KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
2/25/19 8:17 a.m.
Challenger392 said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

He doenst need to worry just yet, im sure there will be some teething to overcome. 

I just yesterday saw the new Super Chicken thread that Luke started.    Going to need to get those scales to you somehow Luke. 

Usually the best way to put off a competitor for a season or two is to have them get a new car. :-)  I've said it before and I will stay it again. Luke will be King of the Hill someday.  Having a proven record setting car will probably make it happen faster (barring crashes which are always a worry).

Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer Reader
2/25/19 8:28 p.m.
KevinGale said:

It's been a quiet winter on the car so far but things are starting to happen. 

The first thing to happen is this.  The lift works!

Very nice!

And next... an enclosed trailer.

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
2/26/19 8:07 a.m.

In reply to Rabbit Farmer :

I have mixed feelings about the enclosed trailer.  It makes a lot of practical sense.  The main problem is I really like that people can see the car.   It leads to all sorts of interesting conversations at gas stations for instance.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
2/26/19 8:48 a.m.

The open trailer promotes our sport. In this time of declining interest, especially from the young and impressionable kids I think we need far more open trailers! So long as one team in the paddock has an enclosed you can escape the rain.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/26/19 8:29 p.m.

KG.....I'm curious, has Luke (akaC392) actually found the holy grail of NE hill climb superiority.....or is he looking at another half/full season of 'THRASH' ????  

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
2/27/19 1:51 p.m.
759NRNG said:

KG.....I'm curious, has Luke (akaC392) actually found the holy grail of NE hill climb superiority.....or is he looking at another half/full season of 'THRASH' ????  

Hard to say.  On one hand he is buying a proven car.  We know the car is fast.   But it's a new engine and transmission. That alone usually requires some sorting out. Probably the bigger factor is the fact that the car is new to Luke and much different from his previous car.  

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/27/19 8:03 p.m.

KG, you on the other hand are quote 'good to go' for this upcoming season? 

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
2/28/19 11:13 a.m.

Never fear, the mod is 4 takeoffs, an oil change, and a new intake gasket away from being ready to go, you know, just in case. 

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
2/28/19 2:44 p.m.
759NRNG said:

KG, you on the other hand are quote 'good to go' for this upcoming season? 

I'm about to start tearing my car completely apart.  Down to a bare chassis. Then I will paint the chassis and reassemble replacing stuff that needs replacing.  I will also be replacing the current oil pan with a new one that moves the dry sump lines to the other side of the car.

If I have time I also want to fabricate skid plates and change how the rear suspension is mounted.

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
2/28/19 2:44 p.m.
Challenger392 said:

Never fear, the mod is 4 takeoffs, an oil change, and a new intake gasket away from being ready to go, you know, just in case. 

Good to know.

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
2/28/19 2:50 p.m.

I'm being lazy. I could have already started taking the car apart but first I was waiting until I had the lift working and now I am waiting for this to arrive.

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
3/17/19 12:21 p.m.

The teardown in progress

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
3/17/19 12:22 p.m.

I also have some new toys to help.  I'm really looking forward to removing and installing the transmission now instead of dreading it.

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
3/17/19 1:36 p.m.

My Mod needs a full tear down and re-paint, maybe next winter....

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
3/17/19 4:48 p.m.

In reply to Challenger392 :

It's a lot of work and I'll probably regret it shortly when I have to put it all together again.

But I've already found a bent heim and lots of corroded fasteners.  And of course lots of stuff that needs a coat of paint.  

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
3/17/19 4:49 p.m.

The transmission jack works.  Nice not to do this job on my back for the first time.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
3/17/19 8:09 p.m.
KevinGale said:

The transmission jack works.  Nice not to do this job on my back for the first time.

This shot right here is nirvana to me in so many ways thank you KG.....good Luck!!!

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
3/25/19 9:22 a.m.

I pretty much finished the tear down this weekend. Just the rear end left to remove and that's only a few bolts and some wrestling to get it out.

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
4/1/19 8:39 p.m.

The disassembly continues.    But there has been some more progress since this picture. I spend most of a day cleaning off all the oil, grease and dirt (usually a combination of the three) off the chassis.   It was a very long very dirty job.  The lift helped but I was still cleaning stuff over my head and so not only did I have oil, grease and dirt but added to that was a nice mixture of the degreaser I was using.  Fun times.

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
4/1/19 8:48 p.m.

I'm going to be replacing a few rod ends.  The tricky part is getting the rod back to the same length with the new rod ends.  I saw a tool for this but it was about $100 and that seemed way too much. So I bought a three foot threaded rod (1/2-20).  I welded a tab to the center. (You can't see it but that is what is holding it in the vise.)  Then I welded a couple small bolts to half inch nuts.  Add in some wing nuts to use as jam nuts and I can get measure the length of the rod to within 1/20th of an inch. Take it apart put on new rod ends and adjust until it is the same length.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
4/1/19 11:06 p.m.

In reply to KevinGale :

Frame cleaning on a lift at home makes me love the coin operated car wash 2 miles away from me. Load the chassis on the trailer and bring lots of quarterslaugh

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
4/2/19 8:20 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to KevinGale :

Frame cleaning on a lift at home makes me love the coin operated car wash 2 miles away from me. Load the chassis on the trailer and bring lots of quarterslaugh

Yeah, that might have been a better plan.  

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
4/8/19 8:24 a.m.

Progress is being made.  I spend all weekend washing parts, cataloging what I need to buy and a bit of reassembly of components.   Mostly it was long hours in front of the parts washer cleaning dirty stuff.  The dry sump oil leak I had made it all much worse than I expected.  Just light coat of oil and dirt on lots of stuff.

I did find time to hang my picture from Washington.  I bought the print on canvas from the photographer who took it.  I like the shot.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
4/8/19 10:22 a.m.

Yeah. That's a really nice picture.

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
4/9/19 2:54 p.m.

In reply to ShawneeCreek :

It does capture some of what Washington is like. Seeing just sky behind the car is accurate. At times if I had the time to look I'd see that one side of the road is just a drop off with lots and lots of air!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6xUR3Br1TLmQOPoIEVksip4eSberZ0o6gkwoJXvbKPn3oIy1DWdBikB2AG2ggQe2