2 3 4
NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
9/22/15 11:02 a.m.
Fr3AkAzOiD wrote:
jimbob_racing wrote: I can't wait to see details on the cost.
Same here. I actualy have the money saved up but if i did the v6 swap before the wife gets new kitchen floors and cabinets i have a feeling i will be sleeping in the garage.

So no downside Go for it!

m_walker26
m_walker26 Reader
9/24/15 12:17 p.m.

After a week of driving the Miata around town, on a couple of short trips, and inspecting if fully everyday I can find no leaks, no disconnected wires, no rattles, nothing. Several folks have commented on the professional, factory look of the installation. The engine swap turned exactly as I hoped. No problem. Ready for the next step.

Speaking of which.

I will be out of touch for a week or so. During which time the following will (should) happen:

The 94 parts car will give up it's axles, differential, and driveshaft to the Red Miata. The Red Miata will get TEIN suspension parts, new bushing where indicated, new brakes.

After Oct 1 the idea is to get the front lip spoiler that's on the parts car and transplant it to the Red Miata.

When I get back I will post a full list of parts, costs, and time frames.

And I have to get personalized plates for the car. I think I will name it Bandini.

Other cars in the fleet are named Tazio 2, Clark, and Red 6.

I was out this morning driving the car (top down of course) and marveling at how well things were starting to come together. Of course that usually foretells disaster around the corner. But I have been living right, sorta.

I fail in my attempts to convey how good the car feels and runs. It couldn't be better if it was factory new. Even the AC and Power steering are improved.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
10/3/15 9:10 a.m.

Awesome, good to hear.

m_walker26
m_walker26 Reader
10/6/15 9:03 a.m.

Here is the cost summary I promised.

I started out with a budget of $10,000. I had never invested that much in an extra car before and certainly had not started out with a base and improved it by that much. I had always bought low buck cars, cleaned them up, fixed the little things, and flipped them. I've been buying CoPart cars, Craigslist finds, and tenant castoffs (I'm at a low income project). One of the guys I work with participates in my ventures. The biggest deal up to now was a caged RX7 we retrieved from Ohio, dropped a SBC in, and sold.

This may be my last hurrah so I decided to finally go big time. I gave myself a budget of $10,000 but more importantly I committed to spending the money and effort to get the job done quickly and correctly. No two year projects, no make do with less than optimal, do it right and come up with a quick, good handling, special car dependable enough for cross country travel. So far I have done nothing to the interior or stereo (those will be later) or wheels and tires (also later).

Here's what I spent so far:

1995 Mazda NA 2500

Superfast
JV6 Package
J32A2 Vtec 280HP
Arizona Perf ECU & Wiring
Misc Parts & Hdwe
Final Drive Gear Set
Labor

TEIN coilovers              579.95
Brake kit               146.5
New pedal pads              22.45

Notes: For a full estimate if you have the work done add $1,000 for brake and suspension work. BJ at Superfast matched their quote exactly. You may have more/less done. I am hoping to recover some cost by selling the 1.8 that came out of the car.

I am very pleased with the quality of the fit and finish of the swap. Before the suspension and brake upgrades the car was a joy to drive. I am as pleased as can be with the whole process and the results.

Harvey
Harvey Dork
10/6/15 10:22 a.m.

Sounds like it was worth it. 280hp must be fantastic.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
10/6/15 12:17 p.m.

Thanks for the breakdown. I was wondering, what was the cost just for the engine swap? I'd bet most of us are curious about the breakdown on the separate costs of the engine, misc parts, wiring and labor to do everything.

Rogue
Rogue New Reader
10/6/15 1:19 p.m.

So what is your take on the oil pan and ground clearance?

m_walker26
m_walker26 Reader
10/6/15 2:01 p.m.
  1. Yes, 280hp is a blast.
  2. I think BJ at Superfast (MiniTec) would be the go to person for a itemized quote. He was very easy to work with on getting just what I wanted and needed done. As an example, before I took my car to them he and I discussed how I was going to use the car and I decided to go with a 3.3 rearend. Not technically part of the swap but parts were included in my cost. Someone else might forego that item or have them install suspension upgrades or brakes. All those things affect the costs.
  3. The only time anything has scraped is on the monster speed bump at work. Caution and angle approach avoided the scrape in subsequent trips. My Toyota Tacoma 4wd also scrapes on the same bump. My friend Roy was looking at the oil pan/oil filter area, got intrigued, inspected further, and declared the oil pan a work of art.
NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
10/7/15 7:50 a.m.

When you compare this to the $25,000 that V8 Roadsters needs to put an LFX in the Miata, it looks like good value.

Rogue
Rogue New Reader
10/8/15 1:59 a.m.

so what hangs the lowest…..crossmember, oil pan or starter? PIC?

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k0TTdFHgAFkWBTLBaLit5KegJqF2LPui2dSPZSiK485RXeHbh6BDwV7mzKjZNxwp