1 2 3 4
whiskey_business
whiskey_business Reader
2/14/19 10:45 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Cutting off shock hoops etc. was in my plan for this thing. . . PM me and we can discuss. I'd be open to letting the bare chassis go for the right price.

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
2/14/19 10:57 a.m.

See the source image

I like where this is going. Party on.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
2/14/19 11:17 a.m.

Yep, this is going to be the... Business.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
2/14/19 12:28 p.m.

So wide-5 all around? Awesome. I need some of that in my life. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
2/14/19 1:50 p.m.

Sweet! That will be fun.

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee PowerDork
2/14/19 3:06 p.m.

That escalated quickly...

whiskey_business
whiskey_business Reader
2/14/19 3:45 p.m.

In reply to Mr. Lee :

No, it was more of a lingering, low level dissatisfaction with the original concept that made me take corrective action. Hopefully with all the badass parts I'll be motivated to finish it quickly. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/14/19 7:07 p.m.

In reply to whiskey_business :

i’ll have to find a full roller like you did(i still have all the front wide 5 wilwood stuff and tubular arms and sweet rack though)

whiskey_business
whiskey_business Reader
2/16/19 9:50 a.m.

Didn't get a whole ton done by myself last night, but before I had people come over to help wrench I wanted to get all the sharp dangerous bits taken off of it. So, one drill bit and 150 odd rivets later and the body came off the MIG welded electrical conduit that made up its structure.

Oddly cathartic drilling out all those rivets.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
2/16/19 11:59 a.m.

Why not make this tune left and right and drape the remains of the S10 body over this instead?

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
2/16/19 12:22 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

Why not make this tune left and right and drape the remains of the S10 body over this instead?

This!

whiskey_business
whiskey_business Reader
2/16/19 1:08 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

This is a possibility, but unlikely. Wheelbase is wrong, chassis is super offset, and my understanding of the frame is that it is not quite straight anymore. Plus, no ridealongs!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/16/19 1:40 p.m.

Berlin raceway is my "home" track. Not that I've ever run on an oval, but I grew up a couple dozen miles from there and when my mom needed a night off my dad would load all five of us up to go watch the races. I think it was mostly because it was too loud for us to really complain about anything. I loved it and it's probably a contributing factor to my current state automotive insanity. Watching late models run in the mid 80's was cool. 

whiskey_business
whiskey_business Reader
2/18/19 8:42 a.m.

Took a brief detour from wrenching on the truck to fix my wife's Sonic. To anyone considering these tiny E36 M3boxes, save yourselves the trouble. In the less than 12 months she has owned it, it has killed 2 serpentine belts, failed rear axle bushings, wallered out rear wheel bearings, cracked the thermostat housing, and destroyed the whole PCV system requiring replacement of hoses, valve cover and intake. PCV issue caused hard misfiring and every air/fuel system code possible to light up the MIL. 

Picture from my monthly blood offering to the Sonic to keep it running. Never want to see the inside of this particular 1.4 turbo again. Please note the dog toy shoved into compressor inlet to prevent object intrusion.

whiskey_business
whiskey_business Reader
2/18/19 9:25 a.m.

But on to the fun stuff! Totally forgot to take pictures of the hokey chassis cart I threw together, it might be lurking in a couple of the below photos. Just made of Home Depot casters, some lengths of 4x4 to carry the frame rails, and a couple 2x4 sections to connect the 4x4 crossbeams together. Held up like a champ despite a couple fumbles, need to reinforce a bit for next time though.

Brought the modified chassis into the garage with the help of some buddies, put it up on stands, and started stripping off all the good stuff. The more we pulled off, the more obvious it was how not suited to going straight/right it was.

Big takeaway from taking apart someone else's race car was that NOTHING WAS TIGHT. Castellated nuts on ball joints, control arm mounts, rear end links, everything was finger tight plus a quarter turn or so. Cant believe he thought the car was "ready to race".

