37 38 39
frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
8/15/19 3:42 p.m.

In reply to KevinGale :

Mine I traded the labor it took to swap that transmission for a traditional synchro 4 speed.  The owner could not get used to shifting without using the clutch. And if you use a clutch on a dog ring gear box you quickly ruin the gears. 

But at the time is was about $3200-3600 plus spare change gears.  Since he ruined 3 sets in a weekend and twice I went out in the car after changing the gears and found it shifted beautifully. He accepted that the gearbox was fine, he just couldn’t  change a lifetime habit. 

I see them once in a while on racing Junk. Not a whole lot of depreciation. 

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
8/16/19 9:42 a.m.

Yes I have made that clutch mistake.  I was initially worried with the Jerico that habit would be a problem but so far not so much.  I haven't made the mistake of using the clutch in a quite a while.   I do sometime still do it at really slow speeds like when I am driving around not racing. But then I just shift very slowly  and it works without lots of noise.

I have also made the mistake a few times while racing of not shifting aggressively enough. The Jerico is really really happy when you shift hard and fast like you are trying to break something.  If you accidently try to do a gentle shift it gets very upset and lets you know but the loud banging sounds and the nasty vibrations you can feel in the stick. 

Its a sadomasochistic tranmission.  Hurt me please!

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
8/16/19 6:33 p.m.

In reply to KevinGale :

Hit me, beat me, shift without the clutch!  I love it!  

I went through 12 years and the gears still look new. He drove one weekend and totally destroyed  three sets of gears. 

I cant imagine Jericho gears are any cheaper than Hewland or  Seinz. 

Racing Jaguars teaches you to be gentle, delicate even if you don’t want to be rebuilding  engines and stuff after every event.  Then you get a gearbox that forces the most abusive shifting imaginable and the dichotomy of the two really warps your mind.  

Wheel to wheel racing means if you are going to take advantage of any little edge you have you have to be hyper aggressive at the start and in every single corner.  You put yourself in really tight spots  with no room for error or contact because any body contact can get you a 13 month ban AND! A 13 month suspension!   

Then you have a engine designed during WW2 with a stroke right out of the 1880’s steam engines that will punish you if you rev it over 5500 rpm but a gearbox that absolutely demands brutal no clutch shifting.  Skinny little tires barely wider than a motorcycles and 150 mph corners that force you tip toe just slightly past the edge of control.  

I LOVE IT!  

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
9/1/19 12:31 p.m.

Just realized I never posted a Burke II update.   Not a bad event overall.  The car seems to be running good. I finished second in FL behind Paul.  Sherman went off and did some damage to his car but nothing he can't fix.   First time he has been off in many years.   I was fighting traction issues. My tires are going away.  The plan is new tires before the final event this year (Ascutney).  My main problem was issues with the new shifter on Sunday.  I couldn't get the car to go into 4th gear on the final run.  So I just ran the hill in 3rd with a lot of running of the rev limiter.   My first guess is I didn't get something tight and the linkage or shifter mount moved.   Working on that today. 

Loading the car I also noticed a strange steering clunk and movement.  Today I figured out the steering rack bolts are loose.   At least that is an easy fix.  

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
9/14/19 9:55 a.m.

New rubber for long course Ascutney!

37 38 39
Our Preferred Partners
nwt8GOxbnu173ePKUkNteLujuZWfJWDNhSq5Bs62HsJ1CLsS45tScHebnHZopvrC