1 2
Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/22/13 7:48 p.m.

I've always enjoyed mountain biking in the winter, but I've never had a bike that was properly set up for it. I like to ride on snowy trails and across frozen lakes. With two early snowstorms already, I decided that this would be the year to put a proper winter bike together.

I've had two Cannondales and decided to look for an old rigid frame on Craigslist. I wanted a simple bike and didn't really think that I would want or need suspension. I mentioned this to a friend of mine and he said that he has had an old Cannondale in a storage locker for two decades. He said that he had bought it new and put less than 20 road miles on it. He's about my height, so we came up with a price and I bought it sight unseen.

It just so happens that it's one of my favorite frame designs: a 1994 Cannondale Delta V 600.

photo DeltaV600004_zpsa3e0bfef.jpg

He had made a few changes in order to make those 20 road miles as comfortable as possible. He added a big heavy Bell gel seat on an elastomer post, removed the toe clips, added a non-wireless bike computer, a turquoise water bottle cage and bar ends and swapped the original Piranah Pro tires for a pair of smooth and narrow hybrid tires. All of these things would need to be changed, along with losing the kickstand. Fortunately, everything else on the bike was like new. The paint is almost perfect and the chain has never even been dirty. That will change too.

The bike does have Connondale's Headshok front suspension, but I'll take that as a bonus. There were three versions of it that year. The top of the line suspension was air/oil, and they were prone to leaking after a year or so. The entry level fork was elastomer with bushings. This bike came with the mid level fork, which is elastomer with bearings. It is by far the best that I could have hoped for two decades later.

The seat, post, kickstand, computer and the turquoise stuff disappeared pretty quickly. Fortunately, my friend was able to find the original seat post, as Cannondale posts are bigger than most others.

photo DeltaV600010_zps63b635dc.jpg

The bike has Cannondale's Force 40 brakes, just like one of my old bikes. I've always liked them. Notice how clean this frame is.

photo DeltaV600012_zps27577b6e.jpg

The original handlebar was a little low and nearly straight, so I picked up a nice aluminum replacement at the local bike shop. It was new but there was no packaging, so I got it for ten bucks. It moves my hands up enough that I'm much more comfortable, but it's not so much bigger that I would need to re-cable the bike.

photo DeltaV600016_zps6ab41fba.jpg

photo DeltaV600018_zpsdf237a54.jpg

The bike itself was cheap enough that I was able to go all out on the tires. I ordered a pair of Nokian Hakapeliittas with 300 carbide studs per tire. They were made in Finland and are slightly more aggressive than the tires that came on the bike.

photo DeltaV600024_zps87d3f7be.jpg

photo DeltaV600031_zpsb9ad5445.jpg

I actually had a pair of genuine Cannondale mountain bike water bottle brackets that I bought for one of my old bikes in 1994. Putting at least one of them on this bike just seemed like the right thing to do. I stripped off the old green paint and sprayed them with Rustoleum Hammered Black.

photo DeltaV600035_zpsa1365497.jpg

With the extra traction, I knew that I was going to need fenders. I had a new Sette seat post mounted fender, but since I fully expect to fall down a lot, I was afraid of snapping it off. I went back to the LBS and bought a nice Blackburn aluminum rack. I thought that the rack's forward mounts were a little cheesy, so I made an L shaped bracket out a piece of scrap aluminum. It's light and really strong. I attached the rack to the mount with a pair of rubber coated P-clamps. This also give the rack an nice aggressive angle.

photo DeltaV600055_zpse2f92bad.jpg

I also unbolted the center part of the rack and flipped it over. This will keep a lot of dirt and water spray off of the rear brake cam.

photo DeltaV600057_zpsc0288b9e.jpg

I removed the seat post mount from the fender that I had originally planned to use, and drilled an extra hole in it. I attached the plastic fender directly to the center of the rack.

photo DeltaV600081_zpsa13870e0.jpg

I added a set of toe clips (clipless pedals probably wouldn't be a great choice for me on this one) and stole the seat off my other Cannondale. I'm just waiting for the front fender to come in the mail and I'll be ready to ride.

photo DeltaV600076_zps41b49512.jpg

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/22/13 7:50 p.m.

