2 3 4 5
jj
jj HalfDork
12/20/18 5:10 p.m.

Does anyone know why the intake valves are different colors?

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
12/20/18 5:56 p.m.

It’s normal.  It’s because they are being wetted by fuel more than the exhaust.  I find the different exhaust valves a little more worrisome, but honestly that looks pretty clean.

jj
jj HalfDork
12/29/18 11:32 p.m.

Got the heads disabled and roughly cleaned. I’ve started porting them after doing a lot of research.  

Here is a before and after of smoothing out the exhaust bowl mostly focusing on the inboard wall.   Just this (x8) took four and a half hours. Who knew porting iron heads was so time consuming! laugh

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
12/30/18 12:43 a.m.

It’s definitely a labor of love.  I looked at a carb legal TFS twisted wedge in person yesterday and that is the easy button.

Air grinders and big carbide bits are faster but can lead too oopsies, I cut off too much.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Dork
12/30/18 8:46 a.m.

I had someone port a set of E7s for my 79 panther LTD. They were much improved, but no comparison to a good aftermarket head.

The other cheap option is the GT40p head from the explorer. The exhaust port position is unique, so regular headers won't line up, however.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
12/30/18 9:44 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

It’s not really the ports that are a problem on the GT40P; it’s the revised spark plug angle.  The E7s and regular GT40s have about a 60 degree angle into the head.  On the P heads the angle puts the plug more towards the center of the combustion chamber.  The angle is around 20 degrees or so.

The ports are almost identical.  Either way new headers might be needed.

jj
jj HalfDork
12/31/18 7:28 p.m.

Had I not already spent money on porting the stock intake manifold, this would’ve been when I bought some real heads. As it is I am hoping for an extra 15 cfm on each side.  Between the intake manifold and lightly ported heads, I would be satisfied with an extra 20whp. 

The porting work is done as of today. Next is to get the heads clean. Then clean and lap the valves. I also ended up buying new valve seals once I realized how much work this is and my desire to not do it again. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
1/1/19 1:07 a.m.

If you have the heads apart, it’s super smart to do the seals and it’s cheap.  Please get the modern silicone based metal insert valve cover gaskets too.  I’d love to use them, but I’m on a challenge budget.  I bet you will hit your goals too.  You are doing smart work and have reasonable expectations.

jj
jj HalfDork
1/9/19 2:17 p.m.

I found a scratch on one of the heads. Right across the fire ring part of the gasket. It’s deep enough to catch a nail on.  I may risk it but I’m really not sure. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
1/9/19 2:59 p.m.

You could have your heads milled 0.01” which would clean that up, raise compression and ensure all cylinders seal better.  It’s pretty economical too.

jj
jj HalfDork
1/9/19 4:18 p.m.

Yes I figured I might as well. I just dropped them off for a clean and surface. It cost more than I thought at $250, but that’s the only place without driving an hour plus. 

jj
jj HalfDork
1/14/19 6:50 p.m.

Heads are back and reassembled. I hope to have everything done and driving it this week.  The machine shop guy talked me out of lapping the valves. 

Once things are together I will do some runs again with the dyno app. 

Here is everything that was done:

• Lower intake ported by Tmoss 
  • Intake ports matched to heads
  • Smoothed out the sharp transitions on intake/exhaust short side radius
  • Straightened out the bowl to throat on the inboard side of exhaust port
  • Slightly smoothed the exhaust bumps. All the info I found said removing them completely hurts flow at low lift. 
  • Narrowed valve guides and smoothed out the transitions around them. 
  • Smoothed sharp edges in intake bowl
  • Removed a very small amount of material from pushrod bulges in intake port
  • Deshrouded the valves in the chamber

These were all small changes. I didn’t go too crazy in removing material because I’m trying to get things done. I hope to be driving soon!  The only thing that could be trouble is getting the power steering pulley back on. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
1/14/19 8:25 p.m.

Looks good!  I cannot understand why all Ford pulleys bolt on except power steering.  This has annoyed me for years!  

jj
jj HalfDork
1/18/19 7:33 p.m.

Well it’s all back together now.  With some bad news, it looks like one of the back corner lower intake manifold bolts has stripped a little bit. I was on the final torque and I’ve felt the torque plateau and then went another third of a turn without it increasing. Not sure how that happened because I chased the threads and used ARP hardware.  I’m really hoping it holds because I’m a little tired of this project at the moment. But even if I have to tear back into it, if I just wait a month or so I’ll get new energy.

Tomorrow I will add fluids and see how it does. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
1/18/19 8:32 p.m.

