2 3 4 5 6
1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
5/26/19 3:25 p.m.

All welded up, even found a can of seam sealer on the shelf so I hit it with that. 

That’s one big step closer to passing provincial motor vehicle inspection.

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
5/26/19 6:52 p.m.

What about the burnout inspection? 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
5/26/19 7:02 p.m.

Still no wastegate...getting closer though.

Also not sure that the stock non posi 10 bolt will put up with many turbo ls powered burnouts. 

Thinking a 12 bolt g80 will be my next major purchase. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
5/28/19 7:29 p.m.

I may suck at welding sheet metal but once and I while I can do something that doesn’t look completely hack.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
6/7/19 6:57 a.m.

I don’t outsource much, but I wasn’t confident in my abilities to complete this weld. 

FIYAPOWA
FIYAPOWA Reader
6/7/19 7:59 a.m.

Pretty sweet build - but I hate to ask, 4L60?  Just curious if I should start sharing my collection of 4L60 1-2 shift memes lol

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
6/7/19 8:26 a.m.

In reply to FIYAPOWA :

Sorry to disappoint but using a th400.I’m sure there’s lots of room for 4l60 jokes on the web elsewhere.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
6/10/19 10:32 a.m.

Question of the day. Can a shop that re-stalls torque converters test this one I just bought and tell me what the stall is? It came in a tci box but I don’t think it’s a tci converter. The gentlemen I bought it from seemed trust worthy and swore it was high stall that he was going to run in his nova.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
6/15/19 5:59 p.m.

Have a wastegate, pulled a bunch of fuel out of the map and it’s running much better, I think the boost cut may be set at 0 or as it cuts hard when it swings from vacuum into boost.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
6/16/19 5:25 p.m.

Played with the fuel tables today, at one point I saw about 5psi for half a second.

I need to get this thing street legal for further tuning. My 1/8th mile dirt private lane it not sufficient to load the motor up and hold boost.

Next weekend is signal and brake lights as well as front brakes.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
6/19/19 7:06 p.m.

Back a day early from work. So I tore the front brakes apart...no surprise after sitting for years that the sliders and pistons were seized solid.

So tomorrow I’ll pick up some calipers  and front pads.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
6/22/19 8:43 a.m.

New pads and calipers up front. It’s my wife’s birthday this weekend so not sure I’ll get the lighting problems sorted. 

New multi function switch means I now have wipers when on high, and working signal lights. Just need brake lights and low beams now.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
7/23/19 7:31 p.m.

Finally working brake lights! Just need to wire in relay for rad fans and for wiper motor then it's mvi time. Everything else the mechanics told me to fix has been addressed. And a few other things they missed.

java230
java230 UltraDork
7/23/19 8:27 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

Sweet! 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
7/24/19 8:04 p.m.

Drove it to the shop for motor vehicle inspection tonight. Hopefully have it inspected tomorrow then I can get plates and start tuning.

I think my column shift isn’t quite lining up the gears correctly on the th400. It seems to hunt from 2-3. Will have to play with it before making any power runs as I don’t want to hurt the trans.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
7/25/19 3:28 p.m.

Passed provincial motor vehicle inspection today. Pretty good for a truck that hasn’t been inspected since 2010.

Wasnt able to get clear of work in time to go get plates. Street tuning starts tomorrow night.

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
7/25/19 4:47 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

Street tuning sounds like fun! I hope it involves tire smoke and turbo sounds.  

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
7/25/19 5:27 p.m.

In reply to GoLucky :

Got into it once just a bit taking it to the shop. It definitely makes a noise!

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
7/26/19 8:15 p.m.

Good news everyone! Drove the truck for about an hour tonight. It still needs lots of work on the tune but it ran cool all night despite 30c temperatures outside and had no major malfunctions. 

Pulls pretty hard on five pounds with a very rough tune as shown on this private farm road.

https://youtu.be/2AHvPVgs5j8

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
7/26/19 10:45 p.m.

I love the evil laugh.

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
7/27/19 12:29 a.m.

Yes! That is awesome. Nicely done. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
8/5/19 11:11 a.m.

Probably have about 50 miles on the truck not. Doesn’t overheat, doesn’t smoke, barely leaks any oil.

still on 5psi until I get get the transmission working perfectly. Over all I’m super pumped with the truck so far!

Downloaded the better version of tuner studio with the ve table analyzer and it’s really helping get the partial throttle and roll on power working better. 

Still some things to be done but I’m happy it’s on the road!

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
8/18/19 12:05 p.m.

Green tailgate was a red flag. While it did make the truck look more junky it also made it instantly recognizable.

So today I busted out the paint. It’s drying now but the match should be close enough. Paint it still wet in the pic, hoping the few small lines dry out.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
8/18/19 12:07 p.m.

Yesterday’s project was getting the waste gate dump done. Now it shoots into the inner fender instead of just into free air under the hood.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
8/18/19 1:34 p.m.

It’s not great but it’s a solid 50-50 job.

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SxMhCpD7o4cfR7xc0WVEBqCTvdZOYMmqtrIrpERgFZoGYQqrPqWTYJCE9mxJW93Y