ones at twice the price.

Photobucket

06HHR
06HHR New Reader
1/4/13 9:51 p.m.

The exact reason why i stopped having rotors turned. You can often find a new rotor for less than the cost of having the old ones turned. I know they are often the cheap knock-offs that arent the quality of the factory rotors, but for a DD, it's often a better value proposition going with new than resurfacing the old.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/4/13 10:01 p.m.

One item that has really been bothering me is the broken heater control. If I do end up ice racing this car, the heat and defrost are going to have to work properly.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I don't have any photos of the process, but it was immediately obvious that this was a part that did not wish to be removed.

Photobucket

I'm not exactly sure how it was broken, but I have a few theories. It may have been damaged during the installation of the aftermarket stereo, but there is a more likely scenario. I suspect that one of the heater control doors may have gotten stuck or jammed and the control was broken in an attempt to force the flap into position. Either way, it's a pretty flimsy piece of plastic. It shouldn't be subject to much force, but it needs to be solid to work properly.

I tried Loctite Super Glue, which would have been nice as it sets up so quickly, but it is also quick to let you know when you're dealing with a type of plastic that it won't adhere to. Unfortunately, that was the case this time.

Instead, I mixed up a little two part epoxy. It didn't flow very well and it looks a little sloppy, but it should be strong. I'm letting it cure overnight and then I'll attempt to get it back in place without breaking it again. I don't expect it to be easy.

Photobucket

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
1/5/13 8:05 a.m.
06HHR wrote: The exact reason why i stopped having rotors turned. You can often find a new rotor for less than the cost of having the old ones turned. I know they are often the cheap knock-offs that arent the quality of the factory rotors, but for a DD, it's often a better value proposition going with new than resurfacing the old.

I can get mine turned for $9 per .... hard to find new for less

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
1/5/13 8:09 a.m.
Woody wrote: One item that has really been bothering me is the broken heater control. If I do end up ice racing this car, the heat and defrost are going to have to work properly. Photobucket Photobucket I don't have any photos of the process, but it was immediately obvious that this was a part that did not wish to be removed. Photobucket I'm not exactly sure how it was broken, but I have a few theories. It may have been damaged during the installation of the aftermarket stereo, but there is a more likely scenario. I suspect that one of the heater control doors may have gotten stuck or jammed and the control was broken in an attempt to force the flap into position. Either way, it's a pretty flimsy piece of plastic. It shouldn't be subject to much force, but it needs to be solid to work properly. I tried Loctite Super Glue, which would have been nice as it sets up so quickly, but it is also quick to let you know when you're dealing with a type of plastic that it won't adhere to. Unfortunately, that was the case this time. Instead, I mixed up a little two part epoxy. It didn't flow very well and it looks a little sloppy, but it should be strong. I'm letting it cure overnight and then I'll attempt to get it back in place without breaking it again. I don't expect it to be easy. Photobucket

those are a known weak spot on CRX .. and what you did is pretty standard ( some use JP Weld) ... typically replacement would fall under the category of unoptainium/unicorn

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/5/13 4:05 p.m.

I only saw one on eBay and the guy wanted $300 for it. No thanks.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
1/5/13 5:00 p.m.

even then you can't be sure it's the correct one ... the guy at the shop that was helping me swap mine out explained that the "new" one was a "digital" vs the "analog" that came out of my car ... not sure exactly what he meant but I ended up with a nice clean look .. but we had to hook up/wire up the new one so it only worked in re-circulation and combo heat/defrost mode and only gave me ~ 2/3 of the originally available heat ... so be careful

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/5/13 7:39 p.m.

So this heater control thing is the only part of this project that has really sucked.

Once the epoxy had cured and everything appeared to be nice and strong, I got out the soldering iron to reattach a light bulb wire that had broken off during the fight to remove the broken assembly. Reattachment was simple and uneventful.

Photobucket

Photobucket

All that remained was to reinstall the assembly into this miserable hole.

Photobucket

It's worth noting that there is very little extra space in here to work and that every inch of metal that you see was apparently honed to razor sharpness at some point in time. The heater controls go into the top part of the opening, above the immovable horizontal bar. The three electrical connections need to be plugged into the back, a small Z-shaped bracket needs to be screwed into the bottom and hung from a hole in the rear of the frame and two Phillips screws need to be fastened from behind to hold the rheostat control to the rest of the assembly. Did I mention the sharp metal?

Maybe it's because I'm impatient or lack tiny Japanese hands, but 90% of the way there, my repaired plastic let out a small snap.

Damn.

I decided to take a breather, wash my hands and rinse the blood out of my torn gloves.

After a bit of reflection, I decided that there was no way that I would be removing this thing again. I loosely fastened all of the screws to hold it into place. I forced the cracked plastic open with a couple of toothpicks, mixed up another batch of epoxy, worked some into the gap, removed the toothpicks and tightened the mounting screws. It was much sloppier than most of my worked, but it seemed like the only viable option.

It's back in the car, epoxy holding strong, and I've replaced all of the trim. I somehow neglected to take a photo of the finished product, but I'll add one tomorrow.