In reply to jj :

You can do a helicoil repair if needed.  Not ideal, but it’ll get you up and running.  You made good progress pretty quick.

jj
jj HalfDork
1/18/19 8:56 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Thanks. I’m hoping it will hold. I will drive it around a bit to see if it leaks. My wife is tired of me working on it so much and is trying to talk me into selling it and buying a new car for racing. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Dork
1/18/19 10:47 p.m.
jj said:

In reply to AnthonyGS :

My wife is tired of me working on it so much and is trying to talk me into selling it and buying a new car for racing. 

I'm confused. Is it backwards day?

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
1/19/19 10:35 a.m.
jj said:

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Thanks. I’m hoping it will hold. I will drive it around a bit to see if it leaks. My wife is tired of me working on it so much and is trying to talk me into selling it and buying a new car for racing. 

That sounds oddly familiar.  My wife would prefer that I sell all the cars I have and buy 1 car that's brand new, under warranty that does everything.  That way I'm not spending time out in the garage tinkering with all my cars. 

I do have to admit to a certain amount of logic behind that but then I'm risking a much more expensive, brand new car on track.  That if anything happens I can't get to work on Monday plus it won't have any safety equipment installed....

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
1/19/19 10:42 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I've kind of heard and had the same sentiment, but honestly I have way more fun messing around with something that isn't as expensive.  It also leaves me more funds to save for kid's school, retirement, etc.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
1/19/19 11:16 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Tinkering with cars is a hobby I enjoy.  If I have something brand new that I can't really tinker with, I know I'll get restless and buy something to tinker with.

Besides the fact that there just aren't very many cars I'm interested in that'll hit the "one size fits all" button that I need.  Need to carry kids, dog, work with an active lifestyle, fun to drive, POWAH!, all wheel drive, decent at the track.  Some hot hatches come to mind like the Focus RS, Golf R, STi etc but that's about it. 

The no safety equipment and no car to get to work if something happens are a real issue tho.  I try to do all the work on the cars when I'm solo on Fridays, or at night when the kids are in bed.  I'm almost done with the miata, a valve cover gasket, inspect the timing belt at the same time, then get it thru smog.  If it passes, then pull the drivers seat for a foamectomy and fix the tear, install the momo steering wheel, install a wide band O2 and drive it.

911 needs spark plugs/coil packs, then its all set.  GX needs an oil change and tire rotation.  So basic stuff really...

jj
jj HalfDork
1/19/19 11:49 a.m.
Floating Doc said:
jj said:

In reply to AnthonyGS :

My wife is tired of me working on it so much and is trying to talk me into selling it and buying a new car for racing. 

I'm confused. Is it backwards day?

It’s confusing to me also, she hates spending money.  I see her point, but I also like the idea of an old beat up car for racing. There’s no way I would drill holes in a new interior to mount new gauges etc.  But then again my definition of tinkering never involves taking the heads off. I would have to lose about 6g on this car and also some on the truck. 

Today I will add fluids, let it come up to temp idling for a bit, then take it for a drive. I guess changing oil would be smart Incase some grit got in there. 

jj
jj HalfDork
1/19/19 3:22 p.m.

Well it runs!  No leaks so far. There is a small stumble at very light throttle, but on acceleration it seems fine. I’ll just have to put more miles on to see if coolant is disappearing or if the oil goes milkshake. 

Here is a 2nd gear pull. I like being able to go 75 in 2nd!

https://youtu.be/PjQa3Oj0Ch4

oh, and SOTP says it’s only slightly faster, but once I get some runs with the dyno app I’ll know a bit better. 

jj
jj HalfDork
1/19/19 11:25 p.m.

A few more thoughts after driving more. It is definitely faster, and it’s most noticeable in the higher rpm. My shift light is set 5100, and previously the power would have plateaued and just started to drop off at that point. Now it is still climbing at 5100. Another thing is that in first gear, the tires break loose at 4500 rpm in a straight line. Even with 245, 200tw tires. 

That makes me wonder what trickery my 2014 Mustang GT was using, because I could put down all the power in first gear without spinning, on all season tires. I think that car had an additional 150whp. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
1/20/19 7:50 p.m.

The S197 is a much heavier car with a far better rear suspension and great traction control programming.  It really does help put all that power down.

jj
jj HalfDork
1/23/19 1:59 p.m.

So. With all the parts and work that I have listed here in this thread, especially from the first couple of posts, what would be a good asking price?  Interior is complete with the exception of carpet. Needs nothing. All is sorted. I think I have $12k invested. Won three events so far. 

2 3 4 5
Our Preferred Partners
ZLjy4xOhtbMNDuqMsYZh79rC56o6J1buJC3zp0WAPSH5BmcMO1fPwHFwniyXTUZ0