1 2 3
Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy Reader
10/10/18 8:20 p.m.

Short block : assembled.

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish New Reader
10/11/18 9:34 a.m.

The jealousy is real with this one.  Volvo.  LS.  RWD.  Suspension that could be dailied.  Presumably not an eye-watering amount of dollars invested.  Sweet build, keep up the good work.

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy Reader
12/5/18 7:30 p.m.

Important step: to be able to tell people that I have a "sixteen valve redblock swap", it needs to be red.  That's a problem we can solve.

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy Reader
3/28/19 8:23 p.m.

Okay, time for updates!  It seems like I do this pattern where I work on the car for a few months, then remember to update the thread and do it all in a burst...

Heads:

They went on uneventfully.  New gaskets/seals, bolts, and PAC1218 valve springs.

Accessory test fit:

Flywheel and clutch:

They're the stock units for a C6z from Rockauto for $300 for the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, and slave cylinder.

And the transmission (and exhaust manifolds, but those aren't particularly exciting):

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
3/28/19 8:51 p.m.

looking good!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
3/28/19 9:01 p.m.

In reply to Matthew Kennedy :

Solid progress. Refresh my memory here, what transmission is that you're using?

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy Reader
3/29/19 12:39 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

It's a T56.  It doesn't look like a normal T56 because it's the unloved child of the family, from the 1st gen CTS-V.  The tail housing is the stubby one with a flat flange, instead of a slip yoke (like a TR6060).

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy Reader
3/31/19 6:28 p.m.

(this one is slightly out of order, it happens in the middle of the previous post, but oh well)

I bought a complete truck engine wiring harness, which of course had a bunch of stuff that I don't need, like automatic transmission, AC, anti-theft, rear O2 sensors, etc.

I draped it over the engine, and plugged in everything I needed, then started pulling back the wires that I didn't.  In this pic, the unneeded wires are still pinned in the ECU connector, but are pulled out of the harness.

Culled harness, with electrical tape carnage:

Accessory/intake test fit:

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy Reader
4/1/19 5:43 p.m.

January 29 thru February 5: the car goes under the knife.

The front end of the 240 is super easy to remove.

And then the engine is super easy to get out.

High-tech, Wreck Racing perfected cardboard aided design for the crossmember notch:

So then things got a little difficult, because it snowed pretty significantly in the Seattle area the first week in February.

But the engine fits, so that's cool!  Only required very minimal bashing of the firewall/bellhousing area, and a little trimming of the passenger side exhaust flange to clear the frame rail.

artur1808
artur1808 Reader
9/12/19 2:20 p.m.

What ever happened with this? Did the swap get finished?

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy Reader
5/12/21 4:09 p.m.

In reply to artur1808 :

It did! I got lazy and stopped posting on the forum (mistake).  The car has something like 5000 miles on the LS swap now, and it's great!

russian
russian Reader
5/12/21 11:05 p.m.

Matt forgets to mention that he has designed his own ECU for this vehicle https://youtu.be/GOdAtSPT3zA

Logs&tunes at https://rusefi.com/online/?vehicleName=Volvo+240&user_id=683&sorts[uploadedMsq]=-1&sorts[uploadedLog]=-1

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy Reader
5/13/21 1:12 p.m.

In reply to russian :

Hey, I was getting there!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SaW0rqYYKVxAALcGJGaJareI5fQrarpiLaWGYFwWPMV6jWaFRKJbnQyEiI7infDG