1 2 3
Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
12/14/13 12:14 p.m.

You might have seen, in another thread, that I picked this up a couple of weeks ago.

It's a 1988 Suzuki Samurai Tin Top. Rust free and fairly modified. It already has the 1.6L 8 valve engine, out of a Tracker/Sidekick, the SPOA conversion, 33" tires, and bed liner interior. It's amazingly capable as it sits.

In this thread, I'm going to be setting it up to be self sufficient, and capable of going camping just about anywhere.

For starters, it had no gauges other than fuel. I can't stand not having gauges. That was last weekend's project. Oil pressure and water temp for starters. I have a volt meter as well, but I think I'm going to use a large idiot light for it. If it looses the one belt I want to know it immediately.

mthomson22
mthomson22 SuperDork
12/14/13 12:18 p.m.

I'll be following this. I had a Cherokee that is was on the path of a similar build...but sadly never finished it.

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
12/14/13 12:19 p.m.

Next up was navigation. My Garmin Nuvi works pretty good on road, once you leave the pavement, not so much.

I wanted topographical mapping capabilities and a screen big enough to see some detail. Enter my Asus Transformer 10" tablet. A little research shows that BackCountry Navigator works well and has downloadable maps. Presto:

It takes up a lot of dash real estate, but it's worth it to me.

midniteson
midniteson Reader
12/14/13 12:20 p.m.

Awesome!

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
12/14/13 12:23 p.m.

Next up was a jack. It didn't have one and a little scissor jack just wasn't going to cut it. Enter the high lift farm jack. Standard equipment for the off road crowd.

It's bolted to the top racks for now. It will eventually go on the back with the spare tire and fuel cans.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
12/14/13 1:03 p.m.

Awesome...Samurais rock!

Bubs
Bubs Reader
12/14/13 2:34 p.m.

Living in New England, I hardly ever see these anymore - and probably never in as good condition as this one. Keep up the good work!

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
12/14/13 3:25 p.m.

Do you have a way to lock that jack to the rack? Just thinking, if not it sure is in danger of getting stolen. I've had two vehicles get burglarized resulting in a lost stereo system in one car, a slashed top, some snap-on tools, and a case of CDs in another one. Both times they were parked in my apartment parking lot in decent neighborhoods.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
12/14/13 5:33 p.m.

What years did those come with a fixed roof? I've never seen that except overseas.

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
12/14/13 7:11 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

It looks like they were available from 86-88 and dropped due to slow sales. No idea how many were produced. I had been keeping my eye out for one, off an on, for years. I never have liked convertibles.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
12/15/13 9:42 a.m.

In reply to Graefin10: Yes, easy to padlock if you need it.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
12/15/13 2:32 p.m.

How do you like the bed liner covered interior? Does it actually keep the noise down like a layer of carpet can?

carbon
carbon Reader
12/15/13 2:54 p.m.

I like that one a lot. hard top is awesome. Looks really clean.

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
12/15/13 3:45 p.m.

In reply to Nitroracer:

From a comfort standpoint it sucks. It does nothing for noise, heat, or cold. From a muddy shoe, water, cleaning out the slop standpoint, it's great!!

Mud all over your shoes? No problem, it will hose out.

Drive through water a little too deep? No problem, it will drain.

The bed liner gives you a little traction, and keeps everything from scratching the floor and transmission tunnel. I like it so far.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps HalfDork
12/15/13 4:10 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Love the Samurai. Will be watching this one

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
12/17/13 4:56 p.m.

Small update. No time or parts for major projects, so I did a couple of minor ones.

It is engine swapped, and modified so I figured these could be important.

Flash light and fire extinguisher. Very important!!

And so I can put it back together after I get the fire put out, tools.

For taking care of the odd snake or bush. I might move it though. The LEOs might have a problem with it mounted that close to the driver.

Getting everything in is going to be a study in spatial relations. It's going to be a tight squeeze.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
12/21/13 3:41 p.m.

Another update.

I wasn't very happy with the jack mounting, I also needed somewhere to mount a spare tire, and a jerry can for fuel. Today solved most of those problems.

The big empty space to the right of the fuel can is where the spare will go.

I didn't want to block the rear door either so the rack is hinged to swing out of the way.

It's not quite done. I still need to figure out the latches and spare tire mount.

More to come.

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
12/22/13 4:18 p.m.

Fuel can is strapped in.

Latch figured out. I ended up adding another post to the other side of the rack. It balanced things out.

Trail communications installed. Due to lack of dash space, I ended up mounting it on the roof. I even managed to get all the wiring hidden.

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
12/22/13 4:20 p.m.

Over all, I'm pretty happy with it.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/22/13 4:21 p.m.

liking the build. That back rack is great. Reminds me of the one I had on my early XJ that I added some features to, but yours looks less cumbersome.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/22/13 4:24 p.m.
Nitroracer wrote: How do you like the bed liner covered interior? Does it actually keep the noise down like a layer of carpet can?

As someone who had the interior of my old XJ bedliner'd, as well as the interior of my rally-x e30....I can say that it has no effect on noise or any sound-insulating properties at all that I can notice. I just did it for traction and so I could rinse out the interiors of both vehicles with a hose after treks/rallycrosses.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
12/22/13 6:42 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
Nitroracer wrote: How do you like the bed liner covered interior? Does it actually keep the noise down like a layer of carpet can?
As someone who had the interior of my old XJ bedliner'd, as well as the interior of my rally-x e30....I can say that it has no effect on noise or any sound-insulating properties at all that I can notice. I just did it for traction and so I could rinse out the interiors of both vehicles with a hose after treks/rallycrosses.

Thanks for the replies. I am looking to do this to my E30 as well, but I was hoping for a little sound barrier as well. The stock carpet is trashed and not worth saving, but I will still be driving to events for now and don't want to go deaf on the ride there.

Back to the awesome Tintop.

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
12/25/13 8:57 p.m.

Awesome Tin Top guy's awesome wife got me this for Christmas.

I had to bolt it up today, but I'll have to get it wired tomorrow.

bgkast
bgkast Dork
12/26/13 9:17 a.m.

Very cool, although I was hoping for a shotgun mount picture for the "For taking care of the odd snake or bush. I might move it though. The LEOs might have a problem with it mounted that close to the driver" Caption.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
12/26/13 12:46 p.m.

The only problem with bedliner interior is winter wheeling. Your feet will get VERY cold. Cut out a piece of square out of a rug/carpet for the snowy trips.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vVYgR8Zdth5PQNk3GZpq8IlMDSlyibQ2VPcR8ntqN5MhgKO2ux6QM7y0UIn0xbrx