4 5 6 7
Antihero
Antihero HalfDork
4/30/18 5:28 p.m.

If you like cleaning up dirty cars, do i ever have the work truck for you! lol

i once had a whining noise that i couldnt figure out, wasnt wheel bearings or any other usual suspects but it changed with speed. Turns out my windshield weather stripping had torn the slightest amount  on the driver side. Put a dot of super glue to cover the the literal 1/8th rip and it stopped forever.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
5/1/18 12:28 p.m.

^That happened to me with a 944. Right in the middle of the top of the windshield. I had to have someone ride with me with a mechanic's stethoscope to find it.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
5/1/18 12:41 p.m.
Antihero said:

i once had a whining noise that i couldnt figure out, wasnt wheel bearings or any other usual suspects but it changed with speed. Turns out my windshield weather stripping had torn the slightest amount  on the driver side. Put a dot of super glue to cover the the literal 1/8th rip and it stopped forever.

Man, I have an inconsistent whistle on the Boxster that's driving me nuts.  Some times it will start at 40mph and just get louder, other times it wont happen at all , all the way up too eerrrr, autobahn speeds shall we say.  Other it will start at 60 and be gone by 80.  It can literally change on the same drive.  Top up or down, still does/doesn't happen.  I'm sure it's something around the windshield, doors, weather strip, panel alignment, but I just can't figure it out.

Antihero
Antihero HalfDork
5/1/18 7:15 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
Antihero said:

Man, I have an inconsistent whistle on the Boxster that's driving me nuts.  Some times it will start at 40mph and just get louder, other times it wont happen at all , all the way up too eerrrr, autobahn speeds shall we say.  Other it will start at 60 and be gone by 80.  It can literally change on the same drive.  Top up or down, still does/doesn't happen.  I'm sure it's something around the windshield, doors, weather strip, panel alignment, but I just can't figure it out.

Same here, i finally figured it out because it was super windy and it changed pitch with wind gusts. Probably one of the easiest and stupidest repairs ive had to do.

I was just about to change tires and wheel bearings too lol

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/16/18 9:34 a.m.

Found the exhaust leak. 

The four cats on this thing are one giant solid piece y pipe. Heading off to see if I can get someone to weld it up for me. 

mazdeuce - Seth
5/16/18 2:20 p.m.

Found my new favorite exhaust shop. $10 to weld it and advice about rerouting the AC condensate so that it doesn't leak cold water onto a hot header and do it again. Good people. 

And broke a second stud while pulling off the wheel to put in the first. Apparently this is the new game. At least you can knock them out and draw new ones in without taking anything apart, which is nice. 

Crackers
Crackers Dork
5/16/18 4:52 p.m.

I'm not usually "that guy" but I'd probably go ahead and put a whole new set of pug studs on it.

Slammo
Slammo New Reader
5/16/18 5:46 p.m.

Agh.  Of course Mazdeuce was right that it needed a full set.  This car is becoming less and less gambler with time.

...How much was a full set of new studs again?

mazdeuce - Seth
5/17/18 6:42 a.m.

Are wheel studs exempted in the Challenge budget? I just checked and the $2019 Challenge is literally the weekend after the Arkansas Gambler500 date that you sent me. laugh

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
5/17/18 7:43 a.m.

GRM Challenge Rules said:

These safety items are budget-exempt: seat belt or harness; fire extinguisher; roll bar padding; wheel lugs, studs and bolts, and four tires. Brake friction materials, lines, calipers, master cylinders, rotors and drums may be replaced with fresh ones that are functional duplicates. The purpose of this rule is to allow for fresh brake components, not to allow for budget shenanigans. For example, original brake parts cannot be sold and then re-bought to take advantage of this allowance.

http://www.grmchallenge.com/rules/ (5/17/18)

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
5/17/18 8:12 a.m.

I'm getting the impression that "changing out lugs" is the GRM equivalent of "changing your own oil"  or maybe "refill your own washer fluid"  cheeky

mazdeuce - Seth
5/17/18 10:11 a.m.

The car is riding on the cheapest tires WalMart would sell me. Douglas sounds like a wholesome guy though, I'm no too worried. 

I brought them to the new tire shed down the road for mounting. $50 for mounting, balancing and disposal of the old carcasses was half what WalMart was going to charge me. My new favorite tire guy. 
Car drives much better. Rear end still whines though I like to believe that it's less now. Any change a fluid change might quiet it down? What else to check? 
I'm going to hold off on 20 new studs until we determine if the rear end is with us for the long haul. As the car sits now it's just about time to throw on some insurance and get a 30 day plate and sort out the bugs. I'm going to suggest that I take Mrs. Deuce on a date in it. We'll see how that goes. laugh

mazdeuce - Seth
5/17/18 2:28 p.m.

