1 2
timmyboy
timmyboy
5/19/21 11:52 p.m.

Greetings, 

Excited to see your progress! I have a 1990 Dodge d150 with a 3.9 v6 also. Have you come across and info or found out for yourself on how to convert the crossmember on your truck to have it accept v8 mounts in order to bolt a HEMI with a set of HEMI swap mounts? Just inquiring as I am planning this swap myself also but not sure about the crossmember and frame mounting points as of yet. Thanks man!

Timmy

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
5/20/21 1:41 a.m.
surfshibby07 said:

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

Idk, that 3.9 is absolutely pathetic. I wouldnt waste my time. Lol

There is always an answer.  One word, one syllable, sounds like a ghost sneezing.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
7/20/21 3:20 p.m.

In reply to timmyboy :

So i didnt have answer for you before, but i do now as i finally got my motor in the truck. So the 3.9 crossmember WILL work with no modifications. on the passenger side you will remove the stand that the motor mount bolts to and there is a hole with a locating dimple above or below it, not sure which, the motor mount on the hemi will bolt directly to the crossmember on the passenger side in this location. 

The driverside is a little different. you will need to find a bracket that is standard on the 5.2 v8 trucks. it will bolt to the kmember and frame using existing holes and require no modification. what happens is, this bracket moves the mounting location about 6 inches forward and in line with the mount on the passenger side. the motor mount on the driverside will bolt to this newlwy installed plate. 

Below is the video from when i installed my motor and you can see what the plate looks like and the difference between it, and the one that came off the 3.9. Hopefully this helps. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
7/26/21 10:39 a.m.

so update. motor is in as you can see above. i modified the frame a little to clear the stock exhaust manifold on the driver side. hoping to get the TR6060 mounted this week and the driveshaft installed. then the remaining things are the fuel pump install and the fuel lines ran to the newly mounted regulator. still waiting on the alternator relocation bracket from holley. I will install the intake manifold and start running all the wiring from the holley. then i drop it off to my buddies shop for all the wiring to be cleaned up and tied into the existing harness for things to work like ignition with the key, fuel pump and lights. 

JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
7/26/21 12:42 p.m.

I'm glad to see some progress on this build. I'd like a Hemi and TR6060 in my truck some day, so it's good to see it actually being done. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
7/26/21 1:27 p.m.

In reply to JeremyJ :

i am glad to provide the entertainment! lol. i look forward to it running in a month or so!

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
1/4/22 2:24 p.m.

i laugh when i look back and say i wanted it running in a month or so lol. Well update time. as of last week i got the TR6060 installed and mounted using the holley/hooker blackheart trans crossmember. 

It installed relatively easy and all i had to do was drill 1 hole through the frame rail that was not there. besides that it went really smooth. now that is done what is left is to get the new pump installed and put the tank back in. run my last 2 fuel lines and put the accessories back on the engine. get my driveshaft lengthened about 8 inches. put the holley harness and computer in the truck and get it all plugged back in and then hope tuning does not require too many changes as i put a cam in it since the last time it ran.

timmyboy
timmyboy New Reader
1/8/22 4:23 p.m.

In reply to surfshibby07 :

May I ask what you did for the fuel system? I know Holley makes a fuel pump module for these trucks but its  for  1991-1998 trucks. Not sure if that makes a difference as your truck nad mine are the same yera I believe (1990)

Bouchillon Performance says they will modify my exisiting module and oump a higher psi pump in there as long as I send it in to them, but I dont really want to unless it deems  necessary. Thanks again for the videos and posts!

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
1/8/22 9:09 p.m.

In reply to timmyboy :

I havent gotten thag far yet. I think the 90s and later have a a different style pump. I want to get my hands on a 91 tank and pump to verify that mine is different. But i planned to just put a 255 walbro in it and use the stock feed and return lines. Was just going to go 6an to the regulator and rail and 6an return with fittings that clip jnto the stock lines to allow a 6an barb. 

timmyboy
timmyboy New Reader
1/9/22 7:07 p.m.

Good call. Keep us posted please, and thanks for the response.

From what I understand, the `91 tank looks identical to the `90 except the ring on top keeping the module screwed/clamped down. If that`s the case, the `91 will be better because it is screwed instead of clamped down from `90. A nice little upgrade if possible and the fitment is there.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
1/10/22 10:48 a.m.

if i could find a 91 tank i would be more than willing to swap them just for the ease of install with the upgraded hat that is available. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
4/27/23 1:54 p.m.

Its been a while since ive been on the forums. But this thing runs and drives now. Its a mess, but it works. Still need to iron out some issues. Like my ignition tumbler breaking a few days ago and a weird amp draw from the holley with key on power, but its almost done. 

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
4/27/23 9:50 p.m.

I swear this is the most amazing two post lift shot I have ever seen...I can't even wrap my head around this execution.....too many questions on my part

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yBWrq4fSwMu4Pp5HlFhJqn1tFgVPzPvTcywRnX6gxb1ZoH09dax8BMbs1cFROoBJ