Nick Venero
Nick Venero New Reader
7/20/20 9:35 p.m.

Kevin,

My thoughts are with you. Getting laid off is awful. I had it happen twice early in my career. It messes with your head as well as your wallet. Keep your head up and your options open. I made a huge change in what I was doing after being laid off and it was great for my mental health as well as letting me reset and learn new skills. 
You are obviously a smart problem solver and that is a valuable skill!

Good luck in the search and thank you for 42 pages (so far) of great entertainment!

Regards,

Nick

Trigger99
Trigger99 New Reader
7/21/20 10:24 a.m.

In reply to KevinGale :

I'M sorry to hear that about the job hunting. The computer world changes so fast its almost a disadvantage to be with a company for a long time unless they're constantly sending you to classes. Hope you get something soon. The New England economy hasn't been very good before all this virus stuff.

I wish i had gotten a lift years ago . Cost was what kept me from jumping on one until i saw your post and realized how affordable they are now. The ceilings in my shop are 14 feet plenty of room. 

Thanks for the info on the gauge and the dry sump. Have you figured out if there's a problem or not ? 

Sept. Ascutney would be a perfect time for me to try to catch one of your races.smiley That's right in the middle of the time I plan to be home. I'll definitely check out the website and keep track of the cancelations. Are you still going to race if it's not canceled ?  

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
7/22/20 10:57 a.m.
Trigger99 said:

In reply to KevinGale :

I'M sorry to hear that about the job hunting. The computer world changes so fast its almost a disadvantage to be with a company for a long time unless they're constantly sending you to classes. Hope you get something soon. The New England economy hasn't been very good before all this virus stuff.

Yes working on the same product for 32 years isn't the path that is helpful in finding a new job.

I wish i had gotten a lift years ago . Cost was what kept me from jumping on one until i saw your post and realized how affordable they are now. The ceilings in my shop are 14 feet plenty of room. 

Quite affordable in the overall scheme of things and sometimes used lifts are available even cheaper.

Thanks for the info on the gauge and the dry sump. Have you figured out if there's a problem or not ? 

I won't know until I can fire up the car.  I haven't got everything connected and it will be the first time firing it up after a rebuild, so I want to do it right.  Since all our events have been canceled until this point I haven't had any rush.

Sept. Ascutney would be a perfect time for me to try to catch one of your races.smiley That's right in the middle of the time I plan to be home. I'll definitely check out the website and keep track of the cancelations. Are you still going to race if it's not canceled ?  

The next Burke event was just canceled. So Sept Ascutney is the only race left on the calendar that hasn't been canceled.  If they have the event I will be there (car or no car) since I have a streak to maintain. I have attended every NEHA event since 1994. 

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
7/25/20 12:01 p.m.

Got a little more work done on the race car but today I'm using the lift to change the oil in my daughter's Chevy Spark.  I have twin daughters who have twin Sparks.   Not much of a strain on the lift as these are small.  I did do some painting of frame patch on of the race car while it was outside.

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
8/25/20 4:37 p.m.

The last event of the year (Ascutney) was canceled so no hillclimbs this year at all.   Still have a rebuilt motor waiting to be used.  In the mean time I am using the garage to repair bicycles we have been riding everyday.  Kelly and I got in nearly 200 miles on them last week.   Replacing spokes on a wheel here after a branch went through the wheel and broke some spokes.  I even applied for a job as a bike mechanic but they wanted someone with experience.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
8/25/20 4:55 p.m.

I would be in here making excuses to be in there.....kinda like tractor 'seat time'

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
3/24/21 2:48 p.m.

Long time no update!

It's been a while.   NEHA didn't have any events last year but this year is looks like something will happen.   I also have other good news. As of this week I have a job again.  So now I will have money to spend on the car but of course no time instead of having lots of time but no money (or motivation with no events).

759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
3/24/21 4:07 p.m.

