5 6 7 8 9
KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
7/24/14 5:08 p.m.

Just found this little clip someone posted of me going by on the top part of Washington

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRX_kTHYpsA&list=PLu5zWhYP7hR2wSytCc2d1_FQEZj-https://www.youtube.com/embed/DRX_kTHYpsA?list=PLu5zWhYP7hR2wSytCc2d1_FQEZj-W6UMH

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
7/24/14 6:27 p.m.

Just got sent this. This is grooving tires at Mt Washington with Sherman Baumann. Washington has 1 mile of dirt so a few grooves are a good idea. It's also a rain or shine event so few grooves aren't a bad idea for that reason as well but we had perfect weather.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
7/25/14 4:13 p.m.

My android smart phone today helpfully informed me that my estimated time to work was 23 minutes via Rt 114. The problem with this is I work from home. So I checked to see where it thinks I work. Apparently I've been going to the hardware store too much buying hardware for the race car because it thinks I work at my favorite hardware store. Edmunds in Henniker, NH. I wonder if I can get an employee discount.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
7/27/14 4:39 p.m.

If you want to make it into the videos you just need to crash apparently. I do like the shot on cragway with the back end hung out and the steering at full opposite lock. And there is a great shot of my car launching. You can see the tread pattern appear in the black marks I'm making.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/tQ6p3iAhqKs

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
7/27/14 6:34 p.m.
KevinGale wrote: If you want to make it into the videos you just need to crash apparently. I do like the shot on cragway with the back end hung out and the steering at full opposite lock. And there is a great shot of my car launching. You can see the tread pattern appear in the black marks I'm making. FYR - Behind the Rally

Nice! How's the car?

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
7/27/14 7:50 p.m.

In reply to Petrolburner:

This was about a month ago. You can see some of the damage earlier in this build thread. The car wasn't hurt too bad. I had it back together racing two weeks later.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Reader
7/27/14 10:13 p.m.
KevinGale wrote: My android smart phone today helpfully informed me that my estimated time to work was 23 minutes via Rt 114. The problem with this is I work from home. So I checked to see where it thinks I work. Apparently I've been going to the hardware store too much buying hardware for the race car because it thinks I work at my favorite hardware store. Edmunds in Henniker, NH. I wonder if I can get an employee discount.

Nice, you should show them your phone and see if you can get a laugh- I've successfully gotten a few discounts this way.

I love the videos- I'm slowing working up to trying some hillclimbs myself.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UberDork
7/28/14 11:37 a.m.

hahaha cool video

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
8/4/14 12:40 p.m.

Had a great weekend at the Mt Okemo II hillclimb.  I was even lucky enough to win the event.

At least I felt lucky then someone reminded me that we make a lot of our own luck. They were right. In one sense winning the event has a lot more to do with all the hard work getting the car back together after the crash and making it to the event. We have lots and lots of people who for one reason or another just never get their car together to make it to an event.

I was once told an Richard Petty story. I have no idea if it is a true story but it is still worth telling. And I'm paraphrasing but you will get the idea. Supposedly late in the race Richard was running second. The car in first was just driving away and it was clear that no one was going to catch him. But then car in the lead had some mechanical problem and suddenly Richard is in the lead and wins the race. In the post race interview someone says to Richard "You sure got lucky with that win" Richard says "Luck had nothing to do with my being in second place at that point. It was all hard work!"      You can't take advantage of any luck you get without a lot of hard work.

Here is a shot of my car lined up with another mod owned by my friend Art Heath.

Okemo Results

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
8/12/14 12:58 p.m.

Finally found time to do a quick edit on the Okemo II in car. It looks pretty much like every in car. lol Might be easier if I just repost old videos and change the date.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/oPHs68ERC4o

As I say in the video this isn't one of my better efforts at Okemo. Gotta figure out what is causing the banging noise in the video. Funny thing is I didn't hear it in the car but the video picks it up loud and clear. Other people heard it just not me.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
8/17/14 3:19 p.m.

I found the banging noise. Teeth broken off in the rear end.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
8/17/14 3:22 p.m.

Yuck.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
8/17/14 8:03 p.m.

It gets worse I broke the pinion bearing housing in the center section. There should be aluminum all around that bearing. A piece of it is below.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
8/17/14 8:14 p.m.

I've had people ask me what diff I run in the car. I've always had to say I really don't know. When I bought the car I was told it was a spool in the rear end. I wasn't worried because I had a Speedway Motors gear style limited slip diff. But when I got the car home and up on jackstands it became obvious it didn't in fact have a spool and that it almost certainly had some gear style limited slip. So I never opened up the read end until now. The diff works great. Here is are pictures of it and I still don't know who made it. No manufacturers name. The numbers are P F109 but that doesn't bring up anything in google. It kinda looks like a TrueTrac but not exactly. But then this is probably an older model.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
8/17/14 9:21 p.m.

Way back when "Franklin" was the preferred diff for modifieds. Maybe the folks at Troyer could help with identification? EDIT: Double Yuck

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
8/18/14 10:17 a.m.

I had a Franklin in the old mod. I think Rusty Ball still has that center section. I wonder if they are interchangeable. I'll have to ask when I talk to him. Hopefully tonight.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
8/21/14 10:13 p.m.

Rusty Ball came through. Got home from picking up the rear end and hour ago and it is now sitting in the car. I'll finish connecting it all up tomorrow morning and I should make Burke. And I can't even complain too much about the rear end breaking. I think I broke it at Washington and it lived through two more events.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
8/22/14 1:18 p.m.

Rear end is back in the car, full of gear oil and the 5.04 Burke Mountain gears are installed. Just need to load the car and pack. Going to be late getting to the NEHA Burke event but I will be there.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
8/23/14 4:48 p.m.

I'm at the Burke event but it's not a good day when you have parts of the motor in a little cup.

A valve lock is missing and the valve must have hit the piston because it doesn't move. I was 6th fastest at lunch with my 7 cylinder run. Car is on the trailer now.

I have more work to do. What a season this is turning out to be. I can't afford to miss another event or I won't have any chance in the King of the Hill points race.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
8/24/14 12:09 p.m.

I posted the airbourne pic, and link to this thread on a FB group for "Retired Race Cars" yesterday. Got 111 likes so far.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
8/24/14 12:13 p.m.

Make that 115.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
8/25/14 2:00 p.m.

I saw it. I'm a member of that group. I was like "Hey that is my car!"

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
8/25/14 2:37 p.m.

LOL Kevin. Seems that your car is very popular.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
8/26/14 2:23 p.m.

I think it is just the outrageousness of racing a circle track car up mountains. Combined with the cartoon like quality that is a modified. I mean no one looks at one of these and mistakes it for any type of street car. It just screams "I'm a bad ass race car. Don't get too close, I bite!"

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
8/28/14 8:55 p.m.

Pulled the head off. Definitely had some valve to piston contact.

5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nYJOBuQRLGLc19gDHqYVi1E52KRWAGvFB8didkf8smF9CgUMewidNEHDVi7TQyJW