I keep thinking I need to do something useful but instead I keep working on the Mustang. sad

Texas has some fun registration run arounds. You can't register a car without an inspection, but you can't legally drive to an inspection station without being registered. On top of that, if you need to fix a car to get it to pass inspection you need to be able to drive it to a shop. In it's infinite wisdom the state gave us a way around that, the 30 day tag. Bring in proof insurance and for $1 a day you get a legal temporary tag for 30 days. Because cars take a while to fix sometimes, you can renew this tag twice for a total of 90 days. They intend this to be a stop gap to let you legally fix and register cars. The fun part of that is you're insuring and tagging a car that you don't own yet in the eyes of the state, which means that you can also insure and tag a car that you have no intention of ever owning. Registration is $1 a day. Insuring this crappy car costs me another $1 a day. I've already driven it 25 miles around the neighborhood and tweaked the alignment some. It's better now, but I need to work on it some more. Next is seeing if I can't quiet down the rear end. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
5/17/18 2:33 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Damn, I thought TexASS was supposed to have an ultra hands off Government?  Here in Michigan you just need to show proof of insurance to register a car, that's it.  They either give you a plate there and then or if you want a special one or vanity they give you a paper tag, no extra cost.  See I knew I lived in the best State in the Union.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Reader
5/17/18 2:38 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

Ohio is the same way. Hell you dont even have to show proof of insurance, they just ask if you ahve it. 

mazdeuce - Seth
5/17/18 2:39 p.m.

Well, keep in mind we're not entirely sure who has the title to this car. It's certainly not me. 
I feel like when I lived in Michigan they kind of wanted to see that sort of stuff, but maybe not? 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
5/17/18 2:54 p.m.

You do need a title, even in the Laze-faire rust belt. But there are ways around that, like with my hot rod project where I just had to mail a form, stamp a VIN, get a police to stop by, and voila! I literally made a car and got a new title for it via mail. Oh, Indiana.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/17/18 5:52 p.m.

I found a similar loop hole in Ohio.  I have been buying Salvage Vehicles which can not be registered until an inspection by the State.  However, with a bill of sale, you can get a 45 day temp tag.  When I buy the salvage cars I get a title (branded Salvage) and a bill of sale (which does not say Salvage).  

I leave the title at home and with just the bill of sale I can get a $17.50 temp tag for 45 days and "appear" legal. I send my insurance rep the VIN and next thing you know, I have liability insurance.  

It ain't perfect, and it has flaws but it works for me.  

mazdeuce - Seth
5/18/18 12:51 p.m.

I'm asking about the rear end noise over in this other thread and the answer is "it's probably dying". Right then. I looked around on the internet and wondered if putting in heavy fluid might help. Everything I read said it was a fools errand so I decided to give it a try. 

The fluid had a significant quantity of gold shiny stuff, but not a lot on the magnetic fill plug. Bearing stuff? 

I'm not sure how much lash the system is supposed to have, but it feels like a lot. The ring and pinion look good but the side and spider gears look like someone did about 200 miles of one wheel burnouts. I'll take pictures the next time, because a test drive concluded that the noise is still there. Of course there is also a throwout bearing noise and some sort of wobbly front end thing going on. All sorts of fun. This is the tag off the differential. Did they put a worse rear end in the Mustang in 1997? I doubt it. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
5/18/18 2:28 p.m.

I believe that says it's a 2.73:1 7.5" open diff.  Did the 97's get a worse rear axle?  No.  Prior to 85 all Fox bodies got 7.5" rear ends.  After that the V6's got an open 7.5" diff and the V8 cars got the 8.8" with LSD (the clutch pack traction lock) up until 2011 with the launch of the 305hp V6 then all cars got 8.8" diffs.

mazdeuce - Seth
5/19/18 1:53 p.m.

The car came with 19 of these weird lug luts that came from somewhere else and held on a center cap from whatever the donor vechicle was. Another broken lug had me down to 18, and all had varrying degrees of wheel aluminum sticking to them in a ring near the base. Not sure why that is. I've never seen it before. I grabbed a set of 20 on Amazon for $11.50. They're better. 

Drove deucekid#3 to her basketball game this morning. She says the Mustang is much much worse than the Accord though she likes the tweed seats. 

Deucekid#1 has a formal band banquet tonight. She has a date. I told her we're taking the Mustang. She says "Why would you do that?"

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
5/19/18 5:58 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Deucekid#1 has a formal band banquet tonight. She has a date. I told her we're taking the Mustang. She says "Why would you do that?"

I'm surprised her complaint wasn't: "why are you even driving me in the first place!?"

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
5/19/18 6:09 p.m.

The band banquet and you're not even considering the 'hey' I've arrived R63......tsk tsk tsk shame on you frown

s

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
12/27/18 7:36 a.m.

This is my kind of thread! Any updates?

mazdeuce - Seth
12/27/18 8:17 a.m.

Neither Slammo or I hate it enough to get rid of it, but also don't like it enough to move it forward in the line of project cars that each of us have. I should start it when I get home just because. 

4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
68uiolbAc0QDJyHZDTgZW7MRaFOVUknzBRWp6o9lMcSBxasdgMaJnolAvOh8rI08