Super cool build, I love the old Cannondale V bikes.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
12/22/13 8:52 p.m.

awesome build... but I see bent seat rails in your future :-/

still amazing how clean that thing is, love seeing studded tires on a bike... saw a ton of them while I was in Norway :)

Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/22/13 8:59 p.m.
donalson wrote: awesome build... but I see bent seat rails in your future :-/

Thanks. I've ridden most of my miles on hardtails and haven't bent a seat rail yet.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
12/22/13 9:46 p.m.

You're the first person in history who has been happy about receiving an elastomer shock.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/22/13 9:54 p.m.

That's because if it had the air/oil, I would have looked for another bike. At least this one won't leak down.

Remember: I started by looking for a rigid frame.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
12/22/13 10:10 p.m.
Woody wrote:
Thanks. I've ridden most of my miles on hardtails and haven't bent a seat rail yet.

well if you ever do this will be the one... slamming the rails all the way back like that puts a ton of leverage on them.

on a side note... looks like you got your bike stand setup figured out nicely :)... but be careful with that kind of clamp if you ever get to some higher end thin wall alu or carbon frames, those things can munch em :(

side note on that fork... I recall when those forks where new... I loved the concept from a rigidity standpoint especially considering how the early forks where all clamped together, seemed like the headshock was just a good idea... if you end up having probs with it you can still find the conversion kit to 1 1/8" forks without to much of an issue

Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/22/13 10:51 p.m.
donalson wrote:
Woody wrote:
well if you ever do this will be the one... slamming the rails all the way back like that puts a ton of leverage on them.

Your bike insight is always appreciated.

I hear what you're saying. Admittedly, I just pulled that seat and post off my suspension bike (Cannondale Rush) and dropped it in place as is, so maybe I was getting lucky on the softer bike. But there may be a bit of an illusion going on here as well. Here's a shot of post without the seat. You can see that the seat mount is cantilevered off the back a bit.

photo DeltaV600034_zps8c4f7178.jpg

Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/22/13 10:56 p.m.
donalson wrote: on a side note... looks like you got your bike stand setup figured out nicely :)... but be careful with that kind of clamp if you ever get to some higher end thin wall alu or carbon frames, those things can munch em :(

Good to know. There's not a lot of high end stuff passing through my basement, though. That clamp has a Schwinn StingRay or some other old muscle bike in it most of the time.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
12/22/13 11:07 p.m.

yup standard setback post (with that horrid single bolt adjustment YUCK lol i've gotten spoiled now)... but still it's pushed as far back on the clamp... and it's a fairly small clamp area... here's the best pic I could find... and this is with the super long thomson post (long seat rail clamp area)... note where it bent... if you hit one good bump the weight tends to go to the back of the saddle and will jut fold the rail down... so just something to be careful and watch out for... might consider moving the saddle up a bit... but honestly that locating should have more to do with your knee over pedal spindle (KOPS)

one last tidbit... work on tuning the pressure in those tires... you said you ride hardtail already so thats prob a given... but a few PSI can make a world of difference in comfort... and c'dale frames especially of that era aren't exactly known to be smooth riding frames lol (nor is the klein I have hanging in my garage... HUGE tubes and thing alu... I know the c'dale road frame was known as the harshest riding frame of the time (late 80 to early 90's as I recall)... tire pressure will help with that...

now go ride it and give us a ride report :)

on a side note... I've read of a ghetto "chains" type setup but it only works if you have discs... loop zip ties around the tire/rim... prob not as good as the studs but seems neat.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
12/22/13 11:12 p.m.
Woody wrote:
donalson wrote: on a side note... looks like you got your bike stand setup figured out nicely :)... but be careful with that kind of clamp if you ever get to some higher end thin wall alu or carbon frames, those things can munch em :(
Good to know. There's not a lot of high end stuff passing through my basement, though. That clamp has a Schwinn StingRay or some other old muscle bike in it most of the time.

also seen some poor shops mangle the cable stops with them :-/... guess it's easy to get in a rush and just over tighten the clamps... I need to get something like that myself, doing the old "flip the bike on the floor" kind of sucks and adjusting some things is next to impossible

on a side note about your schwinns... I went to a LBS a while back with my 8 y/o son... they are the old "schwinn shop" in town... they had a bunch of the stingrays... my son now REALLY wants a banana seat bike... seems like any for sale around here though are mexican style hot rod bikes, small wheel up front with huge raked fork and chain link "bars"... either way when we saw em thought of your nice little collection :)

Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/22/13 11:13 p.m.

