Georges1991 Reader
5/19/20 10:33 p.m.

Lol!

Thanks guys

Georges1991
Georges1991 Reader
6/7/20 9:48 p.m.

Well it was a beautiful day today. 

Changed the oil again, just doing some short changes for now because I have reason to believe it was pretty neglected in the past, plus any residual coolant from the timing job. 

Also tried some Poorboys EX Sealant after my wash. Very happy with it!

Scored some old timing lights and Dwell/Tachs, and AC gages on Facebook Marketplace for nearly nothing as well, and stopped at Grandmas and moms today. 130 flawless miles all across Chicago. This thing is dead nuts reliable, and I couldn't be more pleased.

George

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/7/20 10:10 p.m.

That thing looks so good that it doesn't look real. surprise

Georges1991
Georges1991 Reader
6/8/20 3:33 p.m.

Thanks Tony! It cleans up well!

slantsix
slantsix Reader
6/8/20 6:31 p.m.

You missed the scum on the exhaust tip.. :-o

Lookin' good!

Greg

Georges1991
Georges1991 Reader
6/8/20 7:27 p.m.

Ah ya caught me Greg! I need some 0000 Steel Wool. Its been gross for too long, good eye! Lol

Georges1991
Georges1991 Reader
6/14/20 11:46 p.m.

Nothing exciting as usual, lol, but i did experiment with some wet sanding last night!

The hood was still cloudy after a good DA compounding so out came the sandpaper. Did a 1000/2000 combo, followed by Meguairs Ultimate Compound on the DA, and im pretty darn happy. 

Also did the tailgate, which the paint is absolutely boned on, and its hard to tell in pictures, but it looks a LOT better.

Side by side comparison. Left is done and polished vs right.

Right side being sanded down.

Tailgate after a best I can do attempt.

Waxed it then this AM and went to a car get together with a bunch of buddies. Nice way to spend a weekend, 70s and sunny. Can't beat it.

George

Georges1991
Georges1991 Reader
6/15/20 10:39 p.m.

Went with some buddies today to look at a 78 Continental. Car was a bit too rough for my friends taste, but we met some super cool dudes who owned the property and made an amazing parts connection. Walked around and BS'd for hours, it was great!

Also found all of the interior trim and visors I needed, for 15 bucks. Score!

slantsix
slantsix Reader
6/16/20 3:34 p.m.

That 71? ish long bed stepside is cool.

Good score.

Greg

Shadeux (Forum Supporter)
Shadeux (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/16/20 3:59 p.m.

Turbine mags are a huge favorite of mine!

This reminds me, my neighbor had knee surgery back in the 80's. He couldn't shift his Dodge (a highway department) souced truck. I went to a junkyard and picked clean a 727 equipped truck.

Pretty soon he had an automatic truck!

Georges1991
Georges1991 Reader
6/18/20 10:22 p.m.

Greg: totally was. That whole place was a gem. 100s of odd ball cars stuck all over. Guy had like 10 Chevettes lol.

Shadeux: Turbines are just the 80s truck wheel to me. Love it. Neat story too! Lol.

So threw the trim in. Still working on the headliner, but that'll be done here soon I think. Makes the truck look way more complete.

Also a one year (and one month) comparison pic.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/19/20 8:28 a.m.

Man I love the short/short 4x4 look. Very cool truck!

Georges1991
Georges1991 Reader
8/4/20 2:29 p.m.

Thanks!

Did a rear end service today, did the front when I rebuilt the front end last winter.

Magnet was pretty clean, fluid was low however. I have 3.55s so thats cool. 

Also Wal-Marts 88 cent spray paint is a fantastic bargain. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
8/4/20 3:02 p.m.

That reminds me, I need to change all of the gear fluids in my Power Wagon soon. Who knows what's in there!

Georges1991
Georges1991 Reader
8/4/20 7:27 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

I finally have all new fluids now. Seems like the past service history approach on this truck was "meh I guess", so I'm glad I'm caught up!

slantsix
slantsix Reader
8/5/20 11:03 a.m.

Filling the rear ends and other hard to reach areas with the Marine lower unit oil pump that is sold at Wal*Mart has also made the procedure less messy and clean after everything is painted. :-)

Those pumps thread right onto the Quart Gear Lube and oil bottles in place of the standard cap or the Cap / Nipple thing.

Greg

Georges1991
Georges1991 Reader
8/6/20 11:54 p.m.

In reply to slantsix :

Oh wow, great idea! Thanks!

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/7/20 9:47 a.m.

I dont think i bought mine at Walmart but i can't really remember. Anyway if you're getting one get one that's got both sizes of thread on it (to screw onto both quart bottles and gallons).  

Like this.

slantsix
slantsix Reader
8/7/20 10:54 a.m.

In reply to Vigo (Forum Supporter) :

Cool.. Yep one of those.. I never has seen a gallon of gear oil much here...

Greg

Georges1991
Georges1991 Reader
8/28/20 5:43 p.m.

Did a little junkyarding today. Nearly 100 degrees and humid, what a day. Ended up helping a guy pull a engine harness from a Chevy Malibu, and went home and jumped in my daughter's pool lol.

Got some clips and knobs etc from this W250. Also got an antenna (mines snapped off) pretty picked over, but a couple of decent things left on it. At the Pick N Pull in Hammond Indiana.

Also got a mint seat bottom for my friends 2nd Gen ram, hard to find!

And my matching "pacer" center cap came in, makes my naked wheel look a lot better!

George

Georges1991
Georges1991 Reader
8/30/20 1:37 a.m.

In case anyone was wondering, 2nd gen ram license plate lights fit like a glove in our bumpers. Still have to wire it up, but looks good to me!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/30/20 7:00 a.m.

I thought - your plates look familiar but I was wrong.  My buddy had this on his truck in 1980 (Illinois) when we camped all over the west - I had to write it down when I registered at the campgrounds.  

Georges1991
Georges1991 Reader
9/3/20 12:51 a.m.

1980. Not to make you feel old pops, but I was still 12 years away from my grand, or not so, entrance to the spinning rock, and wow, 54 XXX would be a super low "B" plate number now. We're into the 1234567 "B" isssue.

Illinois used to have some nice simple plates. Now we're stuck with the "2nd graders introduction to photoshop, by Crayola" design. Yuck.

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
itZCDDgMRO5XWoduTYmTU26Dx2J694gkqRotSgqJ8Ak1LlfDNGCKlerzRzwonUNt