Congratulations!!!!!  I too have secured employment after being without since June of last year.....except I'll be eleven hours from the house..... 

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
3/25/21 9:06 a.m.
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) said:

Congratulations!!!!!  I too have secured employment after being without since June of last year.....except I'll be eleven hours from the house..... 

Eleven hours?   That doesn't sound like fun.  I'm extremely lucky to once again be working from home.

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
4/3/21 12:11 p.m.

Fitting new headers today.   Two photos to document the part numbers from Beyea Headers.  I first ordered the wrong number on the left side so I don't want to make that mistake again if I ever have to order them again.

Left side - That CF at the end for "Cab Forward" was the missing part when I first ordered these.

Right side

And here is what they look like

4/3/21 4:16 p.m.

How much 'tweaking' will there have to be done to these when you install the mufflers/brackets?

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
4/4/21 2:47 p.m.

How much 'tweaking' will there have to be done to these when you install the mufflers/brackets?

A fair amount.  I ordered new mufflers yesterday and some 3" tube.   I will have to do some welding or flanges and mounts to the nerf bars. 

These are the mufflers I am going with this time.

They are Flowmaster Pro Series Laminar Flow. Holly (who owns Flowmaster) says

Laminar Flow mufflers use a newer technology that combines traits of both Chambered and Absorption style mufflers. They have a sound that is similar to a deep sounding absorption style muffler, while using sound cancelling technology that is similar to the chambered mufflers. These mufflers have a heat absorption material inside that keeps the exterior much cooler than other mufflers and are great for tight space applications.    

https://www.holley.com/products/exhaust/mufflers/race_mufflers/pro_series/parts/13016101

Previously I have used Flowmaster Delta 40 mufflers.  These should be a little quieter.  Most of our hills operate under a DB limit and I've been pretty sure for years that I have been over it.  I think people like me and are just giving me a break but if I can make the car a little quieter without losing much (if any) power I should and I think these mufflers will do it for me.

4/4/21 6:51 p.m.
KevinGale said:

A fair amount.  I ordered new mufflers yesterday and some 3" tube.   I will have to do some welding or flanges and mounts to the nerf bars. 

These are the mufflers I am going with this time.

They are Flowmaster Pro Series Laminar Flow. Holly (who owns Flowmaster) says

Laminar Flow mufflers use a newer technology that combines traits of both Chambered and Absorption style mufflers. They have a sound that is similar to a deep sounding absorption style muffler, while using sound cancelling technology that is similar to the chambered mufflers. These mufflers have a heat absorption material inside that keeps the exterior much cooler than other mufflers and are great for tight space applications.    

https://www.holley.com/products/exhaust/mufflers/race_mufflers/pro_series/parts/13016101

Previously I have used Flowmaster Delta 40 mufflers.  These should be a little quieter.  Most of our hills operate under a DB limit and I've been pretty sure for years that I have been over it.  I think people like me and are just giving me a break but if I can make the car a little quieter without losing much (if any) power I should and I think these mufflers will do it for me.

I kinda thought that  you'd have to do some massaging looking at the collector angle/dangle.....KG I'd run these cans on my CTS-V......wink!!!!

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
4/5/21 7:21 a.m.
I'd run these cans on my CTS-V......wink!!!!

Sure just hang them out the back.  It should keep people off your bumper.

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
4/5/21 9:07 a.m.

Apparently because I started working on my car again :-(   I just got word that the first event of the year has been canceled.  So no Philo this year.  It's a COVID-19 thing.    The next event (Ascutney) is only a couple weeks later so that doesn't bode well.

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
4/5/21 9:15 a.m.

Helmet saga.   Our rules updated and my SA2010 helmet is no longer valid.  I wanted it replace it with the newer model but I was seeing strange things when I went to order it.    Summit said that it wouldn't be available until June.  I couldn't find anyplace that had one in stock in a large size.   Speedway Motors said it was backordered and Jegs said it would ship from the manufacturer in a few days.   This all made me skeptical. I was pretty sure that if I ordered it from Jegs they would send the order to Impact and there it would sit for who knows how long.  So this morning I called Impact.  Sure enough they are not making Large size (and up) SA2020 helmets yet and they are not sure when it will happen.  Not sure what I am doing yet about this.

