1 2 3 4
lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
4/24/18 7:37 a.m.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
4/24/18 7:37 a.m.

I'm laughing because the car is dirty.  DIRTY?  That's it?!?!?  It has rockers, it has wheel wells, it has the bottoms of its a-pillars...you Southerners are so spoiled.  Anything that doesn't require 1.4 metric tons of new sheet metal and Bondo is cherry in my book. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UberDork
4/24/18 7:59 a.m.

I've seen worse, my E30 specifically. How hard is it to remove the carpet in one piece? Do that, soak it in Simple Green, powerwash it, and put it back.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/24/18 8:22 a.m.

It would be interesting to see how much profit you could make flipping it, by washing it. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
4/24/18 8:29 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I'm betting a fair bit! 

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
4/24/18 9:03 a.m.

If dropping off a car at Duece's place means it gets washed, polished, cleaned and overall improved, I claim next in line!

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
4/24/18 9:06 a.m.

My sister had a new edge v6 mustang, and that thing was TOUGH. It just wouldn't die. Her crackhead ex husband had an anti-midas touch. Everything he touched, he turned to E36 M3. He broke everything he ever drove.

But that Mustang.

It finally met it's demise when it sat in the yard with leaking brakes and a dead alternator. He junked it for a fix.

I'm glad he's gone from her life.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
4/24/18 9:07 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I'm not cleaning, I'm evaluating. 

Evaluate with a bit more pressurized water and cleaners.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
4/24/18 9:08 a.m.
BoostedBrandon said:

If dropping off a car at Duece's place means it gets washed, polished, cleaned and overall improved, I claim next in line!

Hmmmm.....

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
4/24/18 9:10 a.m.

I really want to get Seth out here to do the full detail on my duster. Imaginewhat he could do starting with something nice!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/24/18 9:54 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I'm not cleaning, I'm evaluating. 

That doesn't look bad.  Possibly better than the Forester you just cleaned up. 

I also have a mental image of Mrs Deuce coming home, seeing a torn apart Mustang that isn't part of the Deuce-fleet and just shaking her head... "well... it keeps him mostly out of trouble..."

nlevine
nlevine New Reader
4/24/18 9:56 a.m.

With a bunch of work, you can actually make something pretty quick out of a V6 'stang. This older thread on ImprovedTouring.com shows the length some folks will go, within a given rule-set, to optimize the performance of one of these things - https://improvedtouring.com/showthread.php?29254-ITS-Ford-Mustang(s)-Build-Stripper-Stang-Part-II

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/24/18 10:04 a.m.

I keep wanting one of those for a rallycross car. 

I know it won't be competitive but I'm pretty sure it would be fun to drive in the dirt. 

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
4/24/18 10:49 a.m.
BoostedBrandon said:

That's what I'm saying!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/24/18 10:49 a.m.

Seeing Seth's idea of not working on cars.  Seth, would you like to stop over in SE Michigan on your way to the UP this year?  I have a couple of absolutely NOT PROJECT cars that really don't need cleaning or minor work.  I promise not tell you where my toolbox or parts are of course...honest...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/24/18 10:50 a.m.

Actually not joking.  Seth, you really need to plan at least a 24 hour stop over in Metro Detroit for a GTG with the locals.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/24/18 10:51 a.m.

Slammo is a real grown up with a real job that sometimes has funny hours. I haven't told him that I'm doing this yet. laugh

We did figure out the tank grommet thing yesterday and one is on the way, thanks for confirming though. 

Carpet comes out easily. 

The only thing is this one strip that goes under the bracket that is riveted into place that needs to be cut. 

I'm going for "floor mat clean." Just clean enough that a good set of floor mats will make it look clean. It's worse than the Forester I think. 

This is all the plastic you need to pull to get all the fuzzy bits out of the interior. Everything else will be wiped down in place I think. I should probably wash the seatbelts too. 

I'm up to $2.91 including a 1945 wheat penny and a Harris County toll token. That's like finding $291 and a rare coin in your new $30k car. 

There's still a LOT of broken stuff on this car. I do need to talk to Slammo and remember that it's not my car and I don't want it to be. This was all on a bit of a whim this morning. Everyone got up early and I had an extra 40 minutes before we had to leave for school and it was early and it only takes a second to pull the seats to see and..... here we are. I clearly enjoy this work, probably moreso than the 'real' mechanical work. Oh, I washed the seats too. 

The orthodontist wants to hang out with my kid so it's time to be done for the day. 

artur1808
artur1808 New Reader
4/24/18 11:31 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

[...]

I'm up to $2.91 including a 1945 wheat penny and a Harris County toll token. That's like finding $291 and a rare coin in your new $30k car. 

[...]

Love this analogy. If you don't think about it too long, it almost makes the car seem worth it. Almost.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/24/18 11:53 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

Seeing Seth's idea of not working on cars.  Seth, would you like to stop over in SE Michigan on your way to the UP this year?  I have a couple of absolutely NOT PROJECT cars that really don't need cleaning or minor work.  I promise not tell you where my toolbox or parts are of course...honest...

And feel free to swing by Philly to "NOT WORK" as well on your way to the UP. 

davefla
davefla New Reader
4/24/18 2:06 p.m.

It's not yet time for me to channel my inner Ghost Rider. But someone near me has been trying to sell a decent looking, blue, '98 V6 5MT coupe for a while...

How hard can it be to turn one into a first autocrosser, anyway?

grover
grover Reader
4/24/18 2:08 p.m.

I bought another old truck with rough carpets, this encourages me.  

mazdeuce - Seth
4/24/18 2:57 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

I do want to stop by. Maybe fetch parts if this becomes a Challenge car?laugh

Along that line, Slammo asked about Challenge rules as he was leaving and I can't not think about that. I think we could build a 1/4 budget car. Half budget would let us blow it up with N2O.

Notmycarnotmycarnotmycar....

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
4/24/18 3:18 p.m.
Slammo said:

Pretty sure the first thing M'zdeuce said when he saw it was "You overpaid."  The car was $300.  I'm afraid he's right.

For those keeping record, I did clean off the windshield at the first gas station we found.  Before that, there was a pile of sticks/leaves/dirt there and on the cowl.

If it still has solid sheet metal you could make a tenfold profit on that hauling it up here.

mazdeuce - Seth
4/24/18 6:31 p.m.

Carpet is shot. I still think I can figure out how to use generous floor mats to make it look good. Problem for the future, it's going back in like this. At least it's clean. 

Fancy speakers under the rear deck. 

Two more cents and a guitar pick. I used them for scale next to the bad spot on the passenger floor so you guys can shut it about "rust free". cheeky

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
4/24/18 6:47 p.m.

The math changes if it does go Challenge, but otherwise I'd be doing a quick Google for new carpets. They might be so cheap as to make the effort of reinstalling (and thus touching) that husk less worthwhile.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rvTyhibiH7HmRumZBI4zoe4PlD8rx67HiHZbEwjgotkbtWKhDoZud0jokl18khNE