May you never be cursed with the task of removing and replacing one of these evil assemblies.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
1/5/13 7:46 p.m.

been there, done that, have some scarring.

they sell a overlay/repair/reinforcement plate on eby for like 6 bicks. yours is intact enough to be saved. all mine have crumbled to somewhhere near the mlecular level. i used an accord swap, that also sucked and failed.

michael

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/5/13 8:42 p.m.

Good to know. I'll look into that. Thanks.

mblommel
mblommel Reader
1/5/13 9:14 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

I had that sucky task on my 88 too. There is really no room to work in there and the metal is razor sharp. Worst part of a CRX.

I love your car BTW. I will always have a soft spot for second gen CRX Si's.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/5/13 9:23 p.m.

The odd thing is, I removed the assembly in my '89 Civic Si once and it wasn't so bad. That one was all levers and cables though.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
1/6/13 8:43 a.m.

I used to fix those regularly and resell them on Ebay. I finally stopped when the majority of the cores sent back to me became unusable. What worked best for me was simple plumbing glue used on plastic pipes. I also fabricated braces that reinforced the face and eliminated stress on the repaired area.

BTW, list price for a new one was $396 but they've been discontinued for a while.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/6/13 9:55 a.m.

I have apparently hit a crack in the ice...

This morning, I was as close as ever to committing the car to a season of ice racing. I ordered a set of GRM number panels, planned to mount the fire extinguisher bracket this afternoon and was moments away from ordering a set of Blizzaks.

Then I discovered that every AMEC race on this year's schedule conflicts with every indoor soccer game on my daughter's Winter schedule. I didn't think that I would ever get to this point, but I'm choosing kids over cars. I am old.

I suspect that Bravenrace will be pleased with the news...

petegossett
petegossett UltraDork
1/6/13 5:07 p.m.

BTW when you encounter a type of plastic that super glue won't adhere to, cut it with some baking soda and it will stick like magic!

Claff
Claff Reader
1/6/13 5:25 p.m.

The HVAC panel on my '88 was in pretty bad shape. When I took it out to try a repair the thing crumbled into a million pieces. Went looking for a replacement and found out there aren't any, and I figured even if I found one, it would probably disintegrate while trying to reinstall. Here's my inelegant solution:

I told the wife "pull the wires out for heat, push them in for no heat". She rolled her eyes and lives with it. The directional buttons all still work, which is fortunate. I'd be looking for a more permanent solution if the rest of the car was pristine, but since ours is a 230K+ mile rebuilt-title beater, this will probably be as good as it's going to get.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
1/6/13 6:57 p.m.
Woody wrote: I have apparently hit a crack in the ice... This morning, I was as close as ever to committing the car to a season of ice racing. I ordered a set of GRM number panels, planned to mount the fire extinguisher bracket this afternoon and was moments away from ordering a set of Blizzaks. Then I discovered that *every* AMEC race on this year's schedule conflicts with *every* indoor soccer game on my daughter's Winter schedule. I didn't think that I would ever get to this point, but I'm choosing kids over cars. I am old. I suspect that Bravenrace will be pleased with the news...

maybe im old as well, but i NEVER regret choosing my kids over the cars. NEVER.

we didnt get married and have kids to ignore our families.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/6/13 7:31 p.m.

I never implied that I regret having to choose.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/6/13 10:15 p.m.

Since I will not be racing it, and because it is presently the fourth car (carefully) parked in a three car garage, it will have to move on. Sadly, I have no place to keep the little gem for the long term.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-Honda-Civic-CRX-Si-Very-good-condition-No-Modifications-/281048042536?_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&forcev4exp=true

Photobucket

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
1/7/13 8:00 a.m.

Rotors aren't worth turning on these cars. Once you take the metal away, they warp even faster the next time, and like was said, the new ones are cheap. Check out this product for the trick to fixing the climate control cracks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130488947267?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
1/7/13 8:03 a.m.
Woody wrote: I suspect that Bravenrace will be pleased with the news...

You make it sound like I am unreasonable! But yes, I am pleased.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
1/7/13 8:04 a.m.
Woody wrote: Since I will not be racing it, and because it is presently the fourth car (carefully) parked in a three car garage, it will have to move on. Sadly, I have no place to keep the little gem for the long term. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-Honda-Civic-CRX-Si-Very-good-condition-No-Modifications-/281048042536?_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&forcev4exp=true

Sure you don't want to sell the 911 instead? I mean, it IS a CRX, you know?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
1/7/13 9:02 a.m.
bravenrace wrote:
Woody wrote: Since I will not be racing it, and because it is presently the fourth car (carefully) parked in a three car garage, it will have to move on. Sadly, I have no place to keep the little gem for the long term. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-Honda-Civic-CRX-Si-Very-good-condition-No-Modifications-/281048042536?_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&forcev4exp=true
Sure you don't want to sell the 911 instead? I mean, it IS the cleanest CRX most people under the age of 25 have ever seen, you know?

FTFY

Sorry to hear shes gotta go Woody. I am conflicted...both sad and happy that it is for sale so far away from me.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/7/13 9:29 a.m.

I've shipped cars a lot father than Ohio to happy new owners...

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/7/13 10:38 a.m.

Twelve hours into the auction and the car has already blown right past the reserve.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cyyBMy3Xx3L3ZquvcjSaPYrN9mWpf9ZWHmToBXjPcYlg5vUTuwINLUGkbHqasTXW