http://www.d-series.org/forums/showcase/196298-high-compression-f2b-turbo.html

F23/H22 combo:

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showcase/166655-firsteg-project-motor.html

HiProfile's plateless thread for F/H2B:

http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/188137-h2b-f2b-w-o-plate.html

unevolved
unevolved Dork
9/2/14 9:22 a.m.

Thanks for the reading. I've got a lot to learn about these motors.

I ran some part numbers this weekend, apparently one of the heads is a PDE casting (Accord Euro R/JDM H23A VTEC) and there's a set of new P5P pistons (same motor). So I could sell those and get my motor cost down to $0, or I could just shelve them for a badass H22A build post-Challenge... Hm.

beans
beans Dork
9/2/14 6:34 p.m.

Interesting indeed. The PDE castings are a nice touch, better valve angles and the like. They're SUPPOSED to make more power, but it's all internet lore right now. No one's really done a back to back test to prove it, even on a flow bench.

Shoot me a message and let me know what else you have. I may want to build a hybrid engine in the future, if this Accord doesn't keep pissing me off.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
9/3/14 6:15 a.m.

Aside from a complete(ly disassembled) H22, that's pretty much it.

I may make a flow bench at some point, I've always wanted to play with that stuff. This would be a good opportunity for a stock-for-stock comparison.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
9/7/14 12:40 p.m.

After talking it over with the other guys, we may not be bringing the car this year. Too much to do with various small businesses, and I'd rather take my time and enjoy it. I've got enough stress in my life. So the plan is now to show up, wrench on other people's cars and drink beer. Maybe at the same time.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
11/7/14 8:58 p.m.

Most engine mounts for Hondas are far too compliant. There is no crossbracing in the front of the car, so the engine/gearbox needs to be a structural member - it's a bedplated block and can take it. You will absolutely need the cast brace that goes from the bottom of the engine to the gearbox - it may even be worth milling a mild steel brace. If you don't have a harmonic balancer on the crankshaft, its lifespan is 5000 street miles or 5 hours on track. The oiling system is good to at least 1.4g but in endurance racing oil overheating killed three engines for Bill Danger in a row. New Chrysler products have a really good oil-to-water heat exchanger if you don't want an oil cooler.

beans
beans Dork
11/8/14 2:46 a.m.
chaparral wrote: Most engine mounts for Hondas are far too compliant. There is no crossbracing in the front of the car, so the engine/gearbox needs to be a structural member - it's a bedplated block and can take it. You will absolutely need the cast brace that goes from the bottom of the engine to the gearbox - it may even be worth milling a mild steel brace. If you don't have a harmonic balancer on the crankshaft, its lifespan is 5000 street miles or 5 hours on track. The oiling system is good to at least 1.4g but in endurance racing oil overheating killed three engines for Bill Danger in a row. New Chrysler products have a really good oil-to-water heat exchanger if you don't want an oil cooler.

Where's this info coming from? Experience?

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
11/10/14 7:03 p.m.

Beans,

Yes. Raced an F22-powered Accord in Lemons, and drove a B16-powered CRX for years on the street.

-CPX

beans
beans Dork
11/11/14 2:17 a.m.

Duh, should've recognized the Bill Danger name sooner from LeMons. I'd love to hear some of your input on chassis setup for my Accord.

Sorry to Hijack, unevolved.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
11/15/14 10:11 p.m.

No worries, guys.

On a slightly related note, I think I'm going to try and trade away a PDE head. Anyone interested in helping me turn an Accord Type-R head into some coilovers?

unevolved
unevolved Dork
12/31/14 1:55 p.m.

I'm at the point now where I need to put a motor in this damn thing and make some progress, or I'm going to lose interest and sell it. I need to buy some parts, if my E46 can hold together.

logdog
logdog Dork
12/31/14 7:09 p.m.
unevolved wrote: I'm at the point now where I need to put a motor in this damn thing and make some progress, or I'm going to lose interest and sell it. I need to buy some parts, if my E46 can hold together.

Don't sell it until I find out if my wrecked Chumpcar Civic can be fixed. I may need a new shell.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
12/31/14 7:20 p.m.

Ha, don't worry. I've already got a bad tendency to get attached to cars, and I've actually got a legitimate reason to be attached to this chassis. I doubt it's going anywhere, it's just frustrating that my E46 has to park in the driveway so a POS $400 Civic can park in the garage.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
12/31/14 7:24 p.m.

I'm talking with a guy in town about buying a full H22 setup. Tempting, it'll make my sourcing SOOOO much easier. But it'll stress the budget quite a bit.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/1/15 8:14 a.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/scratched-bores-how-much-is-too-much/97284/page1/

Started a new thread here for a specific question. Need to decide if I want to move forward with this block I've got, or go with something else.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/2/15 8:05 a.m.

Made some small progress on my day off. Picked up a cheap engine stand from Harbor Freight so I can clean and prep the block a little easier:

Picked up a transmission from a local guy. It's from a Type-SH, which I'm not too enthused about, but I should be able to make it work. Allegedly, you can run DA Integra axles, and it all fits just fine. Not a lot of information about swapping an SH transmission into something other than a Prelude. Also got a used clutch and flywheel, and some beat-to-E36 M3 Innovative swap mounts.

Got a lot of cleaning ahead of me, but I'm pretty well committed to an H22 now. This thing's gonna be a little nose-heavy...

beans
beans Dork
1/3/15 12:23 a.m.

From what I recall, the SH transmission isn't able to bolt onto a non-SH block and vice versa. There is an adapter solution but it's not cheap. Things may have changed now, but hopefully you didn't get an expensive paperweight!

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/3/15 8:39 p.m.

I hope so too, the seller proposed a solution that he said he'd used before. Everything I could find talking about using an SH transmission on a non-SH motor was in either an Accord or Prelude, and caused axle problems. I didn't see anything about using it for a swap where axle problems are a foregone conclusion, so I may be able to figure something out.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
1/11/15 12:03 a.m.

You'll really want a lighter clutch and flywheel if this isn't a Challenge car - try a Fidanza.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/11/15 2:22 p.m.

Definitely a Challenge car. Potentially for sale Challenge car.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/12/15 7:11 a.m.

Hey, I just had an epiphany. I should donate this project to a school looking to start a Challenge team. I don't have time for it, with a small business AND a full time job, and there's nothing it's better suited for than being a cheap racecar again. All I really want is to see it turn a wheel in anger again, I don't really care who gets it there.

Rick Goolsby
Rick Goolsby Events Manager
1/12/15 7:30 a.m.

In reply to involved:

Please send me a PM and lets talk.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/12/15 7:47 a.m.

PM'd.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/30/15 8:19 a.m.

Still trying to find a school interested in this program, I'd be willing to donate the entire project if we can find the right group. If you know of a school that wants a free H22 hatch project to take to the GRM Challenge (must be an official SAE club, which is pretty common), let me know.

echoechoecho
echoechoecho New Reader
1/30/15 2:25 p.m.

Florida International University would do it! I work at FIU and I sometimes help out the formula SAE project they are doing but they really dont have the money for that but $201x would be perfect for them let me ask/tell them.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dmNKMkJxdLYhaE8LUZCiQHGV3Kruw4N1v6DA533fa1qsZO8oV3Hd1H5fQcl8TXrm