ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
8/13/18 4:53 p.m.

I put the numbers on the roof tonight. Lay out the numbers

Outline in tape

Make a few strategic cuts with a razor blade and remove the paper patterns

Outline with more masking tape

Realize at this point that I'm doing it all wrong. I want to paint the roof blue with red numbers outlined in white. This making setup won't get me there. Rip off everything but the green tape and clean it up some.

You win some you lose some. Until next time.

-Sean

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
8/19/18 5:04 p.m.

One color down

It might need a second coat. But I have to wait at least 24 hours before I can do that.

-Sean

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
8/19/18 7:31 p.m.

Wow, that look elaborate!

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
8/19/18 8:13 p.m.

Yeah. It kind of is. I've gone through almost 200 yards of 1/8" masking tape and probably another 50 yards of the wider stuff. Although, the pictured area is definitely one of the most dense from a masking perspective. There are other areas that are just one color.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
8/21/18 12:06 a.m.

Started to put on the blue earlier today and opened the can to find that the paint had started to cure inside. It was the consistency of Elmer's glue.

That's not going to work. Thankfully I was able to exchange it for a new can at Tractor Supply without any hassle.

Much better. It took the better part of a quart and 3 hours to cover what I needed to on the van in blue. But it's done for now.

I think both the red and blue are going to need a second coat for proper coverage. They are a little thin in places right now. The hardener is working well. The paint is hard and very glossy, if not very flat. For rolling and brushing it on by hand, I think that it is turning out well. And this is going to be just what GRM requested: very bright and colorful.

Until next time.

-Sean

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
8/21/18 8:16 a.m.

What is your mix ratio for rolling? Looking forward to how yours turns out. 

I think I’m going to end up rolling the Q”Ute”

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
8/21/18 9:19 a.m.

I just went with what was on the cans: 1/2 a pint of hardener to a gallon of paint. I think that worked out to 16:1 (paint : hardener). I didn't use any thinner.

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
8/21/18 10:25 a.m.

I usually need to remove the tape while the paint is still a bit wet.  I hope you don't have chipping problems.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
8/21/18 11:04 a.m.

Yeah. I figure that I'm going to have to run a razor blade along the edges to release the tape. I'll try a small test section first without doing that to see if I can get away with it, but I'm not holding out much hope.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
8/30/18 9:14 p.m.

I put the second coat of blue on tonight. It looks like that will do it.

Before:

After:

I've got to do the door jambs and panel gaps yet. But it looks like I'll end up using less than a third of a gallon of the blue. I'll have to prorate that in the budget later.

I also painted up the license plate and the numbers on the tailgate.

Second coat of red next and then I finally get to unwrap this present and see how it looks. Until next time.

-Sean

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
9/8/18 6:54 p.m.

Second coat of red on the van tonight. It's looking good. I also decided to color in the embossed Chevy logo on the rear bumper. I'll clean it up after the paint has finished curing.

Until next time.

-Sean

java230
java230 UltraDork
9/8/18 6:58 p.m.

Man I want to see it all unmasked. 

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
9/9/18 3:31 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

Welcome to the club. Thankfully the paint has cured and I can do that. I took 40 minutes to afternoon to unmask the section of the van that I've been showing here.

It's going to look sweet! laugh

-Sean

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
9/12/18 4:23 p.m.

Unmasking complete. It turned out really well. It's no show car. But it will shine at the Challenge. Lots of used masking tape.

And the roof number turned out.

Yes, I'm standing on the roof in socks. But my elbows are hooked over the rafters of the garage and I'm standing over what amounts to the roll structure between the B-pillars.

I really want to share pictures of how the van looks now, but I think I'm going to hold off until it's reassembled for the full effect. And that is going to have to wait until I put on the third color (fourth if you count the van's original white) and do the pinstriping.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention, I'm going to learn how to pinstripe on this. Basically I'm going to put a thin black line over every color transition. On my BMW it really made the paint scheme pop. My brush just came in today. It's so tiny

Until next time.

-Sean

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
9/12/18 6:03 p.m.

The third/fourth color is on. Just a pop of yellow on each side.

-Sean

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/12/18 8:10 p.m.

In reply to ShawneeCreek :

I got into pinstriping several years ago. With the good brushes like you have it’s pretty easy to draw nice long smooth lines. Just practice a bit to get a feel for brush angle/tilt, and plan ahead for going around corners. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
9/12/18 8:40 p.m.

NASVAN livery??? YES

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
9/13/18 6:01 a.m.

Thanks Pete. It's encouraging to know that it shouldn't be too difficult to pick up. And this is a good project to learn on. It doesn't have to be perfect.

Maschinbau, not NASCAR inspired actually. Although the roof number does have that feel to it, especially being common with Jeff Gordon's number. The inspiration for this livery was designed to turn both left and right on a regular basis. It was decently successful at it too.

-Sean

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
9/13/18 6:26 p.m.

A little more progress tonight. I painted the door jambs and panel gaps around the hood. I also started bolting things back onto the van like door handles and turn signals. As I went to put the electric mirrors back I noticed that they were quite heavy. "How heavy?" you ask. I to was curious, so I got out the scale. 3 pounds and 4.2 ounces, EACH! when removed from their mounting brackets.

They will not be going back on. I'll cut back the mounting brackets, paint them, and bolt then back on to cover the holes in the door.

Until next time.

-Sean

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
9/19/18 7:15 p.m.

Race vans don't need no stinking interior.

Or carpets

Weight loss achieved. I also found my participation ribbon from $2016.

I'll put the driver's seat back in after I clean up the floor. Hoping to work on the pinstripes tomorrow.

-Sean

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/19/18 7:22 p.m.

Every time I open this thread I feverishly scroll down hoping for pictures of the paint. At this point I'm starting to believe we won't get to see the whole van until the Challenge. sad

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
9/19/18 8:27 p.m.

Don't worry, I'll reveal it before then. I just want it to be complete for the full effect. I'm hoping that's going to be this weekend. Then I'll go back and post all of the progress pictures that I took along the way.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
9/21/18 4:02 p.m.

Alright. I'm tired of keeping this to myself. I present the newly rebranded...

APV.R

There are still a few finishing touches, including the pinstripes to do. But this is the overall effect.

-Sean

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/21/18 4:09 p.m.

Holy berkeleying E36 M3 balls that's beautiful

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
9/21/18 4:13 p.m.

Er...

mah...

gerd!

i would never not drive that!