1 2
PatM211
PatM211 New Reader
11/13/18 11:40 a.m.

I haven't got much work done on this car lately. My wife and I are trying to sell our house so I am busy doing some repairs and updating. Hopefully, it will sell soon so I can purchase a house with more garage space. Got the exhaust welded up and painted but I still have to mount it. I'm leaning towards halving the passenger door so only the top half will open. The reason is that when opening and closing it the pipe gets hung up sometimes. I don't want to have to deal with it. Plus I could make a skirt that seals off the pipe to the door for less exhaust intrusion.  Like this.

PatM211
PatM211 New Reader
11/13/18 11:43 a.m.

In reply to Ram50Ron :

I'm using a Creality CR-10 and PLA for now. I just got a sample of carbon fiber PLA in last Friday. I haven't had a chance to test it yet. Hopefully I will be printing in something tougher like ABS or similar soon. 

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron Reader
11/13/18 12:53 p.m.

In reply to PatM211 :

Nice! I love my CR-10S! I would recommend getting a 0.6mm steel nozzle for anything that has fiber in it. I've clogged a lot of nozzles thinking I can make it work.  Also an enclosure will help a lot for ABS, that polymer is a real pain without good thermal management.  You may want to look into some higher temp filaments moving forward PLA will get pretty soft even inside a car on a hot summer's day.

PatM211
PatM211 New Reader
11/30/18 1:58 p.m.

In reply to Ram50Ron :

Thanks for the info about the 0.6mm tip. I tried to print with CF PLA and it was a terrible experience. The layer adhesion was the worst I've ever seen and it was super brittle.

Anyway here is a recent print I did. It's a NACA duct. I made two of them. I had an idea to strengthen these 3D printed parts by coating them in fiberglass resin after coarse sanding. It worked amazingly well. Here are some pics.

I love how they came out.

Here is a project I'm working on for my wife's cousin. He has a sports racer and asked if I could print some vents to vent his front fenders. I love the design and will likely end up using a pair my self.  I hope they print well.

My theory is with the kick up at the tail of each vent will act as a kind of wing/wicker bill to aid in the extraction of air from the wheel wells. Dimensions are 7 x 10.5.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3hMT16J4sOz1foFxjSWR4242qv6so1dsZoTXQx62jFO0yc1zKzUjJ7hYJzR2xHt4