1 2 3
1SlowVW
1SlowVW New Reader
10/30/18 11:01 a.m.

Let me start by saying that I’ve never been a domestic guy. And while I’ve owned a few rangers I’ve never owned a full size truck until last fall.

This all began last year when I started reading up on mega squirt. I tend to do this every few years to see how it’s advanced and have been fascinated by it for almost a decade. That lead me down the turbo ls rabbit hole eventually ending up on the sloppy mechanics YouTube channel.

Then like all good hypothetical projects someone called my bluff. I was working at a shop and the owner was teasing me about my obsession with turbo vw’s. I jokingly said “don’t worry the next thing I’m building will be a turbo 4.8 or 5.3” to which he replied “ there’s one in the yard I’ll trade you for a c-note.” I wasn’t going to be made a fool of so I bought his low mileage 4.8.

Once I had the motor things snowballed , I purchase a Microsquirt set up, then a th400, and finally a 98 s10.

My wife is great but the s10 was too much. So after fitting the motor , building my own log manifolds and getting the motor fired up she told me to go find another swap candidate.

I didn’t waste any time in finding something else, with wagons too hard to find and square body trucks going for Hollywood money I found a good deal on my 94 c1500 with a blown transmission.

The project got out to the side this summer with my mk2 vw taking a lot of time. But now it’s winter and it’s time to get back to work.

Truck currently sits with motor and trans in. Driveshaft in. Walbro in the tank and sometime last winter I got a decent deal on a master power 76mm turbo.

Topped it off with an eBay intercooler and some Deka 60’s means that my combo should be pretty potent for not a lot of cash.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/30/18 11:03 a.m.

Care to give us a bit more detail on how you mounted the whole setup? My 95 Silverado will get the 5.3 at some point when the 350 dies

1SlowVW
1SlowVW New Reader
10/30/18 11:17 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

I printed off some motor mount adapter plate templates from diy auto tune. Cut them with an angle grinder and drilled and tapped a few holes. Then I dropped it in, it was super easy. 

Link:

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/install/chevrolet-gm/ls-central/free-downloadable-ls-motor-swap-templates/

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/30/18 11:22 a.m.

Ls accessories and oil pan and such all fit? What about ac compressor and hoses?

Id heard that it was all but a drop in, but trust the information from this forum more than anyone else 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW New Reader
10/30/18 11:30 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

All accessories seem to fit. I’m not running ac but if I didn’t have a turbo there I’m sure there would be lots of space.

oil pan sits about 3/4” lower than the subframe which would be an issue if you were off roading or slammed. But it won’t be an issue for me.

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
10/30/18 11:46 a.m.

You gotta keep the chrome fender trim for the full sleeper effect. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Dork
10/30/18 12:51 p.m.

It's my understanding that the AC compressor requires a frame notch or something.

I'd love to do this with my 88 Silverado, but in the end, that's just me talking.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW New Reader
10/30/18 2:11 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

I think if you high mounted the ac compressor where I have my turbo you would be fine. 

Even with the extra piping nicked up in the picture I can still just about climb in the bay with the engine.

GoLucky
GoLucky New Reader
10/30/18 6:21 p.m.

There is so much win here! Super stoked on your sleeper truck. What about something to simulate the sounds of a failing power steering pump to cover up turbo whine?

1SlowVW
1SlowVW New Reader
10/31/18 7:18 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I hate the trim very much, and fear what it’s hiding.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
10/31/18 9:12 a.m.
GoLucky said:

There is so much win here! Super stoked on your sleeper truck. What about something to simulate the sounds of a failing power steering pump to cover up turbo whine?

Just drain out most of the power steering fluid. That would do it. Or put on a really squeaky belt tensioner pulley.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/31/18 9:28 a.m.

As one of the resident gmt400 guys, I approve this build.  

1SlowVW
1SlowVW New Reader
10/31/18 10:11 a.m.
Patrick said:

As one of the resident gmt400 guys, I approve this build.  

Pull up a chair and stick around I’m going to have questions when it comes to getting the suspension, rear end, and brakes ready for this perfectly reasonable amount of power I have added.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW New Reader
11/1/18 7:31 p.m.

Because sleeper truck motif must be continued. Gauges are hidden in the ash tray. Recessed back far enough to be closed. Still needs a little cleaning up. But I think it will work well for 2$ worth of sheet metal.

I was also pleased that I was able to get the column shifter to work. Microsquirt and independent fuse panel for the engine will all be stashed in the glove box.

GoLucky
GoLucky New Reader
11/1/18 9:01 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

Stealth mode. I really like how sleepy you are keeping it. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/1/18 9:35 p.m.

Do you have a hp/tq estimate you’re looking for?

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
11/1/18 9:41 p.m.

As a guy with an '89 short bed who also just drove home a no-title '01 Tahoe engine donor...I'm in for updates.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW New Reader
11/2/18 6:24 a.m.
ebonyandivory said:

Do you have a hp/tq estimate you’re looking for?

V1.0 400whp through the th400

v2.0 ad cam and valve springs and go for 500whp.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW New Reader
11/23/18 7:51 p.m.

Had a couple hours tonight to play with the truck. Managed to get the fuel tank back up in place. Then as a reward for that I started mocking up a down pipe. I did have a few mandrel 3” bends but in the end it’s looking like a few small radius cuts were easier and “clean enough.”

Hard to get a good picture without more light but it’s clearing everything so far and will allow me to keep my heater core lines.

GoLucky
GoLucky New Reader
11/23/18 7:58 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

Do I spy sharpie marks for a wastegate mounting on the turbine housing?

1SlowVW
1SlowVW New Reader
11/23/18 8:02 p.m.
GoLucky said:

In reply to 1SlowVW :

Do I spy sharpie marks for a wastegate mounting on the turbine housing?

Good eye!

Your correct, and none of that fancy v-band stuff were welding a solid steel flange to that thing! I’m quite excited to see if a single 32mm gate will be enough on the turbine. I do have lots of space on the drivers side manifold to put another if needed though.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltimaDork
11/24/18 4:19 p.m.

I really like this project. Poke around Criagslist for a ladder rack and tool box for extra disguise.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW New Reader
11/25/18 7:07 a.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku :

I’ve got an old white topper that I can put in. With a piece of plywood instead of rear glass.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW New Reader
11/29/18 6:33 p.m.

Found some motivation tonight, got a bunch of welding done before I ran out of wire. Also now there’s an o2 bung. Small victories! This picture should inspire all people who can’t weld to weld anyway.

GoLucky
GoLucky New Reader
11/29/18 9:05 p.m.

Stoked with what’s going on. Could you put a bigger gate on the same flange if you need to or is it a 32mm specific pattern?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mSyrgEfniT83qQXCnFOBx9Y2TfS7WLXwxFmgjStjlGJnflrwIxJ3bA50xahkKy9y