4 5 6
wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
12/4/15 6:27 p.m.

if it's like most Civics you'll probably find that you don't need quite that much neg camber in the rear ... (front, sure, actually that's how much front neg camber I'm running ... -1 1/2° in the rear)

and you're right, the other 2 cars are probably quicker, but in class the Civic can be a blast

walter, who's autoX'ed a CRX for 7 - 8 yrs and an Integra prior to that

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
12/5/15 9:20 a.m.

The Civic is fun. It's certainly a ball on track. I still need to get used to it at AX. I now autocross a high HP RWD, a mid HP rear engine, and a low HP FWD, is it any wonder I'm so consistently mediocre? I do have fun though.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
4/5/16 7:16 p.m.

Well, update time I suppose.
The car has needed nothing except an occasional jump start if I didn't drive it for a while.
I had the RE71R's mounted and started the autocross season. The car is fast and easy to drive. In the last event I was 28 (PAX and raw time) out of 196 drivers. My co driver set the 7th fastest raw time and 5th in PAX. I'm doing well in points and can beat all of the regulars in STS so.....I sold the car.
This is the new owner and I driving it last weekend with the Texas A&M Sports Car Club. He's a younger guy who is excited about autocross. Really excited. Jumping up and down excited. I think he has autocross planned for six out of the next seven weekends. He's planning on taking the car to the Solo National Championships in Lincoln. He's looking for his first track day. He is exactly the kind of owner this car should have.
In the year since I bought the car, a couple of things have happened. The biggest one is that Deucekid#2 started rallycrossing with me in the kart. After the last two events he has taken fun runs in a friends car. If I had a car he could drive we would be working on getting him ready to compete in it. No, the RX7 isn't that car, and neither is this Civic. In fact, out of the eight cars I own, none of them are really proper for teaching my kids to drive, and I'm less than a year out from Deucekid#1 getting her permit and learning in earnest.
Added to teaching my kids, I'm also instructing autocross. All. The. Time. I've become responsible for giving the rookie walk through when the regular rookie chief is out of town. I talk to new and new-ish people all event and I have a VERY hard time shutting that off so I can concentrate on driving myself. In fact I find myself enjoying the Porsche Club events more than SCCA because nothing is really expected of me as a driver, just as a helper, and I enjoy that role.
So I'm back in the Cadillac as an autocross car. I've encouraged the new owner to join the board and add to this thread as he changes and uses the car. Hopefully I can bother him until he does.

DDT
DDT New Reader
4/5/16 7:51 p.m.

Ha, i almost offered to buy this car last month. Sounds like it went to a good home though. Also, do you still race with SASCA and Spokes? I keep meaning to do a rallycross at BCR, but haven't made it out there in months.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
4/5/16 7:59 p.m.

I don't race with SPOKES or SASCA, but I know the old owner did both and the new owner is going to do at least some SPOKES events.
As well as the regular events at BCR we're holding SCCA Rally Trials and an associated Rallycross at Rally Ready Driving School in Austin May 6-7. Registration for them isn't open yet, but if you have the time you should at least come out. We're going to have fun.

spacecadet
spacecadet New Reader
4/7/16 10:52 a.m.

I promise the car has gone to a new loving home. I am looking forward to taking her out for SCCA this weekend.

For now it's sitting in ricer mode on steelies, with the RE71's enjoying some time inside in the AC.

Since I do have multiple sets of tires and the car gets great mileage it will be getting around as much as I can.

my next 8 weeks are pretty packed for autox

HOU-SCCA

HOU-BMWCCA

TAMSCC

SPOKES

HOU-SCCA

HOU-BMW

N/A

LSR-PCA

Once we hit June things start to slow down a bit as I cannot make Pro Solo or the Tour in College Station.

I'm hoping I can capture our local STS championship for 2016 but we shall see if my speed from last weekend continues.

Next planned mod for the car is visual. I have already removed the Honda Performance stickers and will probably mount them on vinyl in the future.

I have a cool vehicle theme in mind, but its evolving each day.

mazdeuce wrote: Well, update time I suppose. The car has needed nothing except an occasional jump start if I didn't drive it for a while. I had the RE71R's mounted and started the autocross season. The car is fast and easy to drive. In the last event I was 28 (PAX and raw time) out of 196 drivers. My co driver set the 7th fastest raw time and 5th in PAX. I'm doing well in points and can beat all of the regulars in STS so.....I sold the car. This is the new owner and I driving it last weekend with the Texas A&M Sports Car Club. He's a younger guy who is excited about autocross. Really excited. Jumping up and down excited. I think he has autocross planned for six out of the next seven weekends. He's planning on taking the car to the Solo National Championships in Lincoln. He's looking for his first track day. He is exactly the kind of owner this car should have. In the year since I bought the car, a couple of things have happened. The biggest one is that Deucekid#2 started rallycrossing with me in the kart. After the last two events he has taken fun runs in a friends car. If I had a car he could drive we would be working on getting him ready to compete in it. No, the RX7 isn't that car, and neither is this Civic. In fact, out of the eight cars I own, none of them are really proper for teaching my kids to drive, and I'm less than a year out from Deucekid#1 getting her permit and learning in earnest. Added to teaching my kids, I'm also instructing autocross. All. The. Time. I've become responsible for giving the rookie walk through when the regular rookie chief is out of town. I talk to new and new-ish people all event and I have a VERY hard time shutting that off so I can concentrate on driving myself. In fact I find myself enjoying the Porsche Club events more than SCCA because nothing is really expected of me as a driver, just as a helper, and I enjoy that role. So I'm back in the Cadillac as an autocross car. I've encouraged the new owner to join the board and add to this thread as he changes and uses the car. Hopefully I can bother him until he does.
mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
4/7/16 3:36 p.m.