It's too bad that you're so far away. There are currently too many Schwinns in the basement.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
12/22/13 11:20 p.m.

ah that's it... looks like a good way to add bit of traction... sure it's not as good as the studs... but good grassroots solution lol

Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/22/13 11:25 p.m.

Note that he even alternated the direction of the zip ties.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
12/23/13 7:18 a.m.

Somewhere in my collection of bike stuff, I have a set of those Headshok to 1 1/8" headset adapters. Originally bought for my own Delta V when I toyed with making it into a DS bike (then bought a Chameleon instead).

Yes - be careful clamping onto the seat tube. IIRC, it's internally butted once it gets a few inches down past the weld area for the top tube and seat stays.

The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
12/23/13 8:01 a.m.

Good stuff!

efahl
efahl New Reader
12/23/13 1:23 p.m.

I would ditch the toe clips altogether and get some BMX pedals, especially for winter use. I've done my share of winter commuting, used clips in the '70s and '80s, then clipless road pedals, then mountain spuds and finally just said screw it and use spiky platforms for commuters now (still have Speedplays on all my road/tt bikes, SPDs on the mtbs, recumbent and tandem).

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
12/23/13 4:12 p.m.

In reply to efahl:

Crank Bros. pedals seem to work ok in the snow. I've never had a problem with them getting mucked up with ice.

Speaking of snow bikes:

http://www.blessthisstuff.com/stuff/sports/radical-sports/ktrack-snow-bike-kit/

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler Dork
12/23/13 4:28 p.m.

Headshok!!! I love it. That was the era when I was HEAVY into mountain bikes. My 1992 Trek 950 has an early air/oil shock which weighs a ton but still does the job. I put a bunch of miles on that thing in the 90s before I got my Gary Fisher.

I really need to get back into mountain biking.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/23/13 4:45 p.m.

Okay, okay...I moved the seat forward...

The front fender seems to have gotten lost in the mail. I know it's Christmas time, but it was supposed to be delivered on or before the 19th. It came from New York by first class mail and according to the tracking number, it has been in Oklahoma since the 16th and hasn't moved since. Grrrr....

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Reader
12/23/13 7:42 p.m.

Woody, Apologies for the threadjack. Couldn't help tossing this, on the topic of snow biking..

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3578717&postcount=784

donalson
donalson PowerDork
12/23/13 8:30 p.m.
OHSCrifle wrote: Woody, Apologies for the threadjack. Couldn't help tossing this, on the topic of snow biking.. http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3578717&postcount=784

lol fatbike is where I was originally thinking this was going when I clicked in... the fact that you can get them for under a grand now amazes me (bikesdirect @$700)

Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/23/13 10:07 p.m.

Wow.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/fat-bikes.htm

donalson
donalson PowerDork
12/24/13 12:08 a.m.
Woody wrote: Wow. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/fat-bikes.htm

yup... thats the one... if I lived a little closer to the beach I would consider buying one lol...

Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/28/13 4:26 p.m.

Now featuring 100% more front fender!

photo DeltaV600002_zpsdb60bb6a.jpg

I had to made a few modifications to make it work. With the original fender mount in place, the tires were dragging. Admittedly, it would have worked fine with normal tires. I removed the SKS mounting brackets, drilled some holes and attached it with cable ties. It is surprisingly solid.

photo DeltaV600010_zps52a6f3a9.jpg

I also had to do a little work to get it to clear the front brake assembly.

photo DeltaV600007_zps186d5eb8.jpg

photo DeltaV600005_zpsba469fcc.jpg

It's officially ready to ride. Unfortunately, all the snow has melted already, but it's supposed to get nasty again after the start of the new year.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Wlug473dNuIaBnJGAuSnpRyxxzibRHwuUGPejPeh2KETTYjd0Ill6ttNrjHflKUX