In addition, the wiring was totally usuable; wire nuts on everything, excess ground wire being used to tie up power wires, wires passing through sheet metal without grommets, and more. Everything on this car was a safety nightmare, can't wait to be done with it.

But, all of the sketchiness made the disassembly go fast. Before lunch the front suspension was off, the bodywork was scrapped, and it was mostly down to bare frame.

This is an adequate amount of tire, but there are plans for more tire to be had before this is over.

And then it was on to the rear end. Underneath all the Tractor Supply sheet metal and pop rivets was this beauty.

Pleasantly surprised at how reconfigurable these axles are. Because of the aluminum axle tubes, none of the mounts are permanent. All of the links/shocks/caliper mounts are massive billet clamp-on pieces. This will suit the adjustment to autocross well.

Looking at it straight on, you can see how offset the differential carrier is. Definitely going to need some axle tube adjustment to make it work. . . 

Cooling fins are a nice touch though. For a dressed axle with a 10 inch ring gear, this thing is remarkably light. If you look closely next to the set of shins/driver side axle tube, the unique Panhard bar can be seen. Because of the quick change gear cover hanging off the back, the lateral location of the axle has to be done in front of the axle and over top of the pinion yoke. This piece likely wont work, but it is good reference.

And, after most of a Sunday working with a crew of five, the frame was bare. Still have the lead ballast and pedal box to pull, but all the fun stuff was removed and ready to go onto the Sonoma.

The Sonoma frame got put back on real jack stands, the circle track carcass loaded onto the chassis cart, and the garage was back to parking mode. Soon the real work of building up the truck begins!

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
2/25/19 11:18 a.m.

Didn't realize how close you were until seeing your sale ad for the tires. Im right by Woodward a little east of you, would love to help out if you need a hand in the future!

whiskey_business
whiskey_business Reader
2/25/19 2:25 p.m.

In reply to classicJackets :

Could always use a hand! Shoot me a PM and we can figure something out, likely gonna host another build party this weekend.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
2/25/19 3:03 p.m.

Awesome project, loving it. Real Racing Wheels makes some nice, light wide-5 wheels, price is somewhat reasonable too. Only down side is that they are easily damaged/bent, so they are terrible for street use.

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
2/26/19 8:17 a.m.

Not sure if it will help you, but I have some spindles that are suitable for turning left and right, support wide five hubs, and are in my way.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/200x-classifieds/circle-track-prepared-class-parts/101680/page1/

I was asking $300, but they really need to get gone.  Any reasonable, bordering on unreasonable offer will probably be accepted.

Pretty sure I have the rest of the parts in that ad too, but I would need to confirm. Pat confirmed for me - I only have the spindles.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/26/19 9:21 a.m.

In reply to Gimp :

Nah you just have the spindles, you gave me the other bits

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
2/26/19 9:54 a.m.

In reply to whiskey_business :

where you stay at?   i'm in Canton.   we should hang out sometime.  

whiskey_business
whiskey_business Reader
2/26/19 10:36 a.m.

In reply to 81cpcamaro :

Definitely a solid suggestion, I'm gonna need some fatties soon.

In reply to Gimp:

Thanks for the offer, already have that exact set of spindles oddly enough.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

Shoot me a PM, gonna have a build party soon!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
2/26/19 10:38 a.m.
whiskey_business
whiskey_business Reader
2/26/19 8:21 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Haha I wish! Syclones are awesome, can't believe there was enough coke in the world to get GM to sign off on that thing!

wawazat
wawazat Reader
2/26/19 9:17 p.m.

I’m in Beverly Hills at 13 Mile and Evergreen. I should be working ob my cars but I could swing by for a bit of work on your car.  Could probably bring Adrian too. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7EcNTAm6D1hxZ2qen2oyOyPPlVSuTkVB6PSpRJhKnuF5dsrhmv3rB93sgBd3BSb6