So that's the new owner. He really is one of us. His enthusiasm reminds me of when I was starting to autocross. "What if I had every Sunday free and a competitive car? Could I maybe get good enough to win a nationals trophy?"
Except I had a bunch of babies and stopped autocrossing for a decade. This guy is going to take the Civic and actually do it.

spacecadet
spacecadet New Reader
9/16/16 4:47 p.m.

I'm reposting here what happened to the car over the last 5 months...

I've been Silent for 5 months...well here's what happened in 5 months.

I took the car to the drag strip a few times to have some fun and play with launching the car

The car nearly got flooded out when I tried to get to work on the tax day flood.

The Civic picked up a new nickname...The Civic Supercar at our local BMW AutoX

I managed to completely MAUL a cone at a TAMU Autox

I went to The SCCA Solo Tour event over the 4th of July Weekendm, at TAMU Riverside annex and had my butt handed to me, But learned a lot.

And then I went fairly silent for 2 months.....

BECAUSE...i had to work my butt off to get my finances in order to go to SOLO Nationals!! My plans of trailering the car were dashed upon realizing how much gas was going to set me back. So....in a move of PURE idiocy I decided to drive a STS car with no AC, no cruise control and a very loud STS car exhaust to Lincoln...

So I packed 4 wheels and tires....2 loose tires, a tent, sleeping bag, a floor jack and 4 stands, tire sprayer and my clothes into the civic and drove 900 Miles to Nebraska...

After arriving unscathed the real fun began....

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
9/17/16 12:09 a.m.

Nice! How'd it go?

This thread makes me miss my 88. :(

spacecadet
spacecadet New Reader
9/17/16 11:53 a.m.
DaewooOfDeath wrote: Nice! How'd it go? This thread makes me miss my 88. :(

It went better than I hoped. I am trying to not go overboard on my forum use at work. so I'll post my event recap tomorrow!

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
7/3/19 11:28 p.m.

So I never finished this thread properly.. 

this is my 1001 post officially a "dork" and so I decided to gather up all the photos i had from after Solo Nationals 2016. 

This is the final photo of the car in my posession July 29th 2017. 

I owned the car for 17 months. That car brought me to the Forum and while I didn't post a lot here while i owned it... I USED IT A LOT. 

This was the final Autox I took it to.. an event at Texas A&M riverside campus.. which is now a dead site since the school booted the sportscar club out for liability reasons. 

it's parked next to the first EF i ever rode in... My uncle's '91 CRX Si which I owned prior to the STS car and sold to pay for the STS car. 

THe article is talked about in my other thread.. but I found my pictures from the day of the photo shoot at my house. 

one of the best looking photos of the car, if not the best photo I ever took of it. 

the night before the shoot I got a feiend of mine who's a great detailer to help me shine the car up.. 

we made that maaco paint job pop.. single stage looks great for about a week... 

But my favorite photo of that car is still this one..

I'll post more photos of the car later.. but I just wanted to put these up for now. 

Over the past 3 years I've gone from the rare post to I live on this forum.... 

*toast* to all of you in this community and forum. I have met a bunch of you already and look forward to meeting more of you in the coming months and years.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
7/4/19 9:43 a.m.

Spacecadet really is one of us. 

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
7/8/19 8:10 p.m.

More photos! 

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
7/8/19 8:19 p.m.

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
7/8/19 8:21 p.m.

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
7/8/19 8:22 p.m.

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
7/8/19 8:37 p.m.

this is the photo that burns the most. 

I had cash in hand from the new buyer.. car was going to them in 4 days and I made a major lapse in judgment and took the car to work. 

i did get off lucky though. the hood, light, fender, lower trim and core support was the extent of the damage. I missed frame damage by about a half inch of height.

the car took 6 weeks to get parts and fix but it did go to the new owner still. 

who got engaged and sold the car for a major loss 4 months after he bought it from me because he rushed for a sale. 

4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gmSNya4lUfp9RdqZmQWNwBQTBaK8zD1eOGP0ARWXjghuQInpe9Bz7XD9wXXAWIqK