Impact 1320 Top Air

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
4/5/21 11:12 a.m.

Good to see your back amount the employed!! I just ordered my new helmet. It's a Zamp, I had trouble finding one in medium.  Ended up getting one from Summit, I was worried it would take too long but it shipped a few days after I ordered it. Bummer about philo, I'd really like to get as much seat time as possible before Washington. As for the mufflers, my favorite ones have turbines in them, come over to the dark side.

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
4/5/21 12:28 p.m.
Challenger392 said:

Good to see your back amount the employed!! I just ordered my new helmet. It's a Zamp, I had trouble finding one in medium.  Ended up getting one from Summit, I was worried it would take too long but it shipped a few days after I ordered it. Bummer about philo, I'd really like to get as much seat time as possible before Washington. As for the mufflers, my favorite ones have turbines in them, come over to the dark side.

First I need to convert to fuel injection. Then we can talk about twin turbos.  (Talk is cheap!)   

At the rate things are going it will be getting close to two years without any seat time.   I hope it is like riding a bike and it comes back to me. :-)

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
4/5/21 9:59 p.m.

Another vote for Zamp. I've liked mine a lot over the past 6 years. 

Also good to see you back in the game (employment and hillclimb)

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
4/7/21 12:54 p.m.

Just got word the June Okemo even has been canceled.  So right now the only event before Mt Washington is spring Ascutney and my guess is it will be canceled too.   But no announcement on spring Ascutney yet. 

Luke (and I and everyone else) wanted more seat time before Mt Washington and right now it is looking like there might not be any.  There also hasn't been any official announcement for Mt Washington.  

Covid-19 hard at work killing another racing season.  sad

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
4/7/21 1:21 p.m.
KevinGale said:
Challenger392 said:

First I need to convert to fuel injection. Then we can talk about twin turbos.  (Talk is cheap!)   

At the rate things are going it will be getting close to two years without any seat time.   I hope it is like riding a bike and it comes back to me. :-). Oh, and less noise. 

With the popularity of the small block and the number of fuel injected (EFI ) small blocks.  That is a pretty safe ( easy ) engine to turbo.    
    Don't try for silly power numbers.  20% improvement is not only easily do-able, but safe.  
Plus it will yield real world improvement in  Your time.  If you jet your carb perfectly at the bottom of a hill  you will be too rich at the top and unless you are sitting there with an air density meter moments before the start you won't be jetted perfectly.  (EFI does that for you automatically) 
     Keeping boost down to 6-8psi*  will actually be easier on your engine than your carb is. 
 *That's not something you adjust while racing you set that in the garage. And with 6-8 psi you will be "on boost" just slightly above idle.  So it will drive like your car normally does only with 20% more oooomph ! 
Budget wise you can probably sell your carb and manifold for what a junkyard EFI & turbo will cost. 

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
4/11/21 7:01 p.m.

Didn't get a lot of time on the car this weekend but I did get one side of the exhaust mostly done.

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
4/18/21 3:25 p.m.

Got the other side done today.  I still suck at welding thin tubing. :-)  But it's together with little tabs bolting the mufflers to the nerf bars.  

Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer Reader
4/22/21 9:04 p.m.

Ready for Ascutney #1?  :)

Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer Reader
4/22/21 9:07 p.m.
frenchyd said:

With the popularity of the small block and the number of fuel injected (EFI ) small blocks.  That is a pretty safe ( easy ) engine to turbo.    

We don't need Kevin's car on boost... he is already kicking our butts enough.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y8Xbrt8dEXPR3F72o9PFgmHHwRuy1VWr3OGnFzEVPBctdf7w7kww7bG4xNlGXAsf