Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
3/6/19 7:07 a.m.

"You need to come get this Talon."

"Dude, you still have that thing?"

Ok fine if you insist...

Pic is from the current owner, I'll have more when I finally see it in person Friday evening.

Also how do you factor a free car into a Challenge budget? Asking for a friend.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
3/6/19 7:28 a.m.

So turbo or 420A? I still would love to get a 98-99 Talon but most of those are toast by now. That looks clean. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
3/6/19 7:36 a.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

Turbo 4g63 , awd, manual. I'm told ths car isn't as clean as it looks in that picture. And that picture is atleast 3 years old. But the price is "Come get it, I want the garage space for my BRZ."

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
3/6/19 7:43 a.m.

Ohhhh.....Looks like fun. :) Got to be better than the 2 primer ridden no straight body panels huge fart can ones that are in my hood. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/6/19 8:03 a.m.

I think you should just drop it off in ohio on your way back

Scottah
Scottah Dork
3/6/19 8:29 a.m.

Nice. Tell us what’s broken? If it has rusty strut tower, assume the rest of the shell is garb. Ask me how I know. 

See my cheap DSM build for reference. Awesome cars! Hated by those who have abused and ruined them. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Reader
3/6/19 8:37 a.m.

Oh berk yeah! Excited to see this one play out.

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
3/6/19 8:45 a.m.

I had a 1st gen awd in college. Super fun!  Until I was doing donuts in a field and found a big concrete culvert hidden by grass. Tweaked the chassis, smashed it up  and totaled it      :(

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
3/6/19 10:04 a.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

I had a 97 GSX from Oct-97 through June-00. I loved it, but in retrospect I’m glad I got rid of it when I did, as it was starting to have problems & wasn’t in a financial position to keep a car like that. 

There’s a 1G locally with a supposed bad clutch for $2500 that I’d buy today if SWMBO wouldn’t kill me for it(and I was still as financially irresponsible as I was then, which is questionable).

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Dork
3/6/19 11:21 a.m.

Ah yes, DSM... The only brand that's banned from my garage.  I have a lot of good memories of mine & my friends, and a WHOLE lot of bad memories!  

I hope it works out for you :)

J1000
J1000 New Reader
3/6/19 11:35 a.m.

Love DSMs! Yes I too witnessed the destruction of a clean TSI by a 16 year old back in the day too... Seems like a common theme.

BucketDSM
BucketDSM
3/6/19 12:26 p.m.

​​​​​​Hey guys. Just joined is forum I've seen people talking about the TSI. I just picked this TSI 2 months ago. Got a really sweet deal. Took home for 800. The car had been sitting since 2008 from what the owner stated he couldn't get it started. Towed it home went to the auto shop store bought new spark plugs Gaped them and it fired right up. Now it's become my daily. So many plans for it. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
3/6/19 12:37 p.m.

The car was a year round daily in Maryland, currently owned by a friend I met through another forum. He graduated with an engineering degree. Got a good job and moved to New York. He then brought a new BRZ and this car got parked in a garage because he didn't think it would pass inspection. I fully expect rust. Worst case scenario on the rust front is this becomes a parts car for another shell. From everything I've seen though it's solid enough to have some fun with for a bit before that happens.

So to catch everyone up. I'm driving for 2 days to claim a car I've never seen in person. When I already have another major project, and am doing it on a 3 day weekend with very limited margin for error on when I can be back. 

Like the title says. I'm berking dumb and will probably regret all of this very soon.  Or everything will turn out way better than expected and I'll get to save a friend's project and have fun doing it.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/6/19 1:28 p.m.

That's a deeeeep rabbit hole there. I owned exactly the same in white. It was great until a fragged a clutch and the motor at the same time, and it turned out my shock towers were terminal. 

idreamidrive
idreamidrive
3/6/19 2:16 p.m.

If you want any help, I am 3 hours away (Murray, KY) with some 1g dsm parts (some might fit) from my Galant VR4.

There was actually a 98 gst for sale around here for $1k, but I really didn't want fwd, let alone a 2nd gen. I would love to pick up a 1991 T/E/L AWD for the right price.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
3/6/19 2:39 p.m.

In reply to idreamidrive :

Thanks. I'll see what I end up needing as I get into it. If nothing else I'd like to see that VR4 sometime.

BOSSanac
BOSSanac New Reader
3/6/19 7:37 p.m.

I'm super interested in that car. Please get in touch with me. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
3/6/19 8:39 p.m.

Well the answer to "is it too early for a build thread?"

Yes. Yes it was. I had a car wreck on the way to work. There goes the stupid DSM rescue budget. I spoke to the owner, he's still holding onto the car and said he would rather get it running better before he lets it go anyway. The 3rd attempt may be a fly and drive but I have no clue when that's gonna be.

So yeah. Sorry to hype you guys up for nothing.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Mod Squad
3/6/19 11:57 p.m.

bummer dude, hang in there

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
3/7/19 9:38 a.m.

Yeah it sucks, good news is I shoved the door open, climbed back up to the road fine and woke up this morning feeling better than I usually do getting home from work. It was my mom's Honda I was driving and not my Saturn. Turns out the Honda is actually a bit of a tank.  Still waiting to see what kind of financial hit this is going to be but I think I'm coming out of this as good as one could hope for.

I'm just bummed about not being able to go get my new toy.

NickD
NickD UberDork
3/7/19 10:31 a.m.

I've always wanted an early cheese-wedge DSM. One of these days I'll pull the trigger on that bad decision

idreamidrive
idreamidrive New Reader
3/7/19 11:08 a.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

It's nothing special. Currently my kid hauler/distance travlerer/motorcycle tow pig during spring/summer/fall. Needs a new paint job as it spent most of its life in Tahoe getting sprayed with sand, but it is mostly rust free!

Sorry about the collision. They tend to suck. My back is still messed up from t boning a car that ran a stop sign while I was doing 45mph, and that was 16 years ago. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/31/19 1:52 p.m.

I just got a call from a friend in Indy with a lead on a $500 rust free AWD 2g roller with a built auto trans and a clean title that needs a 4g. 

Dammit I don't need another car but if I can still get the free Talon I might need this one.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 HalfDork
9/7/19 7:10 a.m.

I want a 1g tsi badly. I think you sir are actually a genius. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iaOstzVtXh0tahqFT92CMFFDpyN6v0Q9zZFkOKiVBhUu9PFEkdmIhBsl15